“Almost a Blissful Sanctuary”

The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kiawah Island
Reviewed September 4, 2013

It was our first stay at this unique resort. Our experience was mostly great at this beautiful resort.
Location is incredible, facilities are first class, rooms are spacious and well appointed. Beach amazing, one of the nicest on the east coast. An unexpected sanctuary in an unassuming place.

However, our experience at Jasmine Porch was subpar.

We had dinner there on Monday night and my wife ordered the fish special.

The fish was overcook, dry and old. One of the managers ordered another one for her which was cooked to perfection but it came so late that all other members of the family finished eating. At that point it was not a culinary experience.

We had breakfast in the morning. Even though the restaurant was not full we received terrible service.

Our table was never visited by a waiter. Every time we wanted something we had a to pull a server from other tables. We never had such a bad service at a resort of this class. We received not service at all. Even though breakfast was included with our package, at check out we had a charge of $39 for breakfast that was not explain to us.

After we returned home we had called and eventually resolved this. The resort took care of everything proving their first class status.
Fully recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Upon arrival the various staff members offered congratulations as soon as they heard our name. We were immediately received a room upgrade. 30 minutes after we got into our room, a bottle of champagne and several chocolate dipped strawberries arrived, compliments of the house. When we arrived at the ocean room for dinner, again the anniversary was acknowledged and we were escorted to a table decorated with rose petals and facing the ocean. We were served 2 glasses of champagne, compliments of the house.
When we returned to our room, we found a large rose petal heart on our turned down bed. Dinner the following evening at the Jasmine Porch included champagne and a special dessert. We played 2 rounds of golf on Turtle Point and Osprey Point. Both were in excellent shape and the staff was very accomodating.
It was a GREAT experience.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are a must.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is perfect. Beautiful views and airy rooms. The staff was very attentive and accommodating, I joined my husband on a business trip in April 2013 and I was so happy I did! It was very relaxing. The beach is beautiful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The property is beautiful but very formal. Not beachy. Overall the food is terrible. Rooms are nice but not worth the money. It's a Ritz-Carlton wannabe.Way overpriced.This will be my last trip to Kiawah. 45 minutes to Charleston. Next time It will be Isle of Palms.
For rhe money spent on this hotel, it could well be Italy or the French Riveria.

Room Tip: stay away from the pool
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank David B
Bill L, Manager at The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear TheBlade91,

I was disheartened to read that you did not enjoy your stay at The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort and that our F&B team fell short of your expectations. I'd welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly concerning your stay. Please feel free to reach me directly through the hotel at 843.768.6000.

Warm regards,
Bill Lacey
Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I really hate giving hotels bad reviews especially this one.
Let me start with the pros:
The hotel was gorgeous and the bellmen were very attentive upon arrival (and during the entire stay). The lobby is grand and beautifully decorated and the front desk staff was wonderful. The rooms were very comfortable and well appointed. The spa treatments were wonderful (Gigi and Amy were delightful ladies). The food was some of the best I have tasted. We had every meal on site and we were never disappointed. My husband golfed and said the courses were off the charts.
Now on to the cons:
The service was not acceptable for a hotel of this caliber. It seemed each time we needed a chair at the pool, lunch or a cocktail someone always helped us but "it was not their job." On the day we sat by the beach, Michael was our server (he was a very nice man). It is not his fault that he was the only one serving the entire beach (might I add my visit was over Labor Day). We ordered 2 drinks ($18 each) and they arrived melted and watered down. There are 2 bars at the pool; one closes at 4pm, the other at 5pm which is really beyond me!
Upon checkout, we asked to speak to the manager. He was a very nice man and promised to follow up with us after speaking to the appropriate department heads about their shortcomings. He did indeed call like he promised and offered minimal compensation on a future stay that we will not likely redeem. I was not looking for a free stay but what I was looking for was a place that had great service since you are paying through the nose. This hotel is very expensive and I do not mind paying that if the service matches up. Unfortunately, it did not.

Room Tip: Opt for a room with an ocean view, you will be glad you did.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank Happel
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is both a beautiful location and a well managed resort. We stayed Monday thru Thursday with a conference and had a great time. The food was wonderful at every event, the staff courteous and attentive. They organized a 5K run and the staffer, a former elementary school teacher warmed us up. The glass fusing class was a lot of fun, as was the ice cream shop and the pool areas (one just for adults). I found a large horseshoe crab helmet on the beach, and we ate at some great restaurants on the property. At Mingo Point we ate oysters as the sun went down and listened to a great band. A great bed and towels and linens. Beautiful golf courses.

Room Tip: I could not see a bad room from any angle, but higher up should be better.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Sanctuary over the Labor Day weekend and could not have been happier with our splurge. While there were two weddings and the hotel was at capacity, we felt doted on. You begin with a facility that is truly beautiful in a beautiful place. You add lovely warm water and so much to do that you can't see or do it all in a weekend, even if you don't play golf. Biking, kayaking and a game room to top if off. If you have independent children they can room safely when your interests diverge.

Then comes the food which is wonderful at every location. There are even many flavorful vegetarian options.

But what makes this place is the people. I could actually start naming names but I wouldn't want to offend those I forgot. From the hard working men and women on the beach or at the pool to the concierge, everyone smiles and helps you reach a blissful relaxed state. Thank you to everyone who made our stay so perfect. We will be back!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
The Spectator Hotel
#6 of 61 in Charleston
Market Pavilion Hotel
#8 of 61 in Charleston

Been to The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort? Share your experiences!