“COMPLETELY INSULTING!!!”

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2012

For my high school prom me and my friends chose to eat at Cotton Grill due to great reviews we had heard about it. We had made a reservation for just four people. It was my friend and her boyfriend and me and my boyfriend's sister. My boyfriend would have came to prom with me rather than his sister but he was at basic Training for the Army at this time.
The reason for my complaint is not the food it was delicious, the atmosphere was alright, and the service was alright as well. My boyfriend's sister, whom is 21, decided she wanted a beer. She wasn't driving, so none of us felt it would be a problem, and it was well over two hours before prom would even start. Prior to even showing her their drink menu the waiter asked her to see her ID, which she had and showed him confirming her age. She then told her her choice, he left, and brought it to her. While waiting for our meal, a random woman approached us, laughing and rude saying "congratulations on getting the beer, your waiter is an idiot for allowing you to get one. He wouldn't have even been able to tell if it was fake or not." Even though this woman had not even seen the license's of hers. When we asked her what she was even talking about, she continued laughing in our faces. My boyfriend's sister then asked if she would like to see it for herself. She denied and laughed and told us "Good job" to enjoy our night.
Once we received our meal, we asked our waiter to speak to the manager, not because of anything he had done. He then told us the woman we had just spoken to was the manager. We informed him we felt it was very unprofessional of how she approached us, she didn't know the circumstances of why this 21 year old lady was attending prom with me, and that it was uncalled for and rude. He apologized looking surprised when we told him what she had said and that she referred to him as an idiot.
My boyfriend's sister then asked for another beer, to make a point. It took him 15 minutes to bring us one then saying how much hell he had to go through to get it. When we received our bill, she wasn't even charged.
**I feel sorry for the people who deal with the woman there. It is so unprofessional to approach someone like that in a restaurant. If they had such suspensions they should have denied her the beer in the first place. Will not be returning ever again.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

The setting is really pretty, the service was very good. I wish the server had known a little more about wine and pairings with the daily specials. But I had the crabcakes with fried green tomatoes which was very good. The baked brie appetizer was ok, it was mostly puff pastry with very little cheese but the taste was good.

I would return, but order something different probably.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I want to love the Cotton Grill, really. But with food as bad as this, I'm surprised they are still in business. I had the grilled scallops which were really small for their $22 price. They were overcooked and tasteless. The collards were pretty good, but probably too spicy for most. The green beans were the best of the trio, but what does that really say about a meal on which you just spent $30. My wife had the pan fried flounder. No kidding, this was the worst fish dish she has ever had and the worst fish dish I have ever tasted - $17 for what can best be described as bland fish mush. Our friend had the she-crab soup and she liked it.

They do have happy hour drink prices, but only at the bar. What??? You'll pay full price if you actually dine there and spend more money. Bad marketing.

The restaurant is in an old mill that has been restored and is a great restaurant setting. The service was actually quite good, but not good enough to overcome the bad food. Save your appetite for Travinia's or Ganbei restaurants while in Lexington.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

My girlfriend and I ate at the Cotton Grill this past Spring trying their 2 dinners for $30 date night special. I'd been by the place a few times and seen their new Southern cuisine menu online. The atmosphere was very nice with the choice of local artists' renderings of Southern themed landscapes and abstract works blending nicely to create a uniquely modern but also homey feel. The food was great. I had the fried chicken which was boneless white meat fried in what seemed to be a tempura style seasoned batter served over garlic mashed potatoes with a side of traditional collard greens. For dessert we had banana pudding served in a small jelly jar - a nice touch. We'll be going back!

Reviewed June 17, 2012

This was a very good lunch experience. The food was fresh, delicous, and interesting. The view of the outdoor lake was elegant. Easily the best restaurant in Lexington.

1  Thank Joe7SC