“Small-town dining at its best”
Review of Table 118 - CLOSED

Table 118
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I must first say I was plesantly surprised. I had heard both good and not so good reviews but I personally had my first experience a few days ago. The wait staff met us as we were walking in with a very plesant disposition and promptly seated us. It was only seconds before the head waiter, James, came over and greeted us and went over the menu with us. He was very knowledgeable about the entire menu and the dishes that were being served that day. He also was very prompt in returning our wine orders to us. He also suggested that us ladies try a nice hibiscus flower in our champagne. He was very attentive to our wishes. The wine list was also very plesantly surprising. It was nice to know that their was such nice options in this little town. Our dinner was very tasteful and nicely presented. One of the chefs personally came over to our table and he was so very accomodating. We had called the night before our visit to make reservations. We were not aware that the restaurant was not opened late on Wednesday nights but the staff stayed just for our visit. Only in small town America! We were very pleased with our visit and will definitely be back. I can't speak as to the taste of any food other than that of what our party had but everything we had was delicious and neither can I speak as to the service except for the time we were there but it was excellent. If I had any negative comment to make it would only be that the background music was a little loud but that is a personal preference which has no bearing on our overall experience.

1  Thank VICSCHICK

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Table 118 is a welcome change of pace in an area where barbecue, fried chicken, fast food and Mexican food are the rule. As business people in this region, we desperately need a nicer place to take clients to lunch and to have lunch. We are excited to have Table 118 up and running!

Generally, our experiences at Table 118 have been pretty good, just a little lengthier than they probably should have been, even with only a few patrons and what seems like a sizeable staff. The menu has some really nice choices. My husband is a big fan of the etouffe, but it is not too consistent. Sometimes it's really, really salty. Be forewarned that the sweet tea is VERY sweet. Even if you get half & half, it is still extremely sweet. All in all, we are still in the deep south here.

We will be back and we look forward to trying new menu items.

1  Thank KelekeWahine
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I finally tried this place out yesterday. I'd heard good things for months, had to experience it for myself. I had a salmon entree with a romaine salad underneath. The dressing was way too tangy for my palate, and there was an abundance of parmesan included. The salmon was blackened, but it had burnt sesame seeds adhered to the surface. I'm not sure why the seasoning included sesame seeds, it wasn't apparent on the menu or from info the waiter was able to convey.

My first impression wasn't so hot: the chef was leaning on the front window just inside the door, his phone conversation in full swing. He seated me without ending his phone talk, and then he continued as he walked away. I saw him walk through the dining area where I was seated near the open kitchen, but he seemed to need to stay on his phone, non-stop.

The wait staff are not on their A-game. They need to help each other to get the job done. I really expect wait staff to know the menu inside and out, these didn't. I was quite inquisitive so I'd be well informed of what to expect when my order arrived. No one ever asked if I'd like wine or a coctail. No one asked if I'd like to start with an appetiser, and no one asked if I'd like a dessert. I had to make a serious effort to get an after lunch coffee. The coffee is just that, no expresso or cappuchino (the machine broke and a new one isn't in house yet).

The dish for my lunch was awkward to eat from, there was a wide collar for a small bowl in the center. The salmon was served atop the salad in the small center bowl of the dish. I tried to move the salmon to the collar so it wouldn't be soaked in the sour vinagrette, then the plate almost tipped over several times as I tried to consume my fish. UGH

The menu is very brief but pleasingly varied. I almost ordered the chicken and waffles. Then the waiter conveyed that the waffles are pre-made, not fresh made in house. One lady nearest my table ordered it, I didn't like the looks of it. A warmed over waffle with 3 chicken wing segments is not worth the price, in my estimation. I've had this dish at Gladys Knight's in Atlanta, it's worth the price there.

I learned from staffers that many of them came to this location from the chef's other eatery in Columbia. One has to wonder how long they will be on staff here, and what the Table 118 will be like after they are gone. I asked to have a word with the chef, if he could spare a minute, but he left the building to deliver an order. He never returned while I was there for a leisurly visit. There seemed to be a large number of people on duty, at least two hosts, 4 waiters, and 6 in the kitchen. They far out-numbered the customer count.

The wine specialist is pretty knowledgeable, and the wine list is impressive. There's a multi-page book of wines arranged by color and type. It is a pleasing mix of domestic and imported wines from Europe, South America, Australia, and prices are equally diverse. I saw many bottles for under $40 and some for way upwards of $100. I call that impressive, indeed, for such a small eatery in a quiet small town. However, his attire did not meet the standard of other staffers. They wore either chef duds or shirt with tie, he wore a smallish, short polo, untucked. The impression was off-puttingly casual bordering on sloppy.

Overall, my visit was a mixed bag. I will have to keep this place in mind to see if it improves or fades. If they can persist until the new hotel is completed and guests are nearby, perhaps this will be a boost to its viability.

2  Thank Euro-lust
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Had a great meal. Were with another couple and all four peope had tasty food. The wait staff was attentive even though we were there during a busy time with many people waiting for tables in the bar area. I recommend this resturant.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Lake City is not a very familiar place in SC.
But for those who knows about Lake City, it is a definite must to try the food in Table 118. I don't need to fly out or travel for hours to go to another city to have a French fine dining.
A very nice and neat place. Ambiance is so good. I'm typically from Charleston and now residing in Lake City. I am now a regular customer of Table 118 amd their Seafood Belmar is their speciality I guess. All the food are so rich in flavor. Dessert are awesome too.
Waitress and waiters are so friendly and do suggest some of their very best items too.
I would definitely suggest this restaurant to everyone who wants to pay a visit in Lake City or even staying here amd afraid to try new restaurants. Good job.