“Best beach in the Carolinas!”
Review of Isle of Palms

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
South Carolina
11 helpful votes
“Best beach in the Carolinas!”
Reviewed March 13, 2009

If you are looking for the best beach in Carolinas then make your way to the Isle of Palms, SC. This small beach town has soft sands, clean waters, and friendly locals. IOP offers great golfing, boating, and delicious seafood.

1 Thank waterwayy
Isle of Palms
3 helpful votes
“The Truth about IOP”
Reviewed January 16, 2008

For the ones that really know. The golf course is over priced and falling into the ocean. The sand is dirty. The food is lacking for a better word. Don't expect any surprises. No fishing here. No fishing pier. Don't drink and drive; especially on the beach. Avoid ACME Catina at all cost. Windjammer is lacking in whatever it is that you might be seeking. On the other hand if you want to lock your self in your room, and avoid being attacked by stray dogs on the beach be my guest

3 Thank oneclearday
atlanta
“My favorite beach”
Reviewed September 22, 2007

I was lucky to find a dog friendly beach condo, apparently an inn converted to condos a few years back, only a block to the beach: the Ocean Inn. I loved the beach which is a long stretch of public beach stretching from a light house all the way down the other end, about 4-5 miles. I heard dolphin sightings were usual even though I was not lucky. The dog leash laws were strict but allowed dogs to be off leash b/w 5 AM and 8 AM every day. There were not too many dog friendly places, but a few allowed to sit out on the patio.

Wirral - England
2 helpful votes
“I'll Be Back !!”
Reviewed March 1, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Isle of Palms resort in October 2006 and found it very friendly, very very, clean and all the store and restaurant folk extremely helpful.
It is only a 15 minute drive to Boon Hall and other beautiful civil war mansions.
A trip to James Island to an impromptu jazz/bblues concert was one of our highlights.
We had glorious weather for our two weeks and look forward to going back in the future.

Brian + Betty Forrester
Wirral
England

2 Thank Brianaforrester
A TripAdvisor Member
“A Relaxing Good Time”
Reviewed December 10, 2002

Every summer I like to take a beach vacation in the United States. I grew up near the “shore” in New Jersey and always loved my time there. Since moving South I have visited beaches along the Georgia and Florida coast. This summer I decided on Isle of Palms, a small island off the coast of Charleston, South Carolina.

I chose Isle of Palms because of its close proximity to Charleston, which is about 15 minutes away. Charleston is a lovely old Southern town with lots to do.

I decided to rent a house because I was taking my mother (aged 74) and my son (aged 6) with me. This way we would be able to cook some and go out to eat sometime. During my research on the Internet I came across Island Realty. They rent houses on several islands near Charleston. They offer all size homes in and also condos in a gated resort area know as Wild Dunes. I chose a 2-bedroom house 2 blocks from the beach with a screened in porch and a deck. There was an upstairs and a downstairs apartment. I chose
upstairs. Parking was included. The house cost $850 per week plus tax. It came to just over $1000 a week with a Saturday afternoon check-in and a Saturday morning checkout.
I thought this was much more reasonable than sitting on the bed in a hotel at night.

We drove from Atlanta to Charleston. It took about 6 hours. On the way we stopped in Columbia for lunch. I was craving barbeque ribs so we stopped at Maurice’s. Mistake.
The plate arrived and everything was brown in color. I recognized ribs with a mustard sauce and then rice covered with some brown mushy stuff. I was told it was hash, made from ground up meat. Neither my mother or I were able to eat it. Upon departing I noticed the plethora of Confederate flags (and lack of African American patrons). Later I was told this was one of 2 restaurants that were boycotted during the Confederate flag controversy.

Upon our arrival on Isle of Palms, Island Realty had an outdoor check-in with cold lemon and chocolate chip cookies. Check-in took less than 10 minutes.

Our house was located on 2nd Avenue. It looked exactly like the picture. Everything was new for the season. The sit-in kitchen was fully equipped with pots, pans, dishes, full size refrigerator, dishwasher, vacuum cleaner, broom, and mop. Anything you would expect in a house. One bedroom contained a queen size bed. The other twin beds. The furniture and pictures were sea scenes and reflected a beach atmosphere.

My mother especially loved the screened in porch where there was always a breeze even though the temperature was in the high 90’s. From the porch you were able to see the ocean as well as the mansions that were oceanfront (most of them are for rent as well).

Our first beach day we visited the “public beach” area. There is meter parking close to the beach and parking lot parking further away from the beach. Because of my mom’s age we opted for the meter parking. Slight hassle because you could only put 3 hours worth of change at one time. Advantages – restaurants and other places to eat right on the beach. There were too many cigarette butts on this part of the beach so we decided to
to go to the beach near our home next time.

The beach near our home was wonderful. Sand dunes and water not blue but clean. Nice shells and other not dangerous sea life to explore. Not crowded. We met our neighbors that were renting homes also. Everyone seemed satisfied with the accommodations and all the homes seemed newly renovated. Good waves for boogie boarding.

We took a 90-minute tour of Charleston. You can just go to the Convention Center and
take tours for all lengths of time and with different focuses – African American history, Civil War history. The houses in the downtown historic district have been restored to their former glory. I’m sure if some of the earlier owners came back from the dead they would be surprised to see their homes looking so lovely. Fort Sumter is nearby as well as Patriot’s Point.

Another day we drove to Beaufort and the Penn Center (a museum) to find out more about the Gullah culture – dating back to West African slaves. There was one place to eat – Gullah Grub. The menu had fish and chicken and rice (since this is what this area is known for). The restaurant was small but clean. Everything was cooked fresh. We spent a little time touring the historic district of Beaufort but by then decided every small town down South has a historic district. Savannah is also an easy drive – about 1-½ hours – from Charleston - but we didn’t make that trip this time.

On the island everyone recommends The One Eyed Parrot but again the parking situation in town was not good. So we found a restaurant just as you enter Isle of Palms named The Boathouse. I ate there 3 times during my visit and enjoyed it each time. First I gouged on shrimp. Then oysters and finally maxed out with the fresh water lobster tails.
The Boathouse is right on the water and the view is nice. There are loads of restaurants between the Isle and Charleston to suit any taste including the standard chain restaurants like Outback Steak House, Applebee’s, and International House of Pancakes.

You can also arrange for an eco-tour that will take you to small barrier islands where you can catch crabs, see land as it existed hundreds of years before and even experience dolphins. The loggerhead turtles are protected by Federal Law and the Turtle Teams on Isle of Palm make sure that the mothers don’t get run over, that the nests are not exposed to weather and predators and that as many turtle babies make it back to sea as possible. They will tell you all about this. Most members are devoted to the turtles.

Wild Dunes is an upscale-gated resort on the Isle. We tried to visit it but were turned away. It appears to have golf courses, condos, hotel rooms and restaurants self-contained but we really enjoyed our house at the beach and pretending we were residents if only for a week!

23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Isle of Palms? Share your experiences!