The Red Horse Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$87
$129
Travelocity
Mountain Lodge(Flat Rock)(Great Value!)
$110
Travelocity
Mountain Inn & Suites(Flat Rock)(Great Value!)
$99
Hotels.com
Quality Inn & Suites(Flat Rock)(Great Value!)
$92
Official Hotel
$75
Hotels.com
$75
All reviewsb bthe cottagesthe blue ridge mountainsromantic getawayour honeymoonred horsehot tubamazing weekendantique shopsegg casserolegas fireplaceget away from it allprivate balconypeace and quiettake your breath awaybeautiful propertywalking trails
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My husband and I were recommended to stay here while on business in South Carolina. We stayed in the Inn itself (not a cottage) and found the room to be immaculate and extremely spacious. It was very quiet and soundproof. The view from our room was spectacular. We were extremely disappointed to find out that our breakfast was prepared for us the day before and put into a small refridgerator for us to microwave. We felt that for the price we paid to stay here, we could have at least woke up to a lovely breakfast served to us. Nuked food is SO unprofessional and was, quite frankly, pretty gross. The innkeepers seemed pretty intent on making sure they received all of their money up front, before they completed their end of the deal, which in our minds, included the service of the inn.

Room Tip: Rooms in the inn have to share A/C, we did not have anyone else on our floor, but it would have been a problem if A/C was needed as there would not have been control of the temperature.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Dianne P
TheRedHorseInn, Owner at The Red Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dianne P,

It was a pleasure to meet you both over this past week. We are so pleased you found the room spacious, quiet and immaculate. I hope you enjoyed your motorcycle rides in this lovely countryside.

We are disappointed you did not like the way we do breakfast. We have tried to be very upfront on our website about our breakfast presentation so there are no surprises. Admittedly, it is a bit different and developed based on some early regulations and more recently our guests’ preferences.

When we first built The Red Horse Inn, we built the cottages first. There was no building where the Inn stands and we lived in a house around the corner. The Department of Health told us we could not prepare the food because we did not have an approved kitchen. So, we gave our guests whole eggs, whole fruit, small containers of OJ and muffins baked in a commercial bakery.

As we were building the Inn, our cottage goers came up to check out and asked us what we were building now. We said “The Dining Room”. Our guests all responded by saying they loved the way we were doing breakfast and appreciated not having to get up in the morning to have breakfast with a group of strangers. They preferred going at a slow pace and not having to be on a schedule. We understood and continued to provide our cottage guests breakfast in their cottage. We assumed that our Inn guests would like to have breakfast together in the dining room. I put out a lovely breakfast buffet each morning, but to our surprise, the women sent their significant other to the dining room to bring breakfast back up to the room. I learned that the women didn’t want to get out their cozy bathrobe, put on my makeup or talk to strangers. When the guests continued to do this, we realized we needed to provide a different way for them to have breakfast in their rooms. We created the “kitchen in the closet” to provide the slower, go at your own pace breakfast.

Our guests have commented that they love this feature and travel writers have written positive stories for publications about our unique way of providing breakfast. I think our niche market prefers this type of breakfast setup. While it works for some, it obviously doesn’t for others. We are sorry that you didn’t enjoy it and hope it didn’t ruin your visit.

Kind regards,
Mary, Roger and Christian Wolters

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We spent the weekend of March 21-23 for my husband's birthday at the Red Horse Inn and it couldn't have been more perfect. We loved everything about it and loved the Inn owners. They made the weekend very special for us......the scenery is outstanding and very relaxing, loved watching My Little Secret, and can't wait to go back. All the special touches and attention to details made us feel very special.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

My husband and I spent three nights in the Carriage Bay cottage at the Red Horse Inn. The cottage was lovely, the surrounding countryside gorgeous, and we would go back in a heartbeat! There were all kinds of little things we kept discovering in the cottage--fresh flowers in a vase waiting for us, lovely breakfasts for us to thaw and warm up each morning, a gift of two Red Horse Inn mugs in a gift bag when we arrived. There were two cozy chairs in front of a fireplace that was our favorite place to be. And we loved the beautiful hand-painted murals on the walls of our cottage, painted by Mary, the innkeeper! We had a view of the mountains and rolling hills all around us. It rained for two days while we were there, but the cottage kept us cozy and warm and we hated to leave!

Room Tip: We didn't stay at the inn, but if you want privacy or have more than two people in your group, the cabins are wonderful.
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I stopped for one night at the Red Horse Inn on our way to Asheville from Atlanta after reading an article about in our local newspaper, and we thoroughly enjoyed it!! Everything about the Inn - from the beautiful grounds, friendly visits with My Little Secret, the gorgeous room, and all the cozy and comfortable amenities, as well as Mary's gracious hospitality made our stay relaxing, peaceful and memorable!! We didn't want to leave and were just sorry we didn't have time to enjoy some hiking on the lovely property. Our dinner at Stone Soup in Landrum was fabulous too! We did take time to visit Victoria Valley Vineyard and drive up to Ceasar's Head Park for a breathtaking view. Both are an easy drive from the Inn. All in all - our stay was fabulous - just too short!!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a lovely, long weekend at The Red Horse Inn! Both in our late 20s, we were looking for somewhere different and fun to get away and relax. After reading an article about this gem in "Nashville Lifestyles," we impulsively booked a three night stay. I am so glad that we did. We stayed in the Hayloft - a cottage about three football fields away from the Main Inn. Upon our arrival, I ordered the homemade pizza to be delivered to our room. Other than this piping hot delivery, as well as an evening wine order later in the week, this was our only interaction with Mary and Roger, the Inn-keepers. Their absence is not a complaint, but rather, is what makes this trip and destination so unique. Mary and Roger make themselves completely available to their guests, and also completely invisible. My husband and I spent our three days in the hot tub, exploring nearby Landrum, or going on hikes on the numerous trails throughout the property. It was as though we had the run of the large farm. It was wonderful - relaxing, secluded, but with fabulous amenities. The bed was soft and comfy, the satellite TV welcome during March Madness, and the hot tub perfect and built into a large deck overlooking the property. We spent the entire get-away basking in the seclusion and comfort.

I would highly recommend the Red Horse Inn. For those with little time to spare, the Inn was a welcome getaway from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. For those with more time, there are numerous parks, waterfalls, and small towns worthy of exploration. Although my husband and I had every intention of getting off the property and exploring South Carolina, we were pleasantly surprised by our desire to remain almost entirely at the Inn - cooking in our cottage, reading by the fire, watching movies, and sipping coffee or wine (given the time of day) on the porch. Perfection.

1  Thank Jennifer L