“Nice place”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ladson
Chesapeake, VA
“Nice place”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Hotel is in a good location - area is safe, not noisy. Located off an access road so getting out of the hotel during rush hour is tough. Included breakfast was substandard. Room 108 had light shining in window - little sleep. Very clean rooms!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My first visit to Charleston and not the last. Stopped here for 3 nights on my way to sunny Florida. For a BW hotel, I would give it a 4 & 1/2 star. Both my both and I said "wow" when we entered our king size room. We have seen greater rooms in our travels but not in a BW. It was more like a semi-suite. Very clean ... as I was walking to my room, I saw that the cleaning lady was even wiping down the drawers of the dresser and later I heard the vacuum cleaner and by it sounds, it was a heavy duty. I thank the ladies at the front desk: Lizzy, Candace and Diana for their attention and help. I had asked for a top floor, no pets, quiet king size room. Candace suggested I settled for a second floor.... much quieter and the 3rd was mixed smoking/non-smoking. I did not regret her choice. The king size room is about 6 feet deeper than the surrounding rooms allowing for a spacious bed "room" and separated by columns, was a double size sofa, large low table. Very appealing. I liked the rug. Breakfast was standard... cereals, fruits, scramble eggs, sausages and gravy ( never touched the gravy for breakfast: my wife would not permit it) make your own waffles..... Tea/coffee 24/7 and if not hot enough, there is always the microwave in the room. The hotel was hidden from the I-26 and at first difficult to reach due to the heavy traffic but once there, you hardly noticed/heard the traffic. The price was much lower than I expected for the type of BW and although Charleston is about 22 min from the hotel, it is a direct route to the visitor's center on the I-26/US 17. Be sure to visit the William Aiken House, walking distance from the visitor's center. I parked at the center... $10 for the day, less for less time. If you are lucky, you could park along the Barricade street on the Bay but you have to be there fairly early and if you do, you are in the market and old town area.... nice to visit. Also, I did appreciate the carriage tour.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kansas City
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Located near I-26, it just so happens, I-26 east, ends in historic downtown
Charleston. There is a McDonald's and a gas station in walking distance, but
there is no sidewalk, which, if you were careful, you could navigate it. Hotel sits
in a wooded area, seems safe enough.
The rooms were clean, and well cared for, seems to be a fairly new hotel. The
hotel is located in a small southern forest (some pine needles and palm trees).
The breakfast is your average complimentary hot and cold buffet breakfast.
The staff wasn't very attentive to what was running out, and needed to be
refilled, could have been a shift change, check with the front desk. You
definitely want to start out on a full stomach, there's plenty to do in Charleston,
especially coffee. I had waffles from the waffle iron, always delicious, honey
bun, sausage patties and scrambled eggs. You have your pick of cold cereal,
pastries, and fruit. It was all prepared well and the area was clean, very
acceptable for you or your family to sit down for a nice breakfast.

Our room was clean and comfortable. The first thing I noticed when walking in
was the big LCD TV, maybe about a 46", great picture. We were right next
door to the pool. Which was just fine, no wetness or mildew in the room from
the pool. However, it was a handicap accessible, room, which meant the
bathroom was made to suit a wheelchair-bound person. The hotel didn't appear
to be full, maybe it was the last non-smoking room, not sure why we got that
room. It wasn't a show-stopper for us. The bathroom had a locker room feel to
it, the walk-in shower is huge. The main issue is that the whole entire floor can
get wet, there is a drain in the center of the floor. Let's just say the bathroom
has seen alot of use. It would probably be best to avoid room 107 if you have
kids, and if you are not in need of those accomodations. But if that doesn't
bother you, you will be next to a nice pool. I would suggest this hotel to the
budget minded traveler, who doesn't mind if they are not in the thick-of-things,
but can reach the attractions easily.
The area seems safe for a family, there was always law enforcement taking a break at the nearby gas station/convenience store.
To get there from the airport take, I-26 west from the airport to Exit 203,
College Park road, about 12 miles, take a right, and then quick left, you'll see
the Best Western sign. To get to Charleston, from the hotel, take I-26 east, 19
miles to historic downtown. All Charleston attractions can be accessed by I-26

Room Tip: It would probably be best to avoid room 107 if you have kids, and if you are not in need of handic...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cthompson3kcmo
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Was on a short business trip to Charleston (Goose Creek area) and wound up staying here for a week. Really nice rooms. Breakfast was as good as you would get for complementary breakfast.
Front Desk went out of their way to take care of my small request and knew my name on day 3.

I will stay here for all my future trips.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RockyRoad_TN
Reynoldsburg, Ohio, United States
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed there on 9/9/2012 on the way to Charleston SC to go on a cruise.
Hotel staff was excellent. Beds were quiet and rooms were clean. Hot breakfast included scrambled eggs, gravy and biscuits plus the usual items. Coffee 24/7. Restaurants near by, McDonalds and waffle house just accross the street. Took elevator to our floor, used a luggage carrier supplied by hotel. Great place will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gary H
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Great value, great front desk staff. We extended our stay by two days we enjoyed it so much. Appreciated the convenience of fridge, microwave, and computer with printer. Covered pool was nice as was the expanded continental breakfast. It may not be the closest to the heart of Charleston activities but it is well worth the drive given its value.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank L L
High Point, NC
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This place is beyond disgusting.

My wife and I wanted to go to Charleston, SC for a weekend getaway during the weekend of Memorial Day, and this was one of those mystery hotels that was booked through Hotwire. At the time, we felt Best Western was a great brand and was actually looking forward to our stay.

We get there, and all was fine until we checked into the room. My wife mentioned that it smelled like old people. I didn't smell it. After about 10 minutes, with only socks on my feet, I went to the Ice Machine so we can enjoy a soda that we have brought with us. When I walked back into the room, when walking by the mini-refrigerator, my sock became wet. Come to find out, they soaked the inside of the refrigerator to clean it, and ran into the floor. We are not talking about a wet spot, we are talking soaked. My wife tried to use the phone in the room, but the button for the front desk didn't work. She walked back to the front desk and was advised that someone from housekeeping would come down there. My thought, what is Housekeeping going to do, confirm that it is there?

About 20 minutes pass and here comes Housekeeping to confirm that it is there, and that they can get someone from Maintance to come by to vacuum it up, which would still leave it wet. The person from the front desk stated that they were sold out so we cannot change rooms. After this happened, we found some other issues, such as the curtians looked as if they were clawed by a cat, the table by the TV was sticky with some sort of film, and finally blood stains on the bed skirt. My wife contacted Hotwire to see if anything could be done. They set us up with a refund, an additional $25 credit, and even tried to get us booked into another hotel. While on the phone with Hotwire, Housekeeping returned to give us towels. Not even we noticed that there was no towels in the bathroom.

When the staff at the hotel caught wind that we were being given a refund, we were told that we had one hour to get out or be charged. Here we were looking for a hotel with most places being sold out for the holiday. Ultimately, we found a Hampton Inn that was four miles further away from Charleston on top of what we already were that was $25 more per night. We went there.

We have complained to Best Western's corporate offices, and they are investigating our situation. They may have their branding removed because this isn't the first complaint. DO NOT STAY HERE FOR ANY REASON!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cwhitley78
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ladson
Wyndham Garden Summerville
Econo Lodge
#1 of 3 in Goose Creek
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Summerville
Wingate by Wyndham Charleston University Boulevard
Wingate by Wyndham Charleston Un...
#12 of 58 in North Charleston
Courtyard Charleston Summerville

Been to Best Western Magnolia Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!