“Good stuff.”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Hartsville, South Carolina
“Good stuff.”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stopped by with my six year old son for an early dinner recently and really enjoyed the food at Brown's Barbecue.

We had the dinner buffet (for both of us with drinks and dessert included in the buffet price), it came out to just under $20.

Despite the restaurant being nearly empty, the buffet was well stocked and food hadn't been sitting there that long. Typical fare - mac and cheese, green beans, fried okra, rice, dirty rice, gravy, sauces, chicken (fried and roasted), pork and beef BBQ, and so on. There was also a salad bar, with iceberg/cabbage mix lettuce and lots of canned fruit. Not my idea of a good salad bar, but I wasn't there for salad.

The BBQ was perfectly cooked with a good kick of spices, even without the sauce. My son inhaled two huge pieces of fried chicken (which was an entirely new experience for him), and he raved about the green beans and mac and cheese. He can be picky, but he loved everything about what he ate.

Ice tea was freshly brewed and didn't have the metallic tang of a poorly washed urn. I hate that, and it's way too common at the restaurants in this area (Pee Dee in general, not Kingstree per se).

Dessert was problematic, for me. Banana pudding and carrot cake, two of my all time favorites. You can have all you can eat, but I am forever watching my carb intake...but I still had both. Both were excellent, although the banana pudding probably had been sitting out since lunch (in a refrigerated buffet table), so the wafers were a bit soggy. Very common, as banana pudding isn't meant to sit out like that.

Overall, a very good experience. They have a healthy take out business, which seemed much busier than eat-in. Also, they charge a 5% convenience fee to use a debit or credit card (at least as of 8/2012) so bring cash.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank DigitalGypsy58

Binghamton, New York
“Love the pulled pork!”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is a regular stop for us on our way to Kingstree. We usually bring some home too. When relatives visit, that's what they bring us. We loved the pulled pork!

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank DHG309
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
“I don't know what everybody is talking about.”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I work about three minutes from Brown's in Kingstree. From the inside and outside it looks like a typical SC barbecue joint. I guess the people are friendly enough but the barbecue is a very poor example of the local style and the rest of the food is pretty much flavorless. The fried chicken is pretty good. Lunch buffet costs $13- about $4-5 more than the competition. I won't be back unless one of my customers forces me.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank IceCold40
Jacksonville, Florida
“Good Food!”
Reviewed February 1, 2012

The staff, cleanliness of the facility and tasty food!

Visited December 2011
1 Thank MoonEyes817
Oakland, California
“A South Carolina tradition”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Brown's serves a vinegar-pepper kind of BBQ, and it's meaty and moist with a little sharpness to it. You won't find great amenities at this roadside restaurant, but you will find tasty BBQ.

• Visited August 2011