“Diva Chef, Ok Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Kovachi's - CLOSED

Kovachi's
Cuisines: Italian, American, Pizza
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Columbia, South Carolina
“Diva Chef, Ok Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

We ate dinner at Kovachi's on a Friday night. The atmosphere is pleasant. Although our server was new, she did her best to answer all our questions and was attentive. The problems started when my husband asked for the eggplant special, but wanted to substitute the marinara sauce for an alfredo sauce on the side as red sauce is not to his liking. The chef refused! So he then ordered an alfredo dish. I had the seafood special. It was ok. The seafood was over cooked and I had small bits of shells in almost every nite. I would venture to say that if it was just one issue it would have been ok, but with the attitude and the other choices in town we won't be back.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Hemming6

Lexington, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

We had a very nice when my family went out to dinner. The food was very good, and a lot of it! The server did a great job and the price was right! (Especially the $2 wine on Wednesdays.) The atmosphere was very cute and cozy. We will certainly go there again. Looking forward to the "kids eat free" on Monday and Tuesday. We sat out in the room off the main room and there wasn't any music playing out there. But that's the only negative thing I have to say. The place was awesome!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank pkeller_13
Lexington, South Carolina
“What a shame...or, How not to pizza.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

This quaint little place is everything Lexington needs. Interesting decor, cool inviting dining room with seating choices for every taste and a very homey bar! There's even a sunny "beer garden feel" outdoor area. Most importantly, escape from the strip mall locations that so constrain most of the other local eateries, is a true inspiration. Only one problem. The food totally sucks.

In all fairness mid afternoon on a Saturday might not be the best time to visit especially if there is a college football game, but how did they miss doing any marketing for that?!!!! The place should be packed, but was empty. I'm sure it's the hardest time of the week to hire descent help too. Could it be that the snotty hostitute that doubled as our waitress (who by the way isn't nearly attractive enough to pull of her little "attitude") has driven off some business? I still come back to the horrendously poorly prepared food, allow me to expound.

Beer, salad, Pizza. Should be easy right? Beer was nice and cold, plenty to choose from. Salads came, but they were much smaller than we were led to believe. We had some discussion with the waitress about possibly splitting a large greek salad, but she made the decision and brought us two smaller house salads instead, claiming cost savings for us. Just too small. Reasonably fresh ingredients, but unimaginative oil dressing on romaine with a few canned accoutrements. The obligatory kalamatra olive.

Next, some dried out - over cooked dinner roll things, that apparently come with an order. I think they'd been sitting out since last weekend. Anyhow they were heated, which just made it more obvious that they were over cooked, dried out, leftovers. Then a drizzle of oil, I guess to "revive" them before being dusted with canned parmesan. Several were burned and nearly inedible. But I was so hungry I ate them anyways.

Last came what Kovachi's calls pizza. Horribly undercooked - as if the kitchen was in a rush... Cheese just barely warmed into a gooey mess, then sliced without even a second to allow the pie to set, letting the runny mess soak into the undercooked crust. Where do they find the horrible non-italian sausage that they use in local pizzas in Lexington?!!! Frozen Italian sausage from the grocery store would be a better choice. Not par cooked, so the sausage was rubbery and tastes more like something you'd get with breakfast grits than on pizza anywhere else in the country. Lastly and most insulting? Large chunks of raw pink onion. I bet the cook couldn't define the word caramelization if his green card depended on it.

GO! Especially for a beer at the bar, but then order Marco's and have it delivered to Kovachi's or just go home...

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank bunnypuffer
Grovetown, Georgia
“Excellent, excellent, excellent!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

This was our second visit. Last month, we all tried pasta dishes and it was outstanding. This visit, we went with pizza and it was without a doubt, the best pizza that I have EVER had anywhere. Fresh ingredients, cooked to perfection, and great service. We live about 70 miles away, but will go back frequently. Yes, it's that good.

1 Thank r2davis65
Lexington, South Carolina, United States
“Michaels gone sad...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

it was a great place to eat when the chef Michael was still working there. but since he left it is not the same. will not recommend to my friends sine Micheal is gone. they should have never let me go.. to bad....

Visited February 2012