“Hard to find places like this anymore.”

Stone Soup Market & Cafe
Ranked #2 of 19 Restaurants in Landrum
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Stone Soup is a casual fine dining establishment focused on hospitality and community. Nestled in the Carolina foothills of Landrum, South Carolina our restaurant is surrounded by beauty. Just as many regulars as visitors pass through our doors and each one is treated like family. If you're looking for a few drinks with friends, a dinner with the family, or a quiet date Stone Soup is here to cater to you.
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The atmosphere was wonderful. The restaurant is situated in the foothills of SC on the border of NC. The food was delicious and plentiful. You get what you pay for here. It was not cheap, but well worth it. Look at what you would pay at Arby's. I had mussels which was an appetizer, but it was a meal. Will return again.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Even though we don't limit our visits to Stone Soup to special occasions, we often choose it for celebrations like birthdays and anniversaries over other places in the area because of the excellent food and great atmosphere- I can say I haven't been disappointed any time I've eaten at Stone Soup!

Reviewed July 24, 2012

When living in a small community, it would be easy to get tired of the few restaurants available - but Stone Soup is always a treat! The atmosphere is warm and friendly. The decor suits our horse community but adds a European bistro flare. Most importantly, the food is always delicious and each time we go, there are new items to try on the menu. We enjoy the wine selection, the fresh ingredients used in the food preparation and the divine Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert (I cannot ever get past this dessert choice!). I love walking through the door because I know I am in for a relaxed and delicious meal every time.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

So I tried the Stone Soup last night for the first time and I have to say that it was one of the worst dining experiences I have ever had. Here is the play by play of the incident.
First some background: I am a member at a high end golf community in the area and unfortunately our clubhouse restaurant is currently closed on Thursday night so I took the recommendation from a friend at the club and made the trip to Landrum with some friends to try out the Stone Soup Market.
Upon arrival we walked in the front door and there was no one there to greet or seat so after a few moments I made my way into the bar area where I was eventually greeted by a lady who asked if I had reservations and then she asked if we would like to see the menu first; I may have misinterpreted her but the tone and look on her face suggested that we may not be able to afford the place and should probably look at the menu first (ironically, I am a fairly wealthy individual but I do not flaunt it and my casual dress may have thrown her off), I told her that the menu looked great and we would like to give it a try. I was then told that we could sit in the lounge somewhere because that was the only seating available. The lounge area was fine and the atmosphere was quite pleasant. We were promptly seated and drinks were quickly served although the waitress was very rushed and not entirely friendly but so far not too bad. After drinks arrived we were served bread that is identical in taste and texture to the bread I buy at Costco but it is good bread so not a problem. We then sat for awhile before the waitress returned to take our order and once again she was rushed and a bit short with us but they were busy and I can excuse that. My good friend order the pan seared salmon and he was asked how he would like it cooked, he asked if it was sushi grade and the waitress said yes so he asked that it be rare and just seared on either side. My friends wife ordered a salad and after a few tense questions from the waitress regarding whether or not that would be her entree we then moved on to my wife who ordered the chicken positano. Finally, I ordered a chicken and pasta dish but the name escapes me right now. I have to say that the menu has some very interesting and intriguing options. It took awhile for the food to arrive but we enjoyed conversation with our close friends. When the food did finally arrive the presentation was beautiful and everything looked good except that my friend's Salmon was obviously thoroughly cooked through and not seared as requested. So here is where things head downhill....My friend and I both ordered the potato dish on the waitress recommendation and unfortunately is was cold and tasted like it came right out of the refrigerator and into the microwave. I am not typically a picky eater or complainer but we both had to send the potato dish back and we were brought risotto instead which was delicious. The waitress brought my wife a water refill and unfortunately spilled it into her lap and then had the audacity to tell my wife "aw, you're all right". She was in fact "all right" albeit a little wet. My friend said that his Salmon was just ok and the chicken dish my wife ordered was not bad. However, my chicken pasta dish had a nice taste but after eating half of it I discovered that some of the chicken was still raw. I quickly brought this to the waitresses attention and she returned the dish to the kitchen and apologized saying that they certainly shouldn't serve raw chicken and she removed the item from our bill. My meal was pretty much ruined though and I spent last night sick with abdominal pain, etc. The experience of being treated poorly at arrival, being served raw chicken, and water in the lap pretty much makes this one of the worst dining experiences I have had a restaurant. I will certainly never return to the Stone Soup Market and I thought the experience was significant enough to warn others. Next time I am heading back to the Hare and the Hound or up to Saluda.

Suzanne S, Owner at Stone Soup Market & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

I can not apologize enough for your dining experience. I always welcome the opportunity to address a situation while guests are in the restaurant. I wish you had let me know while you were here so that I could correct the situation. I assure you the we all work very hard as a team to present beautiful, well cooked food and provide great service. We take pride in what we do and care very much about our guests dining experience.
We do not have a hostess stand but try to greet our guests as soon as possible upon arrival. It is common practice in restaurants to ask if you have a reservation. Many of our guests make reservations to ensure they will be able to dine with us. We do not have a dress code and do not judge people by their clothes. All are welcome to come in any clothes they feel comfortable.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Each time we visit family in Tryon/Columbus we drive by Stone Soup and tell ourselves we will eat here next time. Well, this time we did and we are so sorry it took us this long to stop. The service is friendly and helpful, the atmosphere is horse country warm and the food is wonderful. Menu items are prepared with local ingredients and changes every other month or so, depending on what is seasonal. We started with She Crab Soup (delicious) and tried the Shrimp and Grits Provencal (again delicious) and bone-in pork chops with housemade chutney and ratatouille (great!). So, if you are visiting the southwestern North Carolina area or the northwestern South Carolina area, do stop here and enjoy a terrific meal. They also offer brunch on Sundays!