The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort
Andell Inn(Kiawah Island)(Great Value!)
$219
Great 4.5/5
Tides Folly Beach(Folly Beach)(Great Value!)
$239
Average 3/5
Quality Inn(Charleston)
$89
QualityInn
Holiday Inn Express Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$124
$105
HIExpress.com
Great 4.5/5
Comfort Suites West of the Ashley(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$125
$76
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,332 results
All reviewsocean roomjasmine porchryder cuplobby barspa treatmentsritz carltonfour seasonsadult poolclub levelsea islandbeautiful propertysoaking tubturn down servicestar resortrented bikessouthern charmsouth carolina
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 25, 2009

My boyfriend and I came over this past weekend for a special birthday getaway for him. My treat. Our room was nice and the setting was beautiful. However, there were a few things that did not seem on par with the advertised Five Diamond Service standard.
The day before I had called to confirm early check-in. We live in Charleston and wanted to arrive early for a long bike ride around the Island. Upon check-in I was told our room was not ready. We waited about 1 1/2 hour for our final room inspection to be completed. A bit frustrating since I had called and been assured that no one was in the room the day before.
Pool service- took a while to get check from staff- we asked for it 2x in order to make our spa apts. Finally got up and went looking for the waiter.
That night we had reservations at the Ocean Room for 8:30pm. We changed our reservation at 8:25 to 9:00pm bc we were running a bit late. When we arrived at 9- we were told by the hostess to be patient "as they needed more time to provide us with excellent service"- we waited until 9:20, inquired again, and were again asked by the hostess to wait. At 9:25 we were sat. Our waiter came to the table about 5 mins later only to rush away in the middle of my ordering a drink and not return until 10 mins later. We then ordered. At 9:50- my boyfriend got his drink. Mine came after my soup was 1/2 eaten. My steak was excellent- however my boyfriend's fish was extremely fishy and we sent it back for the risotto instead. It too was not good. The restaurant was only 1/2 full so the there was not a good reason for the service to be so poor.
Sunday morning we slept late and went down for breakfast. (10:30am) Unfortunately, Jasmine Porch closes for 1 hour between breakfast and brunch on Sundays. That was surprising to me, and I just thought I'd mention this because Sundays at a resort most people are usually moving slow- why close for an hr- just keep going and close after lunch. It was bit disappointing to miss the wonderful breakfast we'd heard so much about.
Bike path- no signs whatsoever letting us know where the turn off for the Sanctuary is. If you don't want bikes on the road then you must have signs on the bike path. Myboyfriend fell off his bike and skinned his knee bc we got lost looking for the right turn off. Also- Kiawah does not allow bikes on the road so you HAVE to take the path- very hard to manuver on road bikes.
I really wish I could be sending a glowing report. Having stayed at a good number of luxury resorts such as the Four Seasons in Costa Rica, Miami, Atlanta, and the Cloister in Sea Island, I had hoped this would be a great place for us to go for weekends in the future. Great proximity to Charleston and all!
My main issue was when I sent an email to the front office manager, he did call me, but only offered to buy us dinner or brunch (no alcohol of course) next time we came to resort. Thank you but I'll buy my own...at ANOTHER resort!

13  Thank lovestotravel04
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Great reception, great hotel, great service. Food is terrific, views are unbelievable. We'll be back.

Reviewed May 31, 2009

Second stay and was just as great
Staff are the best
Room great
Will be back

Reviewed May 5, 2009

Was thrilled with this lovely hotel. It is charming. The staff is superb, the location ideal, the amenities great and the food delicious. While large, it can feel quite uncrowded. They go out of the way to make the stay pleasant. Nice pools (indoor and out), great beach, bike rentals, good gym. It really was fun to stay there and I will visit again. It is an elegant, understated gem of a place.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2009

This was a special treat for my birthday last year and I loved it. It's right on the ocean with miles and miles of beach you can walk on. It's got pools, gardens, walkways and restaurants galore. You can hire bikes and ride along the beach and through the resort, very often coming across dozing alligators snoozing on the lawns. The rooms are huge, the bathrooms equally big. Everyone was really friendly and helpful. You can happily spend your entire vacation here as there is so much to do. But Charleston is just a half hours drive away as are so many of the amazing plantation homes that it's worth dragging yourself away from the beach and the cocktails to see the beauty of South Carolina. The down points, its a resort hotel so its big and not very personal.We were there at Easter so it wasn't that full. In the summer I think it would have an entirely different feel.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends