“Red Horse is very nice, but.....”
Review of The Red Horse Inn

The Red Horse Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Landrum B&B and Inns
“Red Horse is very nice, but.....”
Reviewed September 8, 2008

I stayed at the Red Horse Inn and I can understand the enthusiasm from the other posters here, but I have an issue with this property that I think should be pointed out.

Having stayed at many inns and B&Bs I've come to expect a certain level of service and accommodation that should be included in what I am paying to stay at any property, but I feel like the owners of the Red Horse Inn are of a different mindset.

It is as if the owners attended a seminar on how to upsell their customers to drive additional revenues.

For example, when planning a weekend at a B&B I like to have the option and opportunity to show up a bit early or lounge around and leave a bit late depending on my schedule and what my inclination might be. The Red Horse Inn charges $50 to arrive 2 hours early or to leave 2 hours late and arrangements must be made in advance.

When I was greeted the owner said that she had compiled travel guides that provided information and directions to different sites in the area. The guides were available for purchase for $20 (although they included money-saving discount coupons).

There are vineyards in the area and I bought some wine but I was careful not to enjoy the wine while staying at the Inn because I had read that I would be charged a $15 "corkage fee" for enjoying wine that I brought myself rather than purchasing a bottle from the Inn's selection.

This Inn is in a beautiful location and it is a beautiful property, but the nickle and dime approach taken by the owners is unseemly and for that reason I would not stay here again.

• Liked — scenery
  • Disliked — upsell
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
4 Thank M_from_Atlanta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Maryland
Reviewed August 31, 2008

We stayed two nights in the summer and really liked the Red Horse Inn a lot. The room was great. The breakfast was pretty good, but not fancy. The owners were helpful the one or two times we asked for assistance. Overall observations:

PROS: 1. Beautiful building and setting. 2. East Room was very big and comfortable, with sitting area and eating area in addition to a great bed. 3. Internet. 4. Friendly horse. 5. Nice courtyard. 6. Small fish pond. 7. Owners and/or their son were always there to answer questions and provide to your needs. 8. The East Room also had a private patio with a really nice view.

CONS: 1. Antenna TV only got 1 channel. 2. Read the small print. Lots of rules. 3. Breakfast was pretty good, but except for the small egg dish, appeared to be store bought and nothing fancy (one morning the fresh fruit was a whole peach). 4. Patio furniture was fairly flimsy. 5. East Room patio had lots of weeds growing between the flagstone. Weeds in the main patio had been sprayed, but in this patio they had not. 6. It had been an extremely dry summer, so some of the planting areas were a little tired looking.

While we would have rated the overall experience at 4.5 stars, the location and room quality made it easy to round up to a 5.

• Liked — The Setting And The Room Size
  • Disliked — Bad TV Reception
Delaware
Reviewed July 31, 2008

The Red Horse Inn is truly a special place in which to escape the harsh realities of the real world. The beauty of the surrounding scenery is enough to take your breath away and awaken romance in anyone! The innkeepers are kind and thoughtful people, which adds to the ambiance of this wonderfully enchanting and magical place. I can't wait to visit again!

• Liked — Peace and quiet, amazing scenery, privacy
  • Disliked — Loved everything!
Bishopville
Reviewed July 8, 2008

My husband and I experienced a wonderful time at the Inn. Our anniversary was June 20 and we had reached a milestone in our marriage and wanted something special. Well, they delivered. We had such a tender time at the Inn. We will never forget it. We like privacy and a chance to reflect on what life brings. We so thoroughly enjoyed it. The room was immaculant. Everything had its place. We will return in the future. We tell our married friends if they really want to celebrate.......................and just getaway...........then this is the place!

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Sumter, SC
Reviewed July 6, 2008

My husband's birthday is the 4th of July and he wanted to get away for the long weekend, so I surfed the web in search of somewhere to go at the last minute last Tuesday and stumbled upon The Red Horse Inn. What a great find! My husband works too much and doesn't get a chance to relax often, but this weekend he did! The breathtaking views and quiet serenity that The Red Horse Inn offers are unmatched! We have travelled quite a bit and were most impressed with the attention to detail, excellent food and amazingly flawless service to our room each day! The hospitality shown by the Wolters is phenomenal! They are not only accomodating, but kind and respectful. This weekend was much more than just a celebration of my husbands birthday, it became a wonderfully romantic weekend that we both needed to get closer to each other and God. We really got to rediscover our love for one another and can't wait to come back sometime soon!

Amanda & Al Adams
Sumter, SC

• Liked — Immaculate environment and attention to detail
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed June 10, 2008

About four months ago a friend took me to The Red Horse Inn for my birthday. I had such a magnificent time then that I decided to do the same thing for another friend of mine when her birthday came around, and the owners/innkeepers welcomed me back as warmly as though I were an old friend. I had reserved a different room this time, never dreaming it would be even more enjoyable than the first; however, it was. The decor was lovely; the room was large and comfortable; and we had our own patio and outside entrance. I brought food for our supper so that we could stay in the cool, comfortable room out of the heat once we checked in and simply luxuriate by watching DVDs, reading, or relaxing in the Whirlpool tub. However, though the Inn is nestled out in the country, there is much to do in the surrounding area, and there are some restaurants serving delicious food. (We visited some gardens and covered bridges, and we ate lunch at an English pub.) During the evening, innkeeper Mary Wolters visited us and brought some homemade cookies fresh from the oven along with some cold milk to enjoy. The next morning our breakfast in our room consisted of fresh fruit, grits, oatmeal, huge muffins, and delicious egg casserole with juice and coffee/tea. Inkeepers Roger and Mary saw us off when we left, but it was as though we were saying good-bye to family. I can recommend The Red Horse Inn to anyone without hesitation.

• Liked — Quiet, relaxing, wonderful view, clean
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sandra011
Boiling Springs, South Carolina
Reviewed June 3, 2008

It was my (then) fiance that was perusing the internet for potential honeymoon locations. She looked under bed and breakfast type locations, and the first hit she got was The Red Horse Inn. She called me into the room and said "Roger look at this beautiful Inn with cottages located just 30 miles from where we live." The inn and cottages (each cottage is unique and has a different theme) are situated on almost 200 acres in horse country, in the foothills of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.

We didn't look any further, we called the number on the web site.
I got in touch with Mary, who along with her husband Roger and son Christian own and operate The Red Horse Inn. As I talked to Mary she came up with the idea of us getting married right there at the Inn. From the photos I'd seen on the web site I was really quite intrigued, so much so that we took a ride up to The Red Horse Inn and we knew then and there that this was the place where we wanted to have our wedding and spend our honeymoon. Surrounded by the splendor of nature and the beauty of the nearby mountains this peaceful and serene setting can inspire artists, spur romance, or just allow one to relax and enjoy a glass of wine in the solitude and privacy made available by the owners and their staff. Mary even went so far as to offer to take pictures of our wedding using our own camera.
We took her up on her offer and were not in the least disappointed. We stayed at The Spring House cottage and didn't want to leave when our stay was up. Everyone really respects your privacy and makes you feel like family. Needless to say at this point that my fiance is now my wife, and we made some wonderful memories for a lifetime at the beautiful Red Horse Inn. We took day trips to quaint little shops, and places to eat in the lovely area and towns surrounding The Red horse Inn property. I am not a professional reviewer, but I know what I like. My new wife Karen and I really enjoyed our stay. What a beautiful start to a new life for a newly married couple!

Thank you Roger, Mary, Christian and your wonderful staff for making it all happen.

• Liked — Location, Owners and staff
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Landrum
Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville
1906 Pine Crest Inn
1906 Pine Crest Inn
#1 of 2 in Tryon
Saluda Mountain Lodge

Been to The Red Horse Inn? Share your experiences!