“Exceptional Service right on the water!”

The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kiawah Island
boston
“Exceptional Service right on the water!”
Reviewed July 14, 2009

We were planning to hop down to Charleston for a long weekend to visit some old friends. Our only request was that our hotel be located right on the water, as my wife and I generally tend towards beach/sun vacations. This property had spectacular beaches. Service was over-the-top!. Literally the best service we've had anywhere -- on par with the Four Seasons Jackson Hole service! Check-in was easy. The concierge was helpful. The bed and the PILLOWS! (definitely the pillows!) were extraordinarily comfortable. Lounge bar was comfortable with good drinks.
The place was beautiful. Service was excellent. Can't wait to go back. And hopefully check out what seemed to be some awesome tennis facilities and spa.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jlajc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
Atlanta (north side)
Reviewed July 7, 2009

The Ocean front "Grand Lawn" is quite grand if you're looking for a peaceful, natural environment. We have traveled througout the Southeast (U.S.) and this is our favorite beach vacation. We saw two deer walking through the dunes at 3:00 PM in the afternoon! This is a 5 Star, 5 Diamond Resort, with a great kids program, spa, adult pool and kids pool, good restaurants, tennis (they got won the award for the #1 tennis resort in the "world") and beautiful ocean golf course. They put "tennis matching" to find someone who is staying at the resort to play with you and also have regular clinics and both Men's and Ladies Matches throughout the week. The Bohicket Marina is at Seabrook Island, just a few minutes away. Be sure to visit the Rose Banks Farm Cafe (at the Bohicket Marina) for lunch or dinner. They make everything from scratch. The food is awesome and the price is very reaonable! The Sanctuary Hotel offers several restaurant choices, including the Ocean Front Jasmine Porch, which is great for breakfast. This resorts attracts couples and families from around the world....we were suprised at the distance some had travled to spend the 4th of July holiday at this great place and to see an awesome fireworks display. Bicycle trails....marshes with sea birds, plenty to see and do. Romantic, Extremely Family-Oriented. Garden View rooms rates were $390.00 They also have Dunes View (ask for "2nd floor Dunes View, not 1st floor). We stayed in an Ocean VIew Room, so I could watch my husband "surf fish." He caught some baby sharks, red fish, and whiting, and put them all back in the ocean. Best view is to request an Ocean View Room in the "West Wing" (which overlooks the Grand Lawn and the Ocean) It's worth every penny! THIS RESORT IS A 10! OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE. EVERY STAFF MEMBER WE SAW GREETED US WARMLY AND WAS EXTREMELY PROFESSIONAL. There is some nice shopping in the little town of Kiawah Island.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
south carolina
Reviewed June 25, 2009

My boyfriend and I came over this past weekend for a special birthday getaway for him. My treat. Our room was nice and the setting was beautiful. However, there were a few things that did not seem on par with the advertised Five Diamond Service standard.
The day before I had called to confirm early check-in. We live in Charleston and wanted to arrive early for a long bike ride around the Island. Upon check-in I was told our room was not ready. We waited about 1 1/2 hour for our final room inspection to be completed. A bit frustrating since I had called and been assured that no one was in the room the day before.
Pool service- took a while to get check from staff- we asked for it 2x in order to make our spa apts. Finally got up and went looking for the waiter.
That night we had reservations at the Ocean Room for 8:30pm. We changed our reservation at 8:25 to 9:00pm bc we were running a bit late. When we arrived at 9- we were told by the hostess to be patient "as they needed more time to provide us with excellent service"- we waited until 9:20, inquired again, and were again asked by the hostess to wait. At 9:25 we were sat. Our waiter came to the table about 5 mins later only to rush away in the middle of my ordering a drink and not return until 10 mins later. We then ordered. At 9:50- my boyfriend got his drink. Mine came after my soup was 1/2 eaten. My steak was excellent- however my boyfriend's fish was extremely fishy and we sent it back for the risotto instead. It too was not good. The restaurant was only 1/2 full so the there was not a good reason for the service to be so poor.
Sunday morning we slept late and went down for breakfast. (10:30am) Unfortunately, Jasmine Porch closes for 1 hour between breakfast and brunch on Sundays. That was surprising to me, and I just thought I'd mention this because Sundays at a resort most people are usually moving slow- why close for an hr- just keep going and close after lunch. It was bit disappointing to miss the wonderful breakfast we'd heard so much about.
Bike path- no signs whatsoever letting us know where the turn off for the Sanctuary is. If you don't want bikes on the road then you must have signs on the bike path. Myboyfriend fell off his bike and skinned his knee bc we got lost looking for the right turn off. Also- Kiawah does not allow bikes on the road so you HAVE to take the path- very hard to manuver on road bikes.
I really wish I could be sending a glowing report. Having stayed at a good number of luxury resorts such as the Four Seasons in Costa Rica, Miami, Atlanta, and the Cloister in Sea Island, I had hoped this would be a great place for us to go for weekends in the future. Great proximity to Charleston and all!
My main issue was when I sent an email to the front office manager, he did call me, but only offered to buy us dinner or brunch (no alcohol of course) next time we came to resort. Thank you but I'll buy my own...at ANOTHER resort!

13 Thank lovestotravel04
West Texas
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Great reception, great hotel, great service. Food is terrific, views are unbelievable. We'll be back.

London/Florida
Reviewed May 31, 2009

Second stay and was just as great
Staff are the best
Room great
Will be back

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 5, 2009

Was thrilled with this lovely hotel. It is charming. The staff is superb, the location ideal, the amenities great and the food delicious. While large, it can feel quite uncrowded. They go out of the way to make the stay pleasant. Nice pools (indoor and out), great beach, bike rentals, good gym. It really was fun to stay there and I will visit again. It is an elegant, understated gem of a place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
London
Reviewed April 27, 2009

This was a special treat for my birthday last year and I loved it. It's right on the ocean with miles and miles of beach you can walk on. It's got pools, gardens, walkways and restaurants galore. You can hire bikes and ride along the beach and through the resort, very often coming across dozing alligators snoozing on the lawns. The rooms are huge, the bathrooms equally big. Everyone was really friendly and helpful. You can happily spend your entire vacation here as there is so much to do. But Charleston is just a half hours drive away as are so many of the amazing plantation homes that it's worth dragging yourself away from the beach and the cocktails to see the beauty of South Carolina. The down points, its a resort hotel so its big and not very personal.We were there at Easter so it wasn't that full. In the summer I think it would have an entirely different feel.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
The Spectator Hotel
#6 of 61 in Charleston
Tides Folly Beach
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach

Been to The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort? Share your experiences!