“Will be coming back for take-out”

Belly's Southern Pride BBQ
Ranked #98 of 215 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Like a previous reviewer stated it's more for pick-up / take-out. The food (we had BBQ pork sandwiches) was good and we will definitely come back for pick-up / take-out but probably won't eat there again. The staff was super nice. The cole slaw is a little different that traditional southern slaw but I liked it. It was kind of like gourmet slaw! Be aware that the closer it is to closing time the more likely they are to be out of stuff. They were out of quite a few things we tried to order. So if you are entertaining, make sure you order ahead! It was a nice change to the other busy BBQ restaurant in town.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Love love love this place ... The BBQ is great!!! Best we've had around here so far by far ...

The Smoked then Fried Wings are simply wonderful ...

We'll be eating here ... a lot ...

1  Thank Rick_Sineath
Reviewed April 6, 2014

First of all, be aware that this is mostly a take out place. There are 3 café tables, only room for 2 at each, and one small regular table which might seat 3. I had the smoked chicken sandwich, just OK although the mustard sauce was wonderful. Baked beans were above average, but the cole sale had green peppers in it, not for me! My husband had the pulled pork and it was really good. Everything is served in Styrofoam take out containers, takes up a lot of space on the tiny tables, and plasticware is all they have. Might come back to try the ribs, but I didn't see them on the menu.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

when the spare ribs are right they are about as good as it gets anywhere. Tender. Juicy. Barky on the outside. A little peppery. Marrow trying to squeeze out the end of the bone. About 20% of the time they are tough, gray and flavorless. It hurts the pocketbook when you buy 2 or 3 lbs ($30) and you drive 25 mins home and the ribs are awful. I've even tried to slow cook them some more, but that doesn't fix it. I don't buy them that often because of the consistency, but when they are right the ribs are AWESOME. I've talked about it twice with them and threw them away about 5 times ($150). Both times they said they couldn't get the right ribs, but there is no excuse for bland, tough, gray ribs when you have the right equipment. Obviously someone there has the talent to make THE BEST ribs, but it doesn't happen consistently. It's sort of maddening when you consider they are only open 2 days a week. They care more about catering. They could grow this business but I guess it's just not worth it.
The chopped pork is ALWAYS yummy. I love the vinegar based. The red sauce is incredible! The sliced brisket is just about always dry. I've tried it several times because I love brisket, but it's always dry. I suppose if you like it chopped w/ sauce it's fantastic, but I only like it sliced without sauce. Just about every time we get the brisket we end up chopping it and saucing it or no one will eat it. Chopped and sauced it's awesome. The smoked chickens are 99% fantastic, as good as it gets. I have had one or two that didn't have enough color(still tender and smokey) on them for me but usually they have brown delicious crispy skin and tender, moist, smokey goodness on the inside. Love the chicken. I like this place and a lot of times when I have company I will go in there and get a couple of chickens and a couple pounds of everything else and it's a HUGE hit. Especially when the ribs are good. The guys are nice inside and they give me a big alum. pan to warm up my catering. I'd give it a 4 star if the sliced brisket was good. Another star could be achieved by consistency on ribs.

2  Thank Samuel C
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I actually was going to the restaurant next door but they were closed. As we were leaving, we smelled the food from Belly's and went in. The owners were great! The food at Belly's is delicious! My kids love it and so do I. I had the ribs, which are a must have. Next time I'm in SC, I will try to stop by here again.