“Walk on the wild side” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ocean Course

The Ocean Course
More attraction details
Owner description: Highly recommended golf course with dramatic views of the Atlantic.
Onalaska, Wisconsin
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Walk on the wild side”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I walked 36 twice while here.
The golf course is excellent.
Greens were rough as they had been punched.

Columbus, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good (not Great) Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

I'm a 15 handicap, and had heard the course was extremely difficult. It was difficult (I shot a 96) but I honestly expected worse! : ) The course is beautiful, but as one reviewer mentioned, no views of the ocean on the front nine, and few on the back nine.

Advice: I played early morning. Play later in the day. I think the sun will provide more picturesque views of the course.

Take some extra golf balls. You will lose a few!

If possible, ask for Jason as your caddie. He's awesome! Whatever caddie you get, make sure to ask what celebrities he has caddied for. Good conversation.

Avoid playing with members if possible. I was paired with 3 club members/residents of the island. One was an architect originally from Ohio. Great guy! We shared the same caddie. The other two were from across the pond and had a vacation home overlooking the Ocean Course. One immediately asked me if I was a resident. I said I was not (just vacationing) Throughout the round, they continued to express their displeasure at having to be paired with a non-member/non-resident, and a "commoner" at that. Their caddie made sure to make remarks about every errant shot I made, and made every effort to make me feel unwelcomed. Many times, my caddie and I were the only ones left on the green. Once they had putted-out, they walked on to the next hole. I expected better.

One reviewer mentioned that the pro shop had an air that they were doing you a favor by letting you in their house. That is an understatement.

Final Advice: Come with friends. Enjoy the round. Take photos. Keep your scorecard. If you get paired with members like I did, stay in your own game, pretend they don't exist,

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Worth Playing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Ocean Course was great to play, especially having seen it on TV. Had the same caddie both days and he was awesome. Don't know that I can recommend the course in the dead of summer. Even with the wind it is hot to the point of being uncomfortable. But the condition was great considering the heat. Pace of play is slow (figure 5 hours+) and the locker room is worse than some small public courses I've seen. No shower towels or combs/brushes, at least when I was there, and the pro shop staff has the air of doing you a favor by allowing you into their house. Still worth going, although the Kohler courses in Wisconsin are better.

New York City, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“A Real Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Expensive, but worth it. The course is set up to the highest standards, and the caddies are a great help. Hard, but lots of fun.

Visited July 2013
Palm Beach, Florida, USA
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“not as great as it's reputation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

The Ocean Course was nice, challenging at times with the wind off the ocean, but not all it's cracked up to be. It was on my husband's "bucket list" so we went to Kiawah just to play it. The food & service at their restaurant was super.

Visited July 2013