“Relaxing as it gets”

Ranked #1 of 3 Landrum B&B and Inns
Charleston
“Relaxing as it gets”
Reviewed June 12, 2007

Me and my fiance traveled for an extended weekend just to get away from Charleston for a minute. We stopped in the Red Horse Inn for a night and could have easily stayed a month. We had the best sleep that I have had in many many years. The landscape and terrain is amazing and almost like a fairy tale. The next night we went camping and this is when I proposed to my lady. I could have never asked for a more wonderful introduction to my engagement weekend.

Thanks Red Horse Inn for everything.

Nathan Stephenson

• Liked — The landscape and attention to detail
  • Disliked — No real kitchen
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nathanCharleston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Atlanta GA
Reviewed March 20, 2007

The Red Horse Inn is the perfect getaway for rest, relaxation, quiet and/or romance. Our expectations were exceeded by the attention to detail - from the fluffy robes, the comfy chairs, the personalized welcome note with the weather forecast and the notebook with suggested restaurants and local sights. We stayed in the main house in the Aviary - a perfectly appointed room with windows on three sides giving lovely views of the property. And we loved the breakfast left in the "kitchen closet" so we could awaken at our leisure and dine in front of the gas log fireplace in our PJ's. Next time we visit we'll stay in one of the cottages and I'd be happy to not leave the property the entire stay. The innkeepers definitely got it right! They are to be commended for creating such a lovely place.

• Liked — The well appointed, spacious room and the attention to detail
  • Disliked — The climate control was "shared" by two rooms in the inn. Could present a problem guests did not agree on temperature.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NiniAtlantaGA
Pelzer, SC
Reviewed February 13, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Red Horse Inn as an early Valentine's Get-away. I must say it was by far the most romantic place we have stayed (and we have stayed at some really nice places). The views were wonderful and the breakfast in our room was very tasty and filling. You can eat at what ever time you want to. I have recommended The Red Horse Inn to all my friends and family. I can't wait to go back for another stay.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank vcoker
SC
Reviewed February 8, 2007

In an easy to find, but supremely private idyllic rural locale, The Red Horse Inn provides a beautiful setting for “get-away” trips. We keep coming back because there is simply nowhere else that meets our needs and desires like Red Horse. Three things in particular set it apart from most B&Bs: the setting, the attention to detail in the cottages and rooms, and the personalized, friendly service of the owners.

The designers/owners of Red Horse achieved their unique setting by first carefully choosing a 200 acre rural property on which to build. Although just a few miles from the shopping and dining available in Landrum, SC, their property is nevertheless secluded and pristine. Traveling up its long gravel drive past the lily ponds with their geese, the Inn and cottages greet you when you break from the woods on the high hill where the Inn is situated. Beyond a small vale sit the cottages sprinkled across the brow of another high hill. Horses graze in the pasture around the cottages, and mountains ring the whole view. In the opposite direction, the picturesque barn displays the same architectural style as the Inn. It all works together to create a comforting and peaceful welcome to your stay.

As for the design of the Inn and cottages themselves, each one that we have stayed in displays a different décor and ambience. Rather than converting an old residence to new uses, the owners have built each structure from the ground up, with a view to creating a comfortable, attractive and secluded get-away for their guests. Hand-hewn architectural touches abound within and without the rooms and cottages. The cottages are placed apart from each other to maximize privacy for their guests, and the rooms of the Inn have separate exterior entrances for the same purpose.

But what may be the greatest asset of the place are the owners themselves: Roger, Mary and Christian Wolters. Like experienced waiters in a fine restaurant, they are available if you need them and invisible when you don’t. They explain all rates and rules clearly at check-in, and from then on, everything about your stay has been designed by them to maximize your privacy. The kitchens in the cottages and the kitchenettes in the Inn are stocked with fresh and simple breakfast items so that you can dine on your own schedule and in the privacy of your quarters. Fresh-ground coffee and orange juice are stocked for your refreshment, and a small bottle of champagne greets you on your first night’s stay. Comfortable furnishings, distinctive décor and beautiful views make the rooms inviting for a week-end of leisure if you are so inclined. The Wolters stay out of your way, but are always ready for a chat if you are in the mood. With a thorough knowledge of the surrounding area, they can help you design a fun sight-seeing tour, horse-back ride or shopping trip. They are also up on the great dining opportunities available in near-by towns. They have made each stay a pleasure, and through their service-focused approach, have created a loyal cadre of return visitors.

I recommend them unreservedly to anyone who asks, and have sent friends and family to enjoy their singular hospitality. The Red Horse Inn is simply among the best that B&B’s have to offer.

• Liked — The service attitude of the owners.
  • Disliked — ?
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank CDexter
South Carolina
Reviewed February 1, 2007

Driving home after yet another wonderful "Red Horse Inn" weekend getaway with my husband, it occurred to me that there truly is no other place I’d rather go to get away from stress and responsibilities. In our 22 years of marriage my husband and I have stayed in some of the nicest accommodations across the country, and I can say without reservation that The Red Horse Inn is our absolute favorite place to go. Roger and Mary are delightful, considerate hosts whose genuine desire is to provide a relaxing, private romantic getaway for couples.

This past weekend was the eight or ninth stay for my husband and me at The Red Horse Inn. For us, each experience over the years has been perfect and unforgettable. This seems to be a common occurrence for anyone who has had the privilege of staying there. I’ve read through the guest books in each room or cottage in which we have stayed. Page after page -- literally hundreds of comments from folks from all over the country -- reflect our exact sentiments that The Red Horse Inn is a distinctive and exceptional escape from the world. Folks come for many different reasons – some just simply need to get away, many come to honeymoon or celebrate anniversaries, and still others come to renew relationships or to work on troubled ones. I even once brought my teenage daughter for a mother-daughter weekend. Whatever the reason, people leave refreshed and aching to come back again soon to the quiet and tranquility.

As for the accommodations, they are absolutely beautiful, comfortable and tastefully done with attention to the least detail. Each room or cottage has its own unique decor and feel with breath-taking views of the mountains. For those who love to antique like we do, there are many great shops in the Landrum area and some just down the road in Tryon and Saluda, NC. My only complaint is that the time always passes by much too quickly! For this homeschooling mother of six there is no place I feel more relaxed and pampered than at The Red Horse Inn.

• Liked — The privacy and the service.
  • Disliked — How fast the time flew!
2 Thank ANTKRSC
Columbia
Reviewed January 30, 2007

I have recently returned from my third stay at the Red Horse Inn. Previously, I had stayed in the cottages due to the unbelievable peace and privacy. But this time I stayed in the “Gable” room in the main inn. I can’t describe how pleased I was that, although I was in the proximity of several other rooms, the peace and privacy was almost equal to that of the cottages. Then to my surprise, the view was actually better than from the cottages (and the cottage views are great).

Men if you have any reason to take your wife away to some place special (honeymoon, anniversary, birthday, get yourself out of the doghouse, and my number one reason: life is just wearing you down and you, or your wife, need a retreat) this is the place for you. The décor is clean and eloquent but the construction is masculine. The hewn yellow pine floor planks, forged nails, abundant wood work and a rural setting keep you comfortable while enjoying such a high level of luxurious living.

Roger and Mary have done a superb job of developing a unique B&B that, in my opinion, creates the style and pampering of a traditional B&B and yet provides a level of privacy that a traditional B&B can’t touch.

The quaint towns of Landrum and Tryon provide excellent dining and diversions. And If you still want, or need, the services of a larger city, Spartanburg is a short drive away. These provide all the sources of entertainment and interaction that most anyone would what you want.

If food and socializing with fellow B&B guest are what you used to, the Red Horse Inn may not be what you are accustomed to. However, I would be shocked if you were anything less than delighted with the experience you would receive there.

• Liked — Setting and Privacy
4 Thank DInnFan
Augusta, Ga.
Reviewed January 14, 2007

The Red Horse Inn in Landrum S.C. is not like alot of Bed and Breakfasts where you feel like you are in someone's house. This B & B allows you to have complete privacy if that's what you desire. The mountain views from the Inn are great. The attention to small details are evident in the rooms and service. This Inn is made for couples wanting some quality time together. The East Room is very nice and comfortable (they claim it's their handicap room but you wouldn't notice). The area has some great restaurants to choose from and great drives into the mountain area's, if you need to leave the Inn!!

• Liked — Privacy and cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
3 Thank Blind-Willie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Landrum
Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville
1906 Pine Crest Inn
1906 Pine Crest Inn
#1 of 2 in Tryon
Saluda Mountain Lodge

Been to The Red Horse Inn? Share your experiences!