“South Carolina's Best Kept Secret”
Review of The Red Horse Inn

The Red Horse Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Landrum B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We spent the weekend of March 21-23 for my husband's birthday at the Red Horse Inn and it couldn't have been more perfect. We loved everything about it and loved the Inn owners. They made the weekend very special for us......the scenery is outstanding and very relaxing, loved watching My Little Secret, and can't wait to go back. All the special touches and attention to details made us feel very special.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

My husband and I spent three nights in the Carriage Bay cottage at the Red Horse Inn. The cottage was lovely, the surrounding countryside gorgeous, and we would go back in a heartbeat! There were all kinds of little things we kept discovering in the cottage--fresh flowers in a vase waiting for us, lovely breakfasts for us to thaw and warm up each morning, a gift of two Red Horse Inn mugs in a gift bag when we arrived. There were two cozy chairs in front of a fireplace that was our favorite place to be. And we loved the beautiful hand-painted murals on the walls of our cottage, painted by Mary, the innkeeper! We had a view of the mountains and rolling hills all around us. It rained for two days while we were there, but the cottage kept us cozy and warm and we hated to leave!

Room Tip: We didn't stay at the inn, but if you want privacy or have more than two people in your group, t...
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I stopped for one night at the Red Horse Inn on our way to Asheville from Atlanta after reading an article about in our local newspaper, and we thoroughly enjoyed it!! Everything about the Inn - from the beautiful grounds, friendly visits with My Little Secret, the gorgeous room, and all the cozy and comfortable amenities, as well as Mary's gracious hospitality made our stay relaxing, peaceful and memorable!! We didn't want to leave and were just sorry we didn't have time to enjoy some hiking on the lovely property. Our dinner at Stone Soup in Landrum was fabulous too! We did take time to visit Victoria Valley Vineyard and drive up to Ceasar's Head Park for a breathtaking view. Both are an easy drive from the Inn. All in all - our stay was fabulous - just too short!!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a lovely, long weekend at The Red Horse Inn! Both in our late 20s, we were looking for somewhere different and fun to get away and relax. After reading an article about this gem in "Nashville Lifestyles," we impulsively booked a three night stay. I am so glad that we did. We stayed in the Hayloft - a cottage about three football fields away from the Main Inn. Upon our arrival, I ordered the homemade pizza to be delivered to our room. Other than this piping hot delivery, as well as an evening wine order later in the week, this was our only interaction with Mary and Roger, the Inn-keepers. Their absence is not a complaint, but rather, is what makes this trip and destination so unique. Mary and Roger make themselves completely available to their guests, and also completely invisible. My husband and I spent our three days in the hot tub, exploring nearby Landrum, or going on hikes on the numerous trails throughout the property. It was as though we had the run of the large farm. It was wonderful - relaxing, secluded, but with fabulous amenities. The bed was soft and comfy, the satellite TV welcome during March Madness, and the hot tub perfect and built into a large deck overlooking the property. We spent the entire get-away basking in the seclusion and comfort.

I would highly recommend the Red Horse Inn. For those with little time to spare, the Inn was a welcome getaway from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. For those with more time, there are numerous parks, waterfalls, and small towns worthy of exploration. Although my husband and I had every intention of getting off the property and exploring South Carolina, we were pleasantly surprised by our desire to remain almost entirely at the Inn - cooking in our cottage, reading by the fire, watching movies, and sipping coffee or wine (given the time of day) on the porch. Perfection.

1  Thank Jennifer L
Reviewed March 20, 2014

In the midst of wedding planning and stressing over guest lists, menus, and ridiculous details, my fiancé and I decided quite abruptly to cancel our May wedding and elope just the two of us. We did some research and decided on the Red Horse Inn for our elopement destination… and it was absolutely perfect. With less than two week’s notice, we contacted Christian at the Inn and he was more than helpful. He recommended the Grainary Cottage for our three night stay and Mary contacted me prior to help me locate an officiant, hair stylist, and assure me that everything would be taken care of even though it was last minute. When we arrived on Friday evening, we were greeted by Mary and reviewed the details of the next day, information about the property, nearby restaurants, everything we needed to know. She knew we were looking for a quiet, no-stress event and that’s exactly what she delivered. When we arrived at the Grainary Cottage, chilled champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, rose petals, and personalized touches were waiting for us. We were able to quickly unpack and head into town for a nice dinner at one of the local restaurants she recommended. Saturday was perfect. We awoke to the delicious breakfast she had prepared and started early with mimosas to begin our wedding day. The ceremony went perfectly and just as planned. Quiet, intimate, laid-back and just easy… exactly what we wanted. Afterwards as we were driving back to our cottage, Secret was “waiting” for us by the fence, so we had to stop and give her some petting and took a couple of pictures with her too! We enjoyed the afternoon perusing antique shops in downtown Landrum and arrived back at the cottage just in time for an amazing dinner delivered and set up in our room. Trust me, you can’t go wrong with the filet. Mary even had our photographs delivered with our dinner, keeping all distractions at the absolute minimum. We had no doubt if we needed anything, she was only a phone call away, but really appreciated the privacy she gave us. We took a hike the next day to a beautiful location with two chairs where we sat, relaxed and enjoyed the gorgeous view. All-in-all, just an incredible weekend we will never forget… and now that we’ve found this little slice of heaven, I’m sure there will be many weekend trips in our future.

Steve Hammett and Briana Morgan

1  Thank BrianaMorgan
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed for two nights and enjoyed it very much. The Inn has a charming location; the room was very nice and lots of space. After a long hike we enjoyed to have a pizza at our room in the evening. The hosts were very helpful and polite.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

What else can we say? We were looking for a place, not too far from where we live, where we could go for a relaxing anniversary weekend. Quite some time ago, we had seen The Red Horse Inn featured in a few magazines and read the description of the inn and cottages. This, along with the pictures really got us curious and thinking about a possible stay in the future. I actually work near the inn and decided to go check it out in person. Trust me. The inn, property, and incredible views were overwhelming in person. The pictures are only a slight representation of reality. Fast forward to a few weeks before our anniversary weekend. We were looking for that special place to go and my wife and I arrived at the same decision without actually discussing it in advance...The Red Horse Inn. She sent me an email saying the Gable Room was available for the weekend and I said let's do it because I was thinking the same thing. Needless to say we did not regret our decision. The room and views were outstanding. Such a peaceful place to relax and enjoy one another's company. Mary and Roger have thought of everything to meet their guests needs and help couples make special memories. When we arrived, we didn't want to leave. We asked Mary about a quick place to eat so we could hurry back and enjoy our surroundings. She suggested a pizza, cookies and drinks that they prepare and bring and set up in your room. Perfect! We didn't have to go anywhere. This is just one example of how they have this thing figured out and provide you with all the personal touches to make your stay one you won't forget. We've stayed in several nice places. But, it did not take long for both of us to agree that The Red Horse Inn was one of the top places we've ever visited and would certainly do again! Thanks Mary and Roger...outstanding!!!

Kevin & Kathy

Room Tip: The cottages provide the ultimate in privacy. But the Gable Room in the main inn is private and the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Landrum
Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville
Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville - Downtown - Riverplace
The Westin Poinsett, Greenville
Hampton Inn & Suites Spartanburg-I-26-Westgate Mall
Glassy View Bed and Breakfast
1906 Pine Crest Inn
1906 Pine Crest Inn
#1 of 2 in Tryon

Been to The Red Horse Inn? Share your experiences!