“Terrible service, beware of shaky beds”

The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kiawah Island
Atlanta, GA
“Terrible service, beware of shaky beds”
Reviewed August 11, 2008

The highlights of our stay at the Sanctuary were the warm greeting and goodbyes from the valet and bell hops. As soon as we arrived, they welcomed us by name. Unfortunately, things deteriorated from there. We waited a lengthy time to check in, the staff were completely unapologetic. This has never been my experience at the Ritz and other 5+ star hotels.
There were so many negatives to our stay, I will summarize them below:

Cons:
-very wobbly beds
-be wary of ocean view-ocean could be seen only from the edge of the balcony.
-tons of flies in room/restaurants
-unsympathetic/ambivalent service, do not follow up
-difficult to secure dining/spa reservations
-additonal charges for many expected services (ie)gator walk/yoga class
-unresponsive to requests for service, special requests
-mediocre food
-very spotty service in the restaurants
-billing errors
The biggest problem is their staff, I have received better service at middle of the road hotels charging a fraction of the price.
If they are going to charge a fortune, at least make me feel like it's worth it. The building is quite lovely, it is a shame that poor management and staff hinder the experience.
We will never return to the Sanctuary and will not recommend it.

• Liked — nice setting
  • Disliked — terrible service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
13 Thank alexsmomAtlanta_GA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Florida
Reviewed July 25, 2008

We spent 3 nights at this 5 star resort. The service and restaurants were the best ever experienced. We played on 2 of 5 golf courses. They were challenging and in good condition. The hotel pool was divided into family and adult areas. The beach was beautiful. The meals were well served and had great variety. The hotel casual restaurant, Jasmine Porch served an extensive breakfast buffet, and both lunch and dinner were great. Our grandson, 14 years old, went to the evening teen programs, and he met nice kids.

• Liked — Service and friendliness
  • Disliked — Not a thing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank EA43
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 5, 2008

My wife and I recently stayed at the Sanctuary to celebrate our anniversary.

Everything about this resort is first class. When we drove up, the bellmen did an outstanding job securing luggage. The palatial lobby upon entrance is breathtaking. Check-in by the front desk staff was very proficient and professional.

Our room was beautiful. Although it was not oceanfront, it had a view of the ocean facing to the north. It had a huge balcony that offered great views of the ocean and the manicured courtyard below. The room was large and featured a marble bathroom with separate shower and a deep soaking tub. The shower itself was fantastic, featuring several showerheads. The bathroom had folding shutters that allowed someone in the bath to be able to look out into the room or watch TV. There was a DVD player in the room and complimentary DVD's were available at the concierge desk. The room also included a full-length mirror.

The Sanctuary is located on Kiawah island in a beautiful private residential area. It has world class golf onsite including the famed Ocean Course. There are biking and walking trails located throughout the resort. We biked throughout the resort and they allow guests to bike on the beach as well. When the tide is out, biking is very easy on the flat, hard sand. They have a world class spa onsite and both an indoor and outdoor pool.

We only ate breakfast at the resort in the Jasmine Porch dining room. It was a fantastic buffet including an omlette station. We ate dinner outside the resort, but they have an upscale dinner option available at the resort called the Ocean Room. Jasmine Porch also serves dinner. they have a Beaches and Cream ice cream shop in the resort as well.

I have been to other ocean resorts around the world and I rate this near the top of the list. The resort is beautiful, has a well trained staff and wonderful rooms. I did see several families staying there. They have a very good kids club at the resort and advertise the resort as being one of the top family resorts in the USA. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone and I look forward to coming back to the Sanctuary in the near future.

• Liked — World class accomodations and service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Worldtraveler777
boston, massachusetts
Reviewed July 3, 2008

After reading some of the reviews about The Sanctuary, I had some concerns about spending the $700.00 plus a night to stay there. Those concerns were unwarranted. I just returned from a 7 night stay at The Sanctuary. I took my mother with me. We had a wonderful time. The hotel is a good 45 minutes from Charleston, so while I thought we would be going into Charleston alot, we did not. Once you get to the hotel, you do not want to leave. Especially in the heat. I think a good time to go here would be April, May or September October. It was quite hot.
The property is elegant. it is right on the ocean. The beach was one of the nicest I have seen. it goes on for miles, there are very few people on it, it is wide and has packed sand. You can easily walk or bike. I loved it. Another nice feature is the adult pool. It is actually enforced and people who do not want to be with screaming kids can have peace and quiet. its a pretty infinity pool (not too large but good enough). That was important to me.
The rooms were pretty. Ours had an ocean view. It was very very pretty. The grounds are also very pretty. Unlike other reviewers, I found the service to be the highlight of trip, We were never without a greeting when we went to the pool or the beach. We were always served water. The bellman were very friendly. Housekeeping was very friendly (bring money for tips!).
The fitness center was nice.. not spectacular but nice enough. The one issue is the choice of eating options. There is one really expensive dining room (we did not eat there once), a regular dining room and a pool bar. We intended to go into Charleston as I said earlier but never got there (its feasible, but after a nice relaxing day, do you really want to get in your car and drive 45 minutes there and back for a meal?). there are other options on kiawah island (all within 15 minutes or so). We ate at The Atlantic Room and would highly recommend, they also have a lobby bar which you can get lighter food. You can go to newmans supermarket which is in Fresh Fields shopping center (on the island) and get take out or sit outside.. They have everything you can want, not fancy but why do you need fancy after a long day in the sun? Thats what I would have done if I knew about it earlier.
I did not try the spa, which is unusual for me, but the treatments were so so expensive taht I decided to skip. I can get them at home for half price. Yes, this hotel is expensive, (in fact I think it is a bit overpriced- by about $100 per night) but it is really nice. Also note you pay an 11.5% tax..so it is an expensive week. Week cost me almost 6,000.

• Liked — location right on the beach
  • Disliked — cost
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank scooterr
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 1, 2008

There are some other southern resorts I have always enjoyed visiting, but now I'm in love with the low country! Beautiful, new (4years old?), spacious. A pleasure to stay in a hotel where the staff is so professional, knowledgeable AND nice. Our stay here was so nice because no one ever just passed us in the hallway. We were always greeted with a smile and good morning/afternoon, how is everything, are you enjoying your stay? Everyone performed their job like they were happy to be there, it really set the right tone for us. Arrived a little before check-in, so room wasn't ready yet. Not a problem, husband headed off to the Ocean Course where he easily got on as a single. Pretty much had the course to himself. Kids and I headed down to the beautiful beach while they stowed our luggage. They called me on my cell a little while later when the room was ready. Comfortable lounge chairs and umbrellas set up at beach and pool. Nice, wide beach and warm, gentle surf. Kids will enjoy the pool and fountain; adults will enjoy the 18+ over only pool with a fantastic view of the ocean. No pesky rugrats splashing you over there! Attentive poolside service for lunch was a treat. Also ate at Jasmine Porch for breakfast and dinner, delicious both times. Contrary to a previous post, I didn't feel gouged here, but I didn't order $15 drinks with umbrellas or anything. Just plain old house wine, which was quite good and a normal $7 or 8 a glass. The kid's portions were huge and without asking, I was always just charged the child price, or was told we could do a half portion of whatever (and mine are not toddlers). Room and view were pretty spectacular and spotless. Not a spec of sand, dust, dirt, or hair anywhere. Note to self, find out what vacuum they use. Huge sparkling bathroom with separate shower and tub. Just really pretty and such an overall pleasure, I look forward to returning.

• Liked — Gracious service; beautiful public rooms; plush, spacious guest rooms; setting
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank weathervane
minneapolis
Reviewed June 16, 2008

This is a beautiful resort and it is difficult to find anything wrong with it. I can say the room was very nice with a great balcony and ocean view. We were staying as part of a work prize.

The staff was amazing from checkin to check out, but they did seem to miss very small things. Normally I don't sweat the small stuff, but at $600 a night i expected everything to be perfect.

Drinks were sky high and it was just blatant gouging. $15 for a drink is to the point of ridicules and a lunch for 4 - $160.

I recommend the Gator tour. Our guide Abby was very good and it was a ton of fun. It is geared towards ages 7 and up.

I mostly enjoyed the beautiful beach, but the pools looked wonderful. There is a little station on the beach next to the hotel area where a person can rent equipment for ocean play, but I didn't see the cost.

I guess if you can afford to stay here, you don't worry about all the extra charges.

Also, it is a good 50 minute drive into Charleston.

• Liked — Always something to do and finding quiet places to rest.
  • Disliked — No night life
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Michelle D
houston tx
Reviewed May 28, 2008

After Marriott messed up our booking in Charleston, we eventually found a room at the Sanctuary, this was probably the last room available in the Charleston area that night.

The room cost $650 which was paid for by Marriott. The room was amazing with a view of the Ocean. The hotel itself is as nice as i have ever stayed in. Unfortunately we were only there one night and we only arrived at 2am!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price (if i were paying)
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Downtown
Wentworth Mansion
Wentworth Mansion
#1 of 61 in Charleston

Been to The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort? Share your experiences!