“Southern Perfection”

The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kiawah Island
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The Sanctuary is truly a place that allows you to exhale and relax into their gracious southern hospitality. Of course it's a gorgeous hotel full of wonderful touches that make you feel as if it's been there for decades (it hasn't) and the beaches outside stretch on for miles of clean, compact sand. The icing on the cake is the exceptional service and true care you receive from their staff. From the valets to the concierge... everyone was perfect. I mean it. Friendly without being cloying, helpful without being intrusive. We visited during off season and felt like we had the place to ourselves. I highly recommend the ocean views suites with two balconies (sunrise and sunset views) and the Jasmine restaurant had some lovely, inventive cuisine (including vegetarian dishes) that we enjoyed. Although we don't golf, I understand why people come from all over the world to enjoy their greens. But it's the service that would bring me back and cause me to recommend them to friends and family. This is a wonderful, relaxing, luxurious resort and well worth the money to spend some quality time with a loved one.

Room Tip: Corner 5th Floor Ocean View Suite. Perfection.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Scribble96
Write a ReviewReviews (1,289)

Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Sanctuary is one of those rare destinations which would satisfy any traveller's needs - family, business, couples - we saw weddings and family reunions while we were here and believe this would be the perfect spot for either! The amenities are superb - gorgeous beachfront property, 2 pools, incredible restaurants (love the homemade jam in the morning!), tennis, golf, biking, spa - the location has it all! The hotel is beautiful and the staff is attentive, friendly and detail oriented. Can't wait to go back...

Room Tip: Try to get a beachfront room with a balcony
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 22return
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This truly was a wonderful hotel, I have stayed at some of the finest hotels from Beverly Hills to Palm beach and New York City and I have to say this was one of the most beautiful hotels and nicest staff. I booked through WhataHotel.com and got some nice extra perks such as room upgrade, free valet, breakfast x 2 and fruit plate & Pelligrino. I called hotel directly a short time after I booked online, to confirm reservation,I told the reservationist Stephinia, I would like to be near my freinds that were staying in an Ocean front room. She put in the request and much to my surprise I was double upgraded to an ocean view room. Cody at check in was wonderful as well as the valets and bellman. Only a few gripes. No coffee maker in room, they offer free coffee in Lobby. Just thought was strange because just about every hotel has coffee makers in rooms, The Bathrooms were beautiful but was very slippery in shower and was nervous I would slip. nothing to hold on to. Jaccuzzi near the indoor pool was not working, but after a few phone calls I made, they got it up and running even though young lady said they could not. Breakfast service was slow, buffet was just ok, should have done ala carte asked twice to get water and had to ask to get more coffee, server assistant wasnt real freindly. Ate lunch at Osprey, server was very very nice and food was great, Dinner in Ocean room was nice how ever little upset with Wine Steward.My friend ordered a $500 bottle of wine cause he said he could do it for $250 and that the flavor of it was like a Cabernet, however it was not like a Cabernet at all, and when I googled the wine after dinner to find out about it, it sells for $105.00. I know mark ups in the business cause i was in it for years but to mark it up to $500 was a little crazy to me. But we only paid $250. The property was so pretty even during the off season, Grass was so green. Piano music in lobby was very nice.

Room Tip: The Heater made a loud noise
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Richard C
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Just returned from a meeting with my company and while in the off-season, the staff treated us as if we had been there at the hieght of their season. What a beautiful resort which totally understands customer service.

Great ocean views, amazing rooms, wonderful lobby and bar and great food.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank marysusanslobin
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is definitely one of the nicest most pleasant places I've stayed. The resort and grounds were stunning. Customer service was impeccable. Room and bathroom were huge. Heavy plush towels, robes, slippers. All restaurants were great. There are 30miles of bike trails and we rode all over. Saw lots of deer. What a peaceful relaxing weekend.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank luvacationing
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Very elegant. Not perfect, but perfection seems to be what they are striving for. The common areas were grand, in all senses. Grand – but not stuffy. It is furnished beautifully; the staircases long and winding; the draperies plush. Just beautiful. The lawn facing the ocean appeared to be manicured with fingernail clippers – it was a croquet match waiting to happen. The food in the restaurants was delicious; the Jasmine Porch breakfast, world class. The staff was incredibly well trained and helpful. I asked a waitress for ideas for what to do one day – and got a 10-minute travelogue. I asked a gentleman breaking down a room after a meeting how to get to a room after taking a wrong turn, and was escorted across the hotel. The front desk knew my name when I walked by. The rooms were spacious and well appointed; the amenities (Elemis) were great.

So what wasn’t perfect?

- Don’t know whose design idea it was to have louvered walls in a bathroom, but it doesn’t give enough privacy.
- Water pressure in the shower could have been better
- Turn down service at 5:00ish, which it was all nights I was there, is too early
- The spa’s “computers are down” and not able to charge to our room, got old after a couple of days (but speaking of the spa, let me tell you, Andrew is the MAN).

But, all in all, just first class and beautiful.

Room Tip: All rooms have balconys, the rooms facing south have direct views of the ocean with ample living spa...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have stayed here 7 or 8 times-either during sports weekends(marathon, triathlons) or just to get away and relax. The rooms are so comfortable-the staff always friendly, smiling and helpful. I love the spa with its soothing relaxing waterfall pool and signature treatments. I have never been disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
King Charles Inn
King Charles Inn
#18 of 61 in Charleston
Comfort Suites West of the Ashley

Been to The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort? Share your experiences!