“Excellent Service but the Food Ranges from Good to Average to Bad”
Review of Daddy Mac's Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Daddy Mac's Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Bar
Richmond, Virginia
“Excellent Service but the Food Ranges from Good to Average to Bad”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

My Mother, my Aunt, and I all went to this restaurant a few days ago when I was in town visiting them. The atmosphere was just like your average mid-priced steakhouse (though it's not technically a steakhouse) with tables, booths, and low lighting. The service was excellent and I tipped accordingly; the waiter was patient but prompt, friendly, and corrected any issues swiftly. The waiter even kept our drinks so filled that we never had to even think about wanting more in our cup and I will say that my tea was excellent.
We ordered the croissants for an appetizer. They were five for about five dollars. They were passable but there wasn't anything special about them and they honestly tasted warm but store bought and/or frozen. They were rather dense and not especially flaky even though the flavor was pretty good. I saw that the burgers had gotten some recommendations by other reviewers on other websites so I decided to order the Atomic Burger with fries even though I am not someone that would ordinarily order a hamburger in a sit down, full service environment. My Mother ordered one of their specials for that night, the half rack of ribs with a salad and a loaded baked potato. My Aunt ordered their signature Daddy Mac's lobster macaroni and cheese. Keep in mind, that the burger was around ten dollars, the ribs were around seventeen dollars, and the lobster macaroni was around seventeen dollars as well, so you would expect exceptional food at those prices.
My Mother's salad seemed like just your average side salad and it came with two cups of packaged dressing on the side. When I first got my burger, it was missing the side of aioli sauce, the hot sauce, and the extra bacon I had ordered. The burger was also pink in the middle. To their credit, I sent it back and they corrected the issues quickly. Once I actually got to enjoy it, it was actually a pretty good spicy burger but I don't think I would go out of my way to order it again. The fries were just average, nothing special. My Mother liked her ribs and I sampled them myself and they were actually really good although not the best ribs I had ever had. She said she also liked her loaded baked potato. My Aunt didn't like her macaroni dish even though it's supposedly one of their signature dishes and when my Mother sampled it, she said it was just so-so and that she wouldn't order it. Also, most people would assume that they would mix the lobster into the macaroni but when you get the dish, it's just a lobster tail on top of the macaroni. Her garlic bread on the side was terrible, totally inedible. It tasted like they had poured the entire container of garlic powder on top of the bread.
I feel like for the prices in a casual dining restaurant in South Carolina, the food should have been consistently good and not varied so widely in quality. It also made no sense that the macaroni should be so bad to average but also be a signature dish, so much so that the place is called "Daddy Mac's." The service is good but that alone would not be worth those prices for that food. It seems like it would be a better place to go for a decent lunch with friends or coworkers then a good place to have a great dinner with your family.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank katyarborough

Lexington, South Carolina
“Decent Bar but Can't say much for Restaurant”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

My family and I visited Daddy Mac's last week and were highly disappointed. We were sat and waited approx. 10-15 minutes before we had to ask about our waiter. Once he showed up he was a very cordial guy and got us whatever we needed. My wife ordered the pork chops and they were OK. Her sides were Mac & Cheese and asparagus. The others in our party ordered the strip steak; which had a good taste, but was like eating the sole of your shoe it was so tough. The other sides we had were broccoli and cheese and a side salad. The side salad was the best thing we had, but how hard is it to mess up a salad. Now, as far as their signature Mac & Cheese... well if they would have given me noodles and Velveeta I would not have known the difference. This restaurant is way over priced and I would not recommend it to my friends or family. Even if you do have a coupon from the Deal Saver......Save Your Money!!!!!

• Visited June 2014