“by far our preferred course in the US” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ocean Course

The Ocean Course
More attraction details
Owner description: Highly recommended golf course with dramatic views of the Atlantic.
UK
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“by far our preferred course in the US”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Played again last week.

Its a pleasure to go back

attentive pros at the reception

Great caddies
Course in good condition despite frost

always a geat outing

Visited February 2014

Cincinnati, Ohio
“A Round of Golf That Will Change Your Life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Some people may believe that golf is golf no matter the course. Playing the Ocean Course will completely change this opinion. With cart paths made of sand and greens that border the ocean, the experience is unforgettable. The first time I played it, the course was so astonishing that I thought very little of the actual golf. As soon as we got to the first tee, I got the feeling of being on a remote island immersed in untouched wilderness. The ocean is visible from every hole on the course and salt-water lakes intertwine between the holes for an unparalleled sight of nature. Every fairway, every green, and every tee box was in the absolute best shape physically possible. While walking up to the ball, you can smell the ocean and hear the calm crashing of waves in the distance. At one point during my round, we witnessed several alligators sun-bathing on the side of the green. Very few courses in the world offer an experience like that. Even the golf carts are nice with electric engines that give off minimal sound, and allow for maximum enjoyment while golfing. The caddies are highly trained and are great company during the round as well. After finishing the front nine, we stopped by the pro shop and got some of the best burgers I’ve had in my life. In fact, all of the food at the Ocean Course is of exceptional quality, especially for a golf course. When we resumed our round, I witnessed the most beautiful sunset of my life. The sun reflected off the ocean with powerful orange rays radiating in every direction. It was one of the many breathtaking sights from the Ocean Course that will stick with me for the rest of my life. Don’t wait any longer. Plan your trip to the Ocean Course and experience nature and golf in a life-changing way that you will remember for the rest of your life.

Visited July 2013
Auckland
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“What a place (Bring plenty of balls)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

Let me start by saying, if you are an average golfer or prone to feeling sorry for yourself then perhaps one of the other resort courses is for you.

Its hard - very very hard!

I had a caddy named Scott, he was a great guy, we had a fun time battling the course.

What an experience, loved every second.

Visited January 2014
Fairfax Station, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Beauty filled with golfer peril”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Been to the Ocean Course over 10 times. It combines ocean beauty with real challenges for an accomplished golfer. May be too tough an experience for a beginner but caddies are a hoot and knowledgeable

Visited December 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice Course, But Expectations are High for a Premier East Coast Layout”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

I recently played the Ocean Course on a sunny calm day in the late Fall. The course was as difficult as I expected and heard. I was prepared for what I new would be a challenging golf round. At times, I even played well and up to my handicap. So overall, I would encourage everyone to play to the course to experience what I believe is the most demanding golf test I have face in my 300 courses However, the premier East Coast golf course service was not as I would have expected to receive.

Let me first explain the context of my review. The clubhouse, bar, and putting green overlooking the Atlantic Ocean are world class. The drive to the the course is scenic and at times spectacular. I have seen no better clubhouse area setup anywhere. I was very excited when we arrived at the course. Check in was cordial and business like. It seemed to be another day at the office for the clubhouse crew, not matching my dream round service expectations.

The caddies were both knowledgable of the course hazards, distances and were most helpful with reading the greens. Unfortunately, there were a few times early in the round when I was over the ball to hit my drive, both caddies had picked up the clubs are had started to move to the fairway before I had hit. They also spent way too much time walking together and were not as engaging as I believed they should have been. One even smoked while we followed behind trailing the smoke and smell. Also, one caddie took a leak while I was in my pre shot sequence on a tee box, in my line of sight. Some of you may think I am being a bit picky here, maybe so. My expectations were higher here these guys were very good at the routine caddie responsibilities, but had lost perspective of what their customers are seeking in such a special round.

When we finished, the clubhouse staff did not go out of their way to inquire about the round, just another day at the office.

In summary, the golf was great but the service was below my expectations. Comparing this round to another famous US golf location, my experiences were as different as night and day. The service golf mission at the other premier location is for their customers to "live their dreams". At this other location, every employee I encountered went out of their way for me to do just that. Unfortunately, I felt our group at the Ocean Course did not live our dreams, instead we experienced the everyday life of working life at the Course.

It was truly a great golf and the service was good and all of our basic golf needs were served. But, I did leave the course that day feeling somewhat disappointed with my own experience of playing one of the premier courses I have been looking forward to playing for many years.

Visited October 2013