“Average Food”

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I recently ate at the Old Mill Pub in Lexington and the food was average. I had a chicken panini and the bread was hard and the chicken needed more spice, it was kinda blah tasting and just needed more pizazz! One person eating with us got the steak and he said his was excellent.
My wife had soup, she-crab soup and salad and she thought it was OK but she compares it to the Charleston Crab House which she thinks is the best around.
The prices were reasonable but the service could use some tweaking. We most likely will go back and give it another try but there are other restaurants that we will consider first.

1  Thank Robbie H

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Was recommend to us by a guy from the area as a good place to get a beer and have a bite to eat. Had a few local and beers after telling the bar tender (Doug) what what I was in the mood and her choose perfectly! Very wide selection of seasonal, local, and other microbrews on tap...and hopefully soon they will have their own (end of Dec I heard).
TV's with different sports on around the bar area.

UPDATE: Went in for a few beers and food on Halloween night and most employees got into the holiday. I ate the Old Mill Burger (8oz burger, Pimento cheese, fried green tomatoes, applewood smoked bacon and pepper gravy) and noticed right away they aren't using regular salt on their fries but Kosher instead!
My co-worker ended up with a "The Missle Crisis" (aka Cuban) and it looked and smelled so dang good I had stop eating fries, have another beer and snag one myself...
Wish I lived here so I could enjoy this food every time I wanted it!

All the employees we chatted with (some kitchen staff, Doug, and the bartender - Jamie (might be mis-spelling it) we really great and the locals made you feel at home.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Restaurants do not seem to last very long at this location for whatever reason.
The latest is Old Mill Brew Pub and our recent experience here was also just average.

The Mom just wanted an app and went with the Fried Green Tomatoes,she enjoyed the breading and said the tomatoes were tasty.
The better half went with a burger and sweet potato fries,which she said was ok.
I ordered a cup of Dead Guy Gumbo,it was tasty but I did not find any spiced sausage in my cup??
I also ordered a shrimp poboy,the bread used is like the worst ever....its hard and split on both sides so all the filling ends up on the plate,table,floor etc....
I ended up just eating the shrimp and leaving the bagel style roll for the doggie bag.
The shrimp were small but the breading was tasty and the remoulade added a nice kick.
My poboy also ended up on the table without the lettuce tomato and onion that is advertised on the menu,in our servers defense I did tell her no tomato ;-)

Nice atmosphere,was able to watch some of the NC game on the large telly on the wall.
As for previous posters mentioning this as a brewery,the vats are just for display from what I observed.

1  Thank CarolinaCoopers
Reviewed September 16, 2013

GOOGLE IT.

As a long time transplant to Lexington, I so long to find that one place where I can just be a "regular"... I've always thought that Lexington's Old Mill was a great venue, but mistakenly thought the Old Mill Brew pub might be my "regular" place. After tonight however, the goal is still elusive.

Seating - Sitting in the back is not an option here, it's dark, it's the thoroughfare to the toilets and given the lackluster service, you might just be forgotten back there. So it's either the bar, which only has 3 good seats, or outside on the patio if the weather is good, but for the no-see-ums, sand fleas, mosquitoes and the humidity. All 3 of the good seats were taken this time, so we sat facing the brick wall and the big screen, while Doug, the task saturated barkeep just assumed ESPN was appropriate. Never bothered to ask even though we were the only ones facing the wall.

Food - The London (traditional fish and chips) is good. The burgers just ok, oversold southern recipes. Haven't gotten a chance to try anything else yet. Skip to the last paragraph and you'll see that it may be a long time till we go back.

Beer - Reinheitsgebot? Did you Google it yet? I'm just not a fan of adjunct beers nor overly hopped IPAs nor most bathtub ales for that matter. It's fine if others are, but have some choices for those of us who aren't fans... With almost 20 beers on tap couldn't there at least be 2 or maybe 4 lagers to choose from? Even the bottle selection is almost exclusively ales, hopped to high heaven, wheat, fruit and adjunct beers. How about keeping a 6 pack of Bitburger or Pils on ice just for us purity law celebrants?

Joggers?!!!! - Midway through my burger tonight, a group of "fitness enthusiasts" came in and sat right next to me. The gentleman closest to me was radiating body heat and still in full sweat from his "just ended" exercise session. He and his fellow workout partners (women) stunk like a locker room after summer football practice. The thing is, the owners of the Brew pub are actually encouraging patrons in this "post workout - pre shower" condition with their "jog and beer" session sponsorships.

The owners need to really decide what they want to do here...run an extension annex to Wolf's gym that serves beer? or get serious about running a restaurant/brew pub with better service, more consistent food and showered patrons.

2  Thank bunnypuffer
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Old Mill does not have their brewing act together, although they appear to be working toward the goal. The tanks are in, but nothing's in them. They have a fairly respectable assortment of beers and such, although nothing to rival downtown Columbia's Flying Saucer. The food - meh. Their Cuban sandwich resembles from Calle Ocho in Miami, more of a pork sandwich. Tasty, but not Cuban, just served on a plain sub roll with chopped pickles (?), not squashed in a sandwich press. Our party seemed to enjoy the nachos, which were plentiful. I ordered a burger. Bar food classic, right? It was the most tasteless burger I have ever eaten. The texture of the meat was strange, like it had been ground to mush before a passing acquaintance with the grill. Maybe ground in a food processor? No flavor, and served luke warm with an equally tasteless pink tomato slice. Service was slooooow, on a Tuesday night when the restaurant wasn't very crowded and there seemed to be plenty of servers present. One of the lights on the outdoor deck was out, although it may have made the pond behind the restaurant look more attractive.

It's unlikely we will return.