“Not going back very often”

Stone Soup Market & Cafe
Ranked #3 of 19 Restaurants in Landrum
Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Stone Soup is a casual fine dining establishment focused on hospitality and community. Nestled in the Carolina foothills of Landrum, South Carolina our restaurant is surrounded by beauty. Just as many regulars as visitors pass through our doors and each one is treated like family. If you're looking for a few drinks with friends, a dinner with the family, or a quiet date Stone Soup is here to cater to you.
Tryon, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not going back very often”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Perhaps the best food in the area and potentially the best dining experience BUT, and that is a very big but, for the prices, we really don't like being mistreated.
This used to be our # one restaurant choice in the area since being introduced in 2006. Then for no apparent reason, the place changed. Wait staff became rude. We were seated at the worst table in the restaurant in the hall by the restroom and kitchen door when most tables were empty. The owner became extremely offended when told the shrimp and grits were different every time and presented me with a recipe that had no quantities for seasonings. Then left in a huff when the runny grits were pointed out.
So, we go elsewhere, and I can understand why they aren't number 1.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Ellen J
Suzanne S, Owner at Stone Soup Market & Cafe, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
I apologize that you had a negative dining experience in our restaurant. Each customer is important and I and my staff, truly care about every customer. You mentioned the waitstaff was rude but didn't say how. I'd like to know so that I can address the situation and the individual. As far as being sat at table 11 (which is near the restroom but actually closer to a service station and no where near a kitchen door which is down below by the bar) is a favorite of some customers. The restaurant may have looked like it had a lot of empty tables but most are often reserved for other guests. We strive for consistency in all our recipes and if the shrimp & grits were runny I would want to know. I ask as many guests as possible and welcome their feed back so that we may improve your dining experience. I assure you I didn't run off "in a huff" as I am recovering from a severly broken leg & can't do much other than greet guests, answer the phone & ask how their dinner was. I gave you the only recipe for shrimp & grits that we have and while it didn't include quanities for the seasoning (the only seasoning being salt & pepper) it did provide you with other quanities for the ingredients. We season our food to taste so the recipe wouldn't have quanities for salt & pepper. I welcome you back to our restaurant and I'd be happy to buy you a shrimp & grits dinner on your return. Please call and make a reservation and I'll make sure your meal is taken care of. Sincerely, Suzanne

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Atmosphere and friendliness.”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Took forever to get served because our server failed to make the entry into their system. After exhausting our conversation bucket, and consuming the excellent bakery rolls, thank God for real butter, we were about full of wine and bread. Everyone else was served and leaving and we still had not received our orders. Finally the sever remembered to "place" the order with the kitchen. She was smart enough to appease us with "another round"! Nice to include our "BUDDY" at the table. We sat under the trellis. The staff brought water and a treat for Buddy. Even though I thought the bill should have been adjusted, party of four, I tipped very generously. Hope we are remembered when we again take local friends for evening meal.

2 Thank Stephen H
Palm City, Florida, USA
“Mediocre at best”
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Our family met for a weekday lunch recently. It took a really long time to get our food. The waiter came to tell us that they were out of the soup that was ordered. My quesadilla was bland, as was the salsa. The hamburger was large and very tasty. Nice, quaint atmosphere.

Visited October 2013
Providence, Rhode Island
“Sophisticated Country Fare”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

A true gem in the foothills. A cold drink, warm reception, and tasty fare. This place never disappoints. The menu changes frequently and is prepared with care. The Shrimp and Grits can't be beat. I've been eating there for years and never been let down. A definite go to restaurant and a considerable step above the fried food offered elsewhere in Landrum.

1 Thank FredfarfromHome
Boiling Springs, South Carolina, United States
“Bacon Jam Goodness!!!!”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I had the Bacon Jam Burger tonight and it was amazing the waitress said it was A great recipe with carmalized onions and applewood bacon and crusted with blue cheese. This is my new favorite at this place. The staff was on top of things as usual. I enjoy this place and the atmosphere its always welcoming and makes you feel like your a regular. I recommend this place to anyone...

• Visited October 2013

Been to Stone Soup Market & Cafe? Share your experiences!