“The ultimate getaway.”

Ranked #1 of 3 Landrum B&B and Inns
Greenville, SC
“The ultimate getaway.”
Reviewed September 27, 2009

If you're looking for a bed and breakfast experience like no other, then The Red Horse Inn is for you. Located in the foothills of the upstate of South Carolina, and overlooking the Blue Ridge Mountains, the setting is perfect. Unlike other B&B's that are often a converted house, The Red Horse Inn offers 5 cottages that are designed with providing a relaxing and comfortable atmosphere. Each cottage has spectacular views of the mountains, adjoining horse pastures, and wooded areas. Having just returned from a weekend in the Springhouse, one of the cottages, I realized that I had not heard a jet plane all weekend, nor did I hear any road noise being generated by cars/trucks. I don't know about you, but our life in the city is constantly bombarded by noise and to be able to step out on the deck and just listen to the birds is a big thing. The cottage was great with the private hot-tub and super comfortable accomodations. The owners Mary and Roger catered to our every need including a fabulous filet mignon dinner that was delivered and setup in the cottage and tasted like it had been prepared by friends for a special occasion instead of restaurant food. The idyliic setting, the silence, the feeling of dropping off the planet for a couple of days are all worth the price of admission. The perfect place for a honeymoon, anniversary or romantic getaway, I would recommend The Red Horse Inn as a place that you will go back to time and time again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Anderson, SC
Reviewed July 20, 2009

My husband and I just spent 4 days at The Red Horse Inn after renewing our vows on our 37th anniversary. This was the most romantic and peaceful place I think we have even been. Mary and Roger were so plesant, and thought of so many details which made our trip such a pleasure. We had such a magnificent view from our own private courtyard. The mountains, white picket fences, their resque horse, and cottages were so peaceful to admire! Our breakfasts were delicious and served with such care and attention.
We will definitely be back - hopefully on every anniversary from now on!
Thanks so much Mary and Roger! I am posting a few of our pictures for you to see and others to admire! Smiles... Steve & Nancy

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StartingOver2009
Greer, South Carolina
Reviewed June 22, 2009

My friend and I left the Grove Park Inn and begin our journey to Atlanta. We spent Thursday night with Mary & Roger at The Red Horse Inn in Landrum. The inn and its surrounding cottages offer a romantic escape from noise and distraction. We stayed in the Dove Cote room and it was fantastic. We were impressed with the personalization of our greeting, the wonderful linens and our fluffy bath robes. The breakfast stored in our room fridge was perfect in the morning.

We both commented on the peacefulness. The mountain views are gorgeour and the accomondations were flawless.

I highly suggested that you visit the inn if you are traveling in the area. Mary offers discounted tickets to the Biltmore and other local attractions.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
boston, ma
Reviewed June 1, 2009

My fiance and I stayed here one night while looking at properties in the area. What a gorgeous place. Mary, one of the owners, is a treasure. She welcomed us warmly, answered our thousands of questions about the area, booked a dinner reservation for us at the Tea House at Lake Lanier (fabulous, by the way) and helped make our stay perfect.

The inn room we stayed in, Dovecote, was just beautiful. Everything was thought of and we had all of the amenities we needed. The balcony was wonderful and the view just lovely. The bed was comfortable and the rooms seemed very well insulated-we heard no noise beyond our own (and we did have people staying in the next room).

The room had a quaint, homey feeling while still giving all the luxuries needed. We had comfortable wing chairs, window seats, a spotless roomy bathroom, plenty of closet space, refrigerator, coffee maker, fireplace, etc. We liked staying in an inn room and found it very private. I understand the cottages are great and if we were to stay longer and need more space, that would be another option. I was worried that some rooms would have better views than others but after looking over the property I know that every room has gorgeous views-you can't go wrong.

You do need to walk up a flight of steps to get to the Dovecote room but if someone had mobility limitations there was a large room on the first level they could stay in. The inn is in "the country" versus downtown Landrum but that was exactly what we wanted -you just cannot get that view or feeling of serenity and beauty otherwise. Landrum was so close and easy to get to that I thought this was the perfect choice.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Hilton Head Island, SC
Reviewed May 6, 2009

When we discovered the Red Horse Inn through Google, we thought, what a lovely venue this would be for our wedding. It was only when we arrived that we were truely overwhelmed by the beauty, accommodation and kindness from Mary and Roger, the owners. Not only was our cottage divine, but having our meals prepared and delivered to our cottage again just made our stay stress free and relaxing. We strongly recommend taking a cottage with a hot tub, just lying there under the stars and scenery is a memory worth making. Being a bride, Mary was able to make suggestions for a hair salon and florist etc which again made it all layed back. We have stayed at many hotels that are just too commercial and make you feel like a customer, but the Red Horse Inn made us feel like family. I urge anyone wanting a relaxing break, honeymoon or wedding to not pass this place by. We will definitely be returning

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Columbia, SC
Reviewed May 1, 2009

We loved every bit of our time there! Like I said they paid attention to every detail- from the materials they used to build and decorate the place down to just everything they thought of you could possibly need! The whole time just about it was raining (2 nights), but I didn't mind one bit. The rain on the tin roof really helped us sleep, which we needed. And not having to get up at any time for breakfast was wonderful. Instead, you get to eat in your room, in bed or at the table w/comfy chairs, or balcony (which we didn't experience since it rained). But it was sooooo nice of a treat- breakfast in bed, and neither of us had to get up early to make the breakfast. Instead, you just heat it up and enjoy! Food was good- Roger even went out of his way to get me some herbal tea, which I told him i enjoyed, instead of coffee or Lipton. We appreciated the whole thing, but especially the peace and tranquility of the location and the beautiful surroundings. You just can't outdo the beauty God made, and they picked a great spot to build their little B&B (they did it all). Not only that, but they designed the place to bring the beauty of the surroundings in. The only thing I might say is just to let you know that there is a charge for a bottle of champagne they provide, and the room is equipped with a pamphlet of information- that was in there. I just know that not everyone reads those. They even provide you with tea light candles and a sound machine. The bathroom and tub is so luxurious! We truly were pampered and will definitely return, as well as recommend to all our friends. As it was an off time we visited, they also gave us a great rate. Hope this was helpful to you! Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
South Carolina
Reviewed April 17, 2009

I stayed at the Red Horse Inn and it was wonderful! The rooms and cottages are just beautifully decorated and the scenery was fabulous. The most wonderful thing was sitting on the porch watching the sun go down. It was just a glorious experience. The food and refreshments in the cottage was just delicious. The peaceful serenity of the Inn is just amazing. I came to relax and I got to do just that. Also, the Innkeepers (Mary and Roger) were just fabulous, adhering to every need. They were so cordial and gracious. Overall, I had a wonderful experience and hope to visit many more times in the future.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Landrum
Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville
Glassy View Bed and Breakfast
1906 Pine Crest Inn
1906 Pine Crest Inn
#1 of 2 in Tryon

Been to The Red Horse Inn? Share your experiences!