“This Hotel Will Do Just Fine” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Magnolia Inn and Suites

BEST WESTERN Magnolia Inn and Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ladson
Kansas City
“This Hotel Will Do Just Fine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Located near I-26, it just so happens, I-26 east, ends in historic downtown
Charleston. There is a McDonald's and a gas station in walking distance, but
there is no sidewalk, which, if you were careful, you could navigate it. Hotel sits
in a wooded area, seems safe enough.
The rooms were clean, and well cared for, seems to be a fairly new hotel. The
hotel is located in a small southern forest (some pine needles and palm trees).
The breakfast is your average complimentary hot and cold buffet breakfast.
The staff wasn't very attentive to what was running out, and needed to be
refilled, could have been a shift change, check with the front desk. You
definitely want to start out on a full stomach, there's plenty to do in Charleston,
especially coffee. I had waffles from the waffle iron, always delicious, honey
bun, sausage patties and scrambled eggs. You have your pick of cold cereal,
pastries, and fruit. It was all prepared well and the area was clean, very
acceptable for you or your family to sit down for a nice breakfast.

Our room was clean and comfortable. The first thing I noticed when walking in
was the big LCD TV, maybe about a 46", great picture. We were right next
door to the pool. Which was just fine, no wetness or mildew in the room from
the pool. However, it was a handicap accessible, room, which meant the
bathroom was made to suit a wheelchair-bound person. The hotel didn't appear
to be full, maybe it was the last non-smoking room, not sure why we got that
room. It wasn't a show-stopper for us. The bathroom had a locker room feel to
it, the walk-in shower is huge. The main issue is that the whole entire floor can
get wet, there is a drain in the center of the floor. Let's just say the bathroom
has seen alot of use. It would probably be best to avoid room 107 if you have
kids, and if you are not in need of those accomodations. But if that doesn't
bother you, you will be next to a nice pool. I would suggest this hotel to the
budget minded traveler, who doesn't mind if they are not in the thick-of-things,
but can reach the attractions easily.
The area seems safe for a family, there was always law enforcement taking a break at the nearby gas station/convenience store.
To get there from the airport take, I-26 west from the airport to Exit 203,
College Park road, about 12 miles, take a right, and then quick left, you'll see
the Best Western sign. To get to Charleston, from the hotel, take I-26 east, 19
miles to historic downtown. All Charleston attractions can be accessed by I-26

Room Tip: It would probably be best to avoid room 107 if you have kids, and if you are not in need of handic...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cthompson3kcmo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Was on a short business trip to Charleston (Goose Creek area) and wound up staying here for a week. Really nice rooms. Breakfast was as good as you would get for complementary breakfast.
Front Desk went out of their way to take care of my small request and knew my name on day 3.

I will stay here for all my future trips.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RockyRoad_TN
Reynoldsburg, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed there on 9/9/2012 on the way to Charleston SC to go on a cruise.
Hotel staff was excellent. Beds were quiet and rooms were clean. Hot breakfast included scrambled eggs, gravy and biscuits plus the usual items. Coffee 24/7. Restaurants near by, McDonalds and waffle house just accross the street. Took elevator to our floor, used a luggage carrier supplied by hotel. Great place will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gary H
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Great value, great front desk staff. We extended our stay by two days we enjoyed it so much. Appreciated the convenience of fridge, microwave, and computer with printer. Covered pool was nice as was the expanded continental breakfast. It may not be the closest to the heart of Charleston activities but it is well worth the drive given its value.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank L L
High Point, NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

This place is beyond disgusting.

My wife and I wanted to go to Charleston, SC for a weekend getaway during the weekend of Memorial Day, and this was one of those mystery hotels that was booked through Hotwire. At the time, we felt Best Western was a great brand and was actually looking forward to our stay.

We get there, and all was fine until we checked into the room. My wife mentioned that it smelled like old people. I didn't smell it. After about 10 minutes, with only socks on my feet, I went to the Ice Machine so we can enjoy a soda that we have brought with us. When I walked back into the room, when walking by the mini-refrigerator, my sock became wet. Come to find out, they soaked the inside of the refrigerator to clean it, and ran into the floor. We are not talking about a wet spot, we are talking soaked. My wife tried to use the phone in the room, but the button for the front desk didn't work. She walked back to the front desk and was advised that someone from housekeeping would come down there. My thought, what is Housekeeping going to do, confirm that it is there?

About 20 minutes pass and here comes Housekeeping to confirm that it is there, and that they can get someone from Maintance to come by to vacuum it up, which would still leave it wet. The person from the front desk stated that they were sold out so we cannot change rooms. After this happened, we found some other issues, such as the curtians looked as if they were clawed by a cat, the table by the TV was sticky with some sort of film, and finally blood stains on the bed skirt. My wife contacted Hotwire to see if anything could be done. They set us up with a refund, an additional $25 credit, and even tried to get us booked into another hotel. While on the phone with Hotwire, Housekeeping returned to give us towels. Not even we noticed that there was no towels in the bathroom.

When the staff at the hotel caught wind that we were being given a refund, we were told that we had one hour to get out or be charged. Here we were looking for a hotel with most places being sold out for the holiday. Ultimately, we found a Hampton Inn that was four miles further away from Charleston on top of what we already were that was $25 more per night. We went there.

We have complained to Best Western's corporate offices, and they are investigating our situation. They may have their branding removed because this isn't the first complaint. DO NOT STAY HERE FOR ANY REASON!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cwhitley78
Mebane, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

When I checked into my room, there were a few things that weren't up-to-par, but I thought "I'm only staying one night, no big deal". The sheets and blanket were very worn and the blanket was stained. TV stopped working around 11:30 PM, figured it was a temporary outage and went on to sleep. Next morning when I went to shower, there was long hair all over the shower walls. I cleaned it off with a wet bath towel because I was leaving soon and didn't really have time to deal with the staff. Dirty hand prints on the walls as well. When I tried to turn on the shower, the "button" you lift to divert water from the faucet to the shower-head didn't work. I had to hold down the faucet with one hand (to keep it from breaking off) while I pulled up on the button as hard as I could with my other hand. About half of the water flow finally came through the shower. After my shower, tried the TV again, no cable. Finally, I've had enough. Tried to call the front desk but the phone didn't work. I could hear the front desk attendant but she couldn't hear me. Tried the other phone & pressed button marked "Front Desk" - didn't work either. I went down to the front desk and spoke with the manager who said "I'll have the 'Executive Housekeeper' come to your room". No apology from the manager for the condition of the room. Was expecting a professional type with clipboard since, afterall, she was the "Executive" Housekeeper. A woman showed up in worn blue jeans and oversized T-shirt. She worked on the TV for a few minutes and was able to reconnect the cable, "see, it works" was her comment. I showed her the remainder of the hair in the shower (what I hadn't already cleaned up), the Executive seemed disinterested. I asked her to try the shower. The Executive strained to lift the shower button and after 2-3 attempts was only able to get half the water to come through the shower head, "see, it works". She did acknowledge that one phone wasn't working and pointed out that button labeled "Front Desk" on the other phone was not the button I should have used (no other directions or buttons labeled "front desk" - I guess you have to be psychic to stay here). The Executive leaves the room and there is no follow-up from the manager. At 10:30 AM (check out is 11:00), I'm working at the desk on my laptop. I think I hear something at my door and before I can even stand up to check, a woman comes barging in the door. Very loudly I say "excuse me?". She looks up and runs out the door. I go to my door to see what is going on, and when I step out into the hall there is a housekeeper and (you guessed it) the "Executive". The housekeeper comments "I didn't know there was anyone in there". I said "how about knocking". The Executive says nothing. I've had enough, grab my things and go to the front desk to tell the manager about the intrusion and again complain about the condition of the room. "all I can do is say I'm sorry" was her only comment. Do not stay here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Colon T
Jackson, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

Overall the hotel looked nice. Our room and bath were clean and smelled OK. Bed was comfortable. Did not use the pool but it looked clean and well maintained. Check in (and out) staff were pleasant and even provided a map of the area and recommended several restaurants in the area. Did not appear to be any restaurant within walking distance. Hotel is easy to find right off the expressway. Guests above us were a little noisy when they arrived in the late evening. Breakfast was good with standard fair plus scrambled eggs eggs and sausage. Could use more tables in the eating area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ladson
Wyndham Garden Summerville
Wyndham Garden Summerville
#5 of 9 in Summerville
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 9 in Summerville
Wingate by Wyndham Charleston University Boulevard
Wingate by Wyndham Charleston Un...
#11 of 58 in North Charleston
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,470 reviews
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Summerville
Courtyard Charleston Summerville
BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn
BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn
#26 of 60 in Charleston
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,069 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN Magnolia Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!