“Wonderful Stay”

The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kiawah Island
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We recently spent six nights at The Sanctuary and, in my opinion, they lived up to their five-star reputation and awards.

Every staff member we encountered was friendly and went out of their way to provide service, to explain things, answer questions, or just give a warm greeting when passing by. The dining staff were a great group, irregardless of where we dined. The dining staff was excellent at expressing their explanations and their views/opinions of the menu items. There was NO rushed dining experience; all of our meals were very relaxing experiences with no rushed feel whatsoever. The Sunday brunch at Jasmine's Porch was exceptional in our opinion.

The room itself was nice sized, well furnished and very comfortable. We felt the bedding was great, and the remainder of the room was very relaxed and a great place to spend some time. Service on the rooms was impeccable and timely. We enjoyed a great view of the courtyard and ocean from our balcony, and I suspect that are no bad views from any room in the hotel. The hotel grounds are beautiful and very well manicured. The walkways to the beach were also well maintained and conveniently located for their purpose.

It is not an inexpensive adventure to say the least; however, one look around at the facility, activities and staff quickly remind you of the reasoning for the pricing.

We enjoyed a very relaxed and pampered stay!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Spent four days with our daughter and family at this spectacular hotel and golf course property. Service was thorough, attentive, but not overbearing. The golf at the Ocean Course was the first time I played with a caddie and was one of the most rewarding experiences of the weekend. If you've seen this course on tv when the PGA plays there, tv doesn't do it justice. Our dinner at the Ocean Course club house was excellent. Would return here in a minute. It is however, a bit pricey for the average vacationer.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms, although a bit higher in price are well worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Bill L, General Manager at The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2014

Dear tmoyer2,

Thank you for your taking the time to share your recent experience at The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort. I'm thrilled to see you were able to play The Ocean Course and got to experience the PGA Championship Course first hand! I hope to welcome you and your family back with us in the future!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Short and simple: one of the best hotels and golf resorts in the world. Amazing ambiance, great service. Food and golf are top notch.

If you can go, dont hesitate. Its a special place not to be missed.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We came here to enjoy the beach and resort after having stayed in Charleston for 2 days. We cut our stay short and only stayed one night and went back to Charleston. We couldn't get into our room at the time it was guaranteed. The room was nice but very small. Our 'oceanfront' room had a concrete/dryvit rail that was right in front of our face when sitting in the chairs on the balcony. We had some requests to the front desk and after multiple times asking, we never heard back from anyone. Finally, we got our bill and there was a charge I didn't recognize. When I asked at the front desk they acted like they didn't believe me. I left the desk without resolution. Instead, they 'will get back to me'. Well, if it is like other questions I had, I won't hear from them. Way over priced, felt like just another face in the crowd, not welcoming or warm at all.(This was our 20th anniversary and was supposed to be our 'relaxing' end to our trip, instead we have to pack up again and head to Charleston to the Wentworth Inn where we feel very welome.)

Room Tip: Ask for the east side or west side if you want sunrise/sunset. We walked to the beach to watch. The...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank David H
Bill L, General Manager at The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

Dear David H,

Thank you for feedback on your stay at The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort. I am very disappointed to see that your stay did not live up to your expectations. I've also sent you a private note too asking you to call me directly to discuss. I would welcome the chance to speak to you directly should your schedule permit. Please call me directly at the hotel at 800.654.2924.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed August 16, 2014

Overview: Friendliest and most thorough staff of anywhere we have stayed in years! Just left after 5 days of bliss--after being greeted in the Club by Paul and Stephanie, both of whom were professional and offered service excellence during our entire stay, we were helped to our room by Cesar, again, professional and fantastic. We enjoyed club-level service during our stay that was fantastic including the gourmet offerings, service and suggestions. Kingsley was on the spot EACH evening making us feel so very at home! He was one of the kindest staff we met. Our first evening we dined in the Sushi Lounge and Leslie in the sushi bar served up perfection and Bryan was so very welcoming! Housekeeping makes it impeccably clean and were attentive to who is staying in each room. The essence of this place is its surroundings, a combination of Southern lovely charm and pristine beaches and pools. We were saying that the pool and outdoor staff, Trevor, Colline, jermaine, were what really put the frosting on the cupcake for this trip. I turned around to finish my lemon ice water only to find that someone was already bringing me another, or offering me a smoothy, or refreshing my towel. Not pushy, not intrusive, just perfect! The property's outdoor staff was, again, what really make the trip fantastic because that happens to be where you spend the bulk of your time. The fellas on the beach were sweating and running to get everyone in a beach chair asap and chatting genuinely with guests the whole time. **Note we were traveling alone as an anniversary gift to one another on this trip (which the staff helped us celebrate by sending champaign as well as roses on our bed) but this property is incredible for children and families. We can't wait to return with our boys sometime soon so that they, too, can enjoy all that this splendid spot has to offer. Also of note: the shuttle takes you around the island at request and Ron, our driver on two occasions, offered wonderful restaurant recommendations and guidance. Perfect stay from start to finish! HIGHLY recommend!!

Room Tip: Gardenview rooms are still just great!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Nice place and very attentive staff. Lacking luxury in the rooms. Worn out furniture and bedding. Jasmine Porch dining is over priced for dinner. Very average in atmosphere and food value. This hotel wants to be a luxurious destination. It feels tired.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Southernline
Bill L, General Manager at The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Good Afternoon Southerline,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us at The Sanctuary. I am disappointed to see that your stay did not live up to your expectations. I would welcome the chance to speak to you directly should your schedule permit. Please call me directly at the hotel at 800.654.2924. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Amazing views. Pure relaxation. Outdoor and indoor paradise. Phenomenal golf and food! Caddies are worth using to enhance golf experience. Ocean Room meal was amazing. Ocean course a must play. Spring and Fall probably less humidity and mosquitoes.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
The Spectator Hotel
#6 of 61 in Charleston
Tides Folly Beach
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach

Been to The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort? Share your experiences!