“A week at the Sanctuary”

The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kiawah Island
“A week at the Sanctuary”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We had a great week. The staff and facilities are top rate. We had some of the best swordfish we ever had Jasmine Porch. Our anniversary dinner at the Atlantic room was wonderful also. The only thing I would not do again is go to cherrywood BBQ. It was average at best.

Room Tip: We enjoy the ocean front rooms. Sitting on the balcony reading early in the morning is very peacefu...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trapshot
Bill L, Hotel Manager at The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Trapshot,

Thank you for your kind compliments of The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your anniversary celebration at the hotel. Certainly if you'd like to offer any other feedback on Cherrywood BBQ & Alehouse I'd be happy to follow up with the outlet manager.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
Bill Lacey
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Visited in September 2013 with husband...he had business meeting...I got to relax. I have to say the folks working at the resort were some of the friendliest people I have ever met. So many nice small touches...putting bookmark in book left on soaking tub rim...shining shoes left out at night, choice of newspapers, amazing spa (Terry for avacado and coconut wrap with mini-facial and foot reflexology....was devine). Nice beach..great for walking...not many shells, but hard and flat with smooth sand. Good food in the pool restaurant....not as spectacular in other hotel restaurants.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill L, Hotel Manager at The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Hoya03mom,

Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review on your recent stay at The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort. I was so delighted to see that our ladies and gentlemen made your time on Kiawah memorable. I'll be sure to recognize Terry from The Spa at our next employee meeting and pass along your kind note about him. If you have time, please feel free to reach out to me regarding your dining experiences that you mentioned weren't as spectacular as The Loggerhead Grill. I'd like to pass along your feedback to our Director of F&B.

Warm regards,
Bill Lacey
Hotel Manager
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My son and I have visited the Sanctuary every summer for 5 years in a row. I feel myself unwinding as we drive across the bridge and wind our way through the lush low country foliage to the property. I allow the other reviewers to speak to the specifics of the beautiful grounds and surrounding island, but I am most amazed and appreciative of the staff. Everyone, (especially the gentlemen working the beach) does a remarkable job of making you feel welcome and pampered! In addition I noticed an improvement in the dinning; there are more healthy choices than before. I especially enjoyed long lunches on the Jasmine porch overlooking the butterfly garden across the pools to the Atlantic. Heaven! I would definitely recommend to a friend. Thank you Sanctuary!

1 Thank Subwayangie
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Our family stayed at the Sanctuary for the second time last month and it was even better than the first. Everything was absolutely perfect. The hotel itself and rooms are beautiful and well kept. The staff is super friendly and accommodating. You can't ask for a better location and views. There are many amenities on property. All of the food we ate was to die for. The price is worth it and we could not have asked for a better stay. I cannot think of any complaints. We will definitely return next summer!

1 Thank maddie m
Onalaska, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed here in 2008 and found this to be a Southern Gem.
I return in 2013 to find the resort even better.
The staff is trained well and the place still looks great.
Beach is perfect and the golf is world class. Played 36 at the Ocean Course two days and the only negative were the greens which had been punched.
Food options are limited and the pool should be larger but this is world class.

Room Tip: Ocean view room is a must
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Service is top notch. Staff - to a person- helpful and friendly. Location excellent. Hotel beautiful. Rooms fantastic. This is an expensive but worth it hotel. I stay in a lot of high end hotels and so was a little worried coming to Kiawah where this seemed like the only hotel choice available. Met every expectation! Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 4, 2013

It was our first stay at this unique resort. Our experience was mostly great at this beautiful resort.
Location is incredible, facilities are first class, rooms are spacious and well appointed. Beach amazing, one of the nicest on the east coast. An unexpected sanctuary in an unassuming place.

However, our experience at Jasmine Porch was subpar.

We had dinner there on Monday night and my wife ordered the fish special.

The fish was overcook, dry and old. One of the managers ordered another one for her which was cooked to perfection but it came so late that all other members of the family finished eating. At that point it was not a culinary experience.

We had breakfast in the morning. Even though the restaurant was not full we received terrible service.

Our table was never visited by a waiter. Every time we wanted something we had a to pull a server from other tables. We never had such a bad service at a resort of this class. We received not service at all. Even though breakfast was included with our package, at check out we had a charge of $39 for breakfast that was not explain to us.

After we returned home we had called and eventually resolved this. The resort took care of everything proving their first class status.
Fully recommended.

Downtown
Wentworth Mansion
Wentworth Mansion
#1 of 61 in Charleston

Been to The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort? Share your experiences!