“I'm in love!”
Review of Fat Hen

Fat Hen
Ranked #3 of 69 Restaurants in Johns Island
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chef Fred Neuville is excited to embark on his first solo venture. "With Fat Hen, I am striving to create a neighborhood restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere and signature French-inspired Southern cuisine," he says. "Johns Island is a fast-growing area and I believe island residents - along with others from around Charleston - will appreciate what we have to offer." Fat Hen's main dishes center around innovative French classics with Low country flourishes, sourced from the finest local produce farmers. The Braised Chicken features locally raised free-range chicken braised in red wine with rich bacon lardons, root vegetables & mushrooms. Fat Hen's Short Rib, a favorite signature dish among family and friends, is braised for hours in a rich veal broth.
Reviewed May 22, 2017

I had a very special time here on a road trip with a friend. The location is cozy and fun, and it makes you feel at home. Out back, you can have a drink while waiting for your table (we arrived early, and were almost disappointed when they called us for our reservation, because we were having such a great time) at the Coop. There are tables with umbrellas, a fire pit, and a bar with tractor seats for bar stools out there.

The food and service are just scrumptious and down to earth, though luxurious.
We had fried green tomatoes and mussels as an appetizer- OMG, just do it- and I had the shrimp and grits for dinner, which was just heavenly. The flavors were so delicate, yet the dish was hearty. My friend had the duck confit, which I tasted, and she gobbled.YUM.

I had a bourbon from their ample choices.

For dessert we had the coca cola cake. It is plenty to share, a moist and dense bundt cake with a ganache to knock your socks off, served warm with melty vanilla ice cream on top. I wanted to move to the South after this amazing experience.

Get to the Fat Hen if you are traveling to Charleston!!

1  Thank kellzaboppin
Fred N, Owner at Fat Hen, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2017

We love that you're in love with us! Thank you for your great review. We look forward to seeing y'all the next time you visit Charleston!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,012)

Reviewed May 21, 2017

The place was hopping on a Tuesday night. We were staying close by. Usually don't review a restaurant on one visit but will make an exception here. I probably wouldn't make the drive from downtown were I staying there, given all the other options. But certainly is worth a try if you're looking for something new.

1  Thank FredCritic
Fred N, Owner at Fat Hen, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2017

Thank you for review! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 17, 2017 via mobile

Short ribs were so tender I could almost eat with a spoon. All sides were as good as any highly rayed Charleston restaurant. Worth checking out

2  Thank kennylofton
Fred N, Owner at Fat Hen, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2017

Kenny, thanks for your review! We appreciate you coming to visit us and we will see you again soon!

Reviewed May 15, 2017

We have been there numerous times, and it is always consistent. We started out with their fried green tomatoes and they were the best we have ever had. My wife ordered their shrimp and grits. The way they prepare their grits is very special, a great dish to have. I had their braised short ribs, which are absolutely the best you will find anywhere. They have a large menu with wonderful entrees, and a large selection of appetizers. Their service is excellent, and the restaurant always has friendly customers. The manager, Scott Flynn is very helpful and knowledgeable. The owner and executive chef, Fred Neuville has created some of the best dishes that you will only find at the Fat Hen. The restaurant is always crowded, so I would call for a reservation.

2  Thank Larry A
Fred N, Owner at Fat Hen, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2017

Larry, thank you for your review! We always enjoy seeing you and your lovely wife. Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 5, 2017 via mobile

Amazing grits. Catch of the days is always a good choice. Relaxed, casual atmosphere. We come every year during vacation. Wish we lived closer so we could go more often!

2  Thank 470carold
Fred N, Owner at Fat Hen, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2017

Thank you for your review and your continued loyalty. We look forward to seeing you again next year! Safe travels home.