“Somebody Call Oprah!”

Shulers Barbecue
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Latta
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Buffet
Description: Casual, self serve buffet in a log cabin located on a pondOperating hours are Thursday, Friday, and Saturday Lunch Buffet: 11:30-2:30Dinner Buffet: 4:30-9:00Cash or Checks only - No debit or credit cards please.
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Shulers is not your ususal Buffet style joint. This place not only gives you the feeling of Nostalgia with all the succulent dishes. Going there made me feel like, "Is my deceased Grandmother back there in the kitchen?" Eating there will temp you to break at least one of the 10 commandments and a couple of the other biblical principles in the bible against glutony; or just the standard morals, self respect and discipline one should have when they sit down to eat. Everything (and I do mean Everything!) is just too good to be true! Then, they have a nerve to offer a Live Band on Thursdays. The first time I went, I didn't realize they only accepted cash, or checks. Well I had plastic. I scraped up enough cash to pay for my Daughter,and myself. Well, I was really pleased with the table attendant, and was so dissapointed that I didn't have enough to tip her. Why did Mrs. Patricia, the host, force money on me to tip Miss Sarah Elizabeth. The hospitality is as wonderful as the food. The Owner walks around like he's a friend of the owner just helping out a good friend. He's so humble. The establishment is very clean, the people are extremely courteous, the location is easy to find. It's probably best to say bring some loose fittig clothes, a nice tip, and a driver, because you don't want to do a thing but luxuriate in the essence of having experienced such a wonderful feast going on! The absolute Best Place to Eat in the Carolina's, is Shulers. No exaggerations. Oprah..., all I can say is, grab Stedman, and Gail, and run to Latta, SC. as soon as possible.

5  Thank Tina S

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I live in the middle of BBQ country in NC and pass by Shuler's on the way to Litchfield. I have eaten BBQ in NC (eastern and Lexington-style), Memphis, and Texas. All the food at Shuler's is outstanding. It is a great family restaurant with something for everyone. The desserts are homemade. The sides are country-style and are terrific. The fried chicken and chicken and dumplings are a favorite. The pork BBQ is very good, but I reserve my highest praise for the ribs. I honestly could eat them until I make myself sick. They are not your typical sticky-sauce ribs, nor are they Memphis dry rub. They are lightly seasoned and smoked to perfection ... the smoke is the star of the show. Sauce is available if that is your desire, but I found that I don't want it because the smoky flavor is perfect the way it is.

I actually plan my travel around being able to eat at Shuler's.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

This restaurant is in my hometown. The barbecue is different from the barbecue found in NC in that its not all about pulled/ chopped pork. Real barbecued chicken, not just baked chicken dunked in bbq sauce. Ribs, Chopped pork hot and mild. BBQ hash gravy. Chicken Bog, backbone and rice, fried chicken, home cooked country style vegetables and homemade dessert. Buffet style. Simply divine!

There was a small bbq haunt in the nearby cross roads of Mechanicsville years ago called Skeet's which I considered my teenage dining nirvana. Shulers is as good if not better. If driving through SC near Latta heading for the beach and its Thursday through Saturday evening you owe it to yourself to stop by!!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Shulers is one of my favorite barbecue places in South Carolina. Excellent Barbecue. They cook their pork the old fashioned way- in a slow burning pit out back. Great Family style restaurant. Everyone's friendly kind and courteous. Well worth stopping in on your way to the Beach. Excellent excellent food.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

The best food around! A must on the way to the beach. Great deserts, too. You don't see many like this one! Try it for yourself.

1  Thank Jenny843

Been to Shulers Barbecue? Share your experiences!