The Sanctuary is a gorgeous property with attentive service and beautiful views. I made a last minute reservation (calling one hour before arrival) and was able to secure an oceanview room (#260) for roughly $400 per night.
My room was on the inner courtyard side of the resort which looked out over the manicured lawn and toward the sea. Honestly I could call it oceanfront as I was able to sit on my small balcony or in my room and enjoy a view that was primarily of the ocean. The balcony was large enough for a small table and two chairs.
The room's interior was very nicely decorated : free WIFI, flat screen TV, a writing desk with two chairs, a small sitting area with a sofa, comfortable chair and coffee table all well lit by several lamps. The bed was amazing! The mattress was ever so comfortable and the sheets were as fragrant as freshly washed linens. And the room was quiet. Honestly, I haven't slept that well in a long time!
The bath is good sized and contains a soaking tub, double sinks, separate shower and a closeted commode. There is an unusual feature above the tub - louvered shutters that allow you to soak in the tub and enjoy a beautiful view or watch TV while enjoying a soak after a long round of golf. Elemis amenities are used throughout the resort including the hotel bathrooms. Lots of marble and white fluffy towels = a happy hotel guest. (The marble blends into this setting and looks aged. In other words, it feels elegant not like you stepped into a over-the-top room in Vegas.)
The restaurants that I tried were all very good. Jasmine's Porch is a more casual spot with tried and true favorites. Try the chowder made with sweet potato puree. Yum. And ask for Rodney's area. He was so attentive. The Ocean Room is excellent but a little formal for me. The pool area has a dining area and bar but I did not try it. The Library bar right off the front lounge is a lovely spot for an after-dinner drink and the pianist is a nice touch.
The grounds of the resort made me want to go home, rip up my yard and start over. There is an area near Jasmine's Porch called the butterfly garden. I could not take my eyes off the area! It is a beautiful area to stroll.
The hotel provides beach chairs and towels for all its guests along with cool bottles of water down on the beach. You can ride bicycles all over the resort. There are two pools and a hot tub. Heaven. Never found the time to try the Spa so I have no information on that aspect.
I loved this place so much that I actually convinced my husband to come back one week later and spend some time....He was smitten as well!
As far as dress, I saw people in all manner of attire. I wore simple white sleeveless linen top and blue linen skirt with sandals. I fit in everywhere. Outdoors people were in shorts and t-shirts with flip flops. I am sure that there are times/events where people dress up a little more than normal but I never felt like I was underdressed. This is a resort on the coast -- almost anything goes.
To the people talking about the lack of kids -- I saw loads of kids at this resort. Very well behaved kids. I am 47 years old and childless so these things stand out to me. If you don't want to be around your wild kids why would I? There I said it. Well mannered children are welcome everywhere. Ill mannered ones are tolerated but never appreciated anywhere.
In short, I can't wait until my next trip to The Sanctuary at Kiawah. It is divine!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Near Charleston, SC, The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort is an oceanfront Five Star/ Five Diamond hotel and spa offering casual Southern grace, comfort and charm on one of the top eco-friendly island in the U.S. It features five golf courses including The Ocean Course, site of the 2012 PGA Championship. Tennis magazine ranks it as America's No. 3 tennis resorts and it has one of the top-ranked beaches in the country. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Cheap Tickets and Hotwire so you can book your The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sanctuary At Kiawah Island Golf Hotel Kiawah Island
- Sanctuary Hotel Kiawah Island
- The Sanctuary Kiawah Island