“How did this place get such a high rating”

Kiawah Island Tennis
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I played in a tournament at Kiawah Island Resort. The courts were in embarrassingly poor condition. No attendants bothered to sweep the clay courts and prepare them for matches. As we prepared for our first match our opponents called us to their side to view a hole in the court near the baseline. We took an empty tennis ball can and scooped up excess clay from around the net to fill in the hole. That was the first day. On the second day, again the courts were not even swept or lined for this tournament. Our second match was on the stadium court. We were the first match of the day. The area behind the baseline lacked enough clay. During this match I slipped and fell. This was right outside the pro shop. Not one person bothered to assist me. My opponents went and found some ice for my quickly swelling hand. On subsequent visits I have found no restroom at the west beach courts. I had to use a porta potty...... seriously. I can't imagine how this facility was rated a top tennis destination.

5  Thank Kiawahkat43

Reviewed May 20, 2013

What is the ultimate compliment you can give a tennis resort? Probably, that it rained almost the entire time and we still had an amazing time. I was part of a group of five 3.5/4.0 women who traveled to Kiawah for the Prinella Haywood Memorial Tennis Championships. The adult NTRP tournament is a benefit in honor of a young resort employee who lost her battle with breast cancer.

We arrived a couple days before the event, so were able to take part in the three Stroke of the Day clinics and drills that are offered each morning. We worked with several pros at the clinics; Jonathan, Ryan, Brian, David and Roy Barth (who is the Director of Tennis). No matter which pro you are assigned, you can be assured you will learn something new that is specific to your game, hit a lot of balls, and have a good time.

The tournament ran over three very rainy days (a true rarity at Kiawah), but they somehow kept it nearly on-schedule, using both of their large and well maintained tennis centers as well as sending some matches "next door" to the Seabrook Island facility. The tournament provided lots of tennis with good competition and enjoyable opponents. There were several social opportunities connected with it as well, including a nice wine and cheese welcome reception, and a beautifully presented buffet dinner and silent auction.

Kiawah delivers away from tennis too. Our villa had a beautiful lagoon view and was an easy walk to the Roy Barth Tennis Center, the beach and the town market that offers excellent lunch choices. Due to the unseasonable weather we weren't able to have as much beach time as we would have liked. As this was our third trip to Kiawah, we know the ten mile long private beach is typically perfect for walking, biking, sunning, and swimming. There are also miles of paved bike trails, so even with our less than stellar weather, biking was a definite option. We also made use of the large heated pool that is centrally located in the resort. The weather did keep us from kayaking the marshes, but we'll do that next spring. We love Kiawah enough that we purchased a villa week at the silent auction for our next trip.

As stated earlier in this review, we have made Kiawah an annual tennis trip. In the past, we have gone to other tennis resorts, but have found a "home" at Kiawah. The setting is spectacular, from the lush grounds of the resort, to beautiful Charleston which is just 30 minutes away. The tennis instruction at Kiawah is top-notch, whether you do the three day camp, Stroke of the Day, private lessons, tournament or social play. (We've done them all.)"

1  Thank loveadventure4
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Try to take a lesson with either Roy Barth or Brandon! If you use the ball machine, have someone stay with you who knows how to keep the machine working. Great tennis clothes in the pro shop too!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Kiawah is my favourite place to play tennis and with over 30 courts, you shouldn't have a problem booking one. The pros are young and excellent and give clinics and private lessons.
The tennis is for all ages. If you are a man visiting, you are welcome to contact a resident who generously organizes tennis 3 mornings a week for
the other residents and visitors. Very friendly and fun place.

1  Thank LynnSmithOntario
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We enjoyed about 5 hours of tennis at Kiawah during our five night stay. While the courts are great, the hourly fee seemed a bit much, especially if you're not splitting it with another family. Also, the staff was not unfriendly, but wasn't very friendly either. My daughter took a junior serve clinic while there but I'm not sure the quality of the instruction was worth the price. I'd have been better off sharing a private lesson with a friend, rather than paying the clinic fee.

2  Thank Jennifer K