“2 nights and 2 days at the Red Horse Inn is the definition of an "amazing weekend".”
Review of The Red Horse Inn

The Red Horse Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Landrum B&B and Inns
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed March 15, 2010

I found this place's website while in Port Au Prince, Haiti during a long deployment for Earthquake Relief. I scheduled it with my girlfriend expecting a nice time to relax when my ship returned to Charleston. Upon arrival all of my expectations were blown away as I experienced the finest hospitality, genuine kindness, and superb mountain/country-side atmosphere anyone could ask for. The cottages are fine tuned to the smallest detail setting the mood for sparking romance into a blazing bonfire of good times and love for your partner. The area has plenty of places to explore, we chose to chase waterfalls and old-timey bridges for the day. The nearby town of Landrum had some nice places to dine for the evening, but the cottage called to us whilst we were away. Haha. I could go on and on about how epic this place is and how it continues to improve.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
leonardu06
Reviewed March 10, 2010

I'm a born and raised NYC boy so when I needed to get away from the hustle and bustle of the concrete jungle I came to RED HORSE INN... Simply put it was amazing .... I never even left my room. The tranquil environment and the beautiful scenery are enough to settle any hustler down... Mary was an AMAZING host .... Did I mention this place is AMAZING !!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed January 13, 2010

My wife of 44 yrs took it on herself to surprise me for our anniversary. We live within an hour of Red Horse Inn and with the weather being a possible factor it was perfect for us. Mary did a great job as innkeeper. We enjoyed the next day in Landrum & Tryon, small towns nearby, which have many antique shops, restaurants, & friendly people. One simple night and day to recharge the batteries was a good way to start the new year!

If you have read the one unhappy story about the bad wedding experience get the details first before you write them off!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
SC
Reviewed December 7, 2009

We recently held a wedding at the Red Horse Inn, The day was beautiful. As far as the view/backdrop it was utterly breathtaking. However, the food was cold when it was suppose to be hot. The wedding party had to serve the toast to the entire wedding becasue the even staff (Red Horse Inn Employees) werent doing much of anything. May be a great place for a couple trip but the Innkeeper (Mary) has no business doing events for large groups. She was very rude and blamed EVERYONE including the bride for the mishaps instead of taking responibility for the events that occured!

• Stayed September 2009
8 Thank AllWrong
TheRedHorseInn, owner at The Red Horse Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2010
In reading this comment, I am both surprised, hurt and truly devastated.
This is a young lady that came to us with concerns about her budget. She wanted an 80+ person wedding and when the caterer came in with the food budget, she cut the guest list in half.
When I went back to the caterer, he said he could not keep the price per person with this reduction of guests. Feeling sorry for the Bride and Groom, I agreed to do a very expensive stand-up hors d’oeuvres reception at my cost. Cheese and crackers with strawberries and grapes
brie, cheddar and asiago cheese, Swedish meat balls, chicken kebabs, stuffed mushrooms, spring salad, shrimp cocktail, mini ham/cheese croissants, crab cakes and vegetable quiche.

The day before the wedding, she brought in extra tables from a rental company, a surprise to me, because she contracted for a standing hors d’oeuvres reception, not a seated affair, which is a considerable difference in cost. Feeling concerned for her wedding, I said this would be my wedding gift to the couple.
She gave me her “time-line” (how she wanted things to progress) the day of the wedding.
Before the wedding, the chafing dishes were lit and filled with food.
The wedding went perfectly.
As the guests entered and served themselves, I realized that her guests didn’t know this was not a sit down affair and I wanted everything to be unquestionably perfect, so I had 2 of our helpers who were supposed to do housekeeping for our other guests, step in to help serve the remaining hot hors d’oeuvres and drinks.
All of the food came straight from the oven onto silver platters. Hot. All of the food in the chafing dishes had to be stirred to keep it from scorching. All, were bubbling hot. The girls continued to circulate, pouring drinks, serving food, flawlessly, and at no cost to her, but at an extra expense for us.

Her sister came to us early (prior to the Bride’s timeline) and asked us to move up the champagne toast. She was informed there was ample time and it was not necessary to move up the time, but she insisted.
So, of course, we weren’t ready, but because she insisted, everyone jumped in and moved as quickly as possible to accommodate her request. Her sister and mother helped, happily, and no one thought anything was out of place as it can be customary for the Bridesmaid to bring the Bride and Groom them their champagne.
Thinking everything was a complete success, I had one of the girls bring a present of 2 Red Horse Inn mugs to their room. I wrote them a lovely note and later an email wishing them a wonderful Honeymoon.
A week later I got a call from Beth. We talked about the wedding and we seemed to have a pleasant conversation. I told her I had taken on a lot, hoping she would realize how much I had given to her, but there was no thank you and no thank you for the mugs or the fact that we had given her the next level up at no additional charge.
The following day I received an email from her complaining about the final bill, which was the wine, beer and final gratuity, and she wanted to negotiate it.
This was when I realized her all future complaints would be all about money and trying to get me to give her money back. If she had gone to the credit card company, they would not have honored a chargeback, based on the contracts and the email chain.
But, this poor young lady, who had complained about costs, was somehow, at the last minute, able to afford to hire a horse and carriage, a harpist, and a trumpet player, but thought she could negotiate with me about my charges and that I would give her money back if she complained loudly enough, which she did.
She threatened to call the Better Business Bureau, which I welcomed, because I knew that when they saw the contracts and the email chain, they would get a clear picture of this young lady.
I am sorry that she used TripAdvisor as a forum and I thought that TripAdvisor did not allow this kind of behavior in their policies.
I am disappointed in myself, for being foolishly generous and kind and acting as a friend instead of a business person. Lesson learned and sadly, one of our last weddings.
Greenville, SC
Reviewed September 27, 2009

If you're looking for a bed and breakfast experience like no other, then The Red Horse Inn is for you. Located in the foothills of the upstate of South Carolina, and overlooking the Blue Ridge Mountains, the setting is perfect. Unlike other B&B's that are often a converted house, The Red Horse Inn offers 5 cottages that are designed with providing a relaxing and comfortable atmosphere. Each cottage has spectacular views of the mountains, adjoining horse pastures, and wooded areas. Having just returned from a weekend in the Springhouse, one of the cottages, I realized that I had not heard a jet plane all weekend, nor did I hear any road noise being generated by cars/trucks. I don't know about you, but our life in the city is constantly bombarded by noise and to be able to step out on the deck and just listen to the birds is a big thing. The cottage was great with the private hot-tub and super comfortable accomodations. The owners Mary and Roger catered to our every need including a fabulous filet mignon dinner that was delivered and setup in the cottage and tasted like it had been prepared by friends for a special occasion instead of restaurant food. The idyliic setting, the silence, the feeling of dropping off the planet for a couple of days are all worth the price of admission. The perfect place for a honeymoon, anniversary or romantic getaway, I would recommend The Red Horse Inn as a place that you will go back to time and time again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Anderson, SC
Reviewed July 20, 2009

My husband and I just spent 4 days at The Red Horse Inn after renewing our vows on our 37th anniversary. This was the most romantic and peaceful place I think we have even been. Mary and Roger were so plesant, and thought of so many details which made our trip such a pleasure. We had such a magnificent view from our own private courtyard. The mountains, white picket fences, their resque horse, and cottages were so peaceful to admire! Our breakfasts were delicious and served with such care and attention.
We will definitely be back - hopefully on every anniversary from now on!
Thanks so much Mary and Roger! I am posting a few of our pictures for you to see and others to admire! Smiles... Steve & Nancy

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StartingOver2009
Greer, South Carolina
Reviewed June 22, 2009

My friend and I left the Grove Park Inn and begin our journey to Atlanta. We spent Thursday night with Mary & Roger at The Red Horse Inn in Landrum. The inn and its surrounding cottages offer a romantic escape from noise and distraction. We stayed in the Dove Cote room and it was fantastic. We were impressed with the personalization of our greeting, the wonderful linens and our fluffy bath robes. The breakfast stored in our room fridge was perfect in the morning.

We both commented on the peacefulness. The mountain views are gorgeour and the accomondations were flawless.

I highly suggested that you visit the inn if you are traveling in the area. Mary offers discounted tickets to the Biltmore and other local attractions.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Landrum
Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville
1906 Pine Crest Inn
1906 Pine Crest Inn
#1 of 2 in Tryon
Glassy View Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Red Horse Inn? Share your experiences!