“not at all what i expected : (”
Review of Ocean Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Isle of Palms
Ocean Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I was looking for a pet friendly room for a couple nights off season so I could take my dog the beach & this one seemed like a good idea. It turned out I was wrong about that : (
The was a corner room at the top of the stairs to the 2nd level & seemed like it would be nice. The unit has a regular door as well as a sliding glass door. On the door that actually slides, windows were blurry to look out of (I think they needed cleaning) & there was no screen attached to enjoy the breeze. The apartment next to mine had a dog too & they had a regular screen door as well as a one attached to their sliding glass door.
It was quite underwhelming to find furniture & fixtures that looked like salvage from a thrift store. The space was awkwardly laid out but clean. The bed looked nice, but after sleeping in it for a night I was wishing for something else. There were about 6 pillows, 2 fluffy ones without much support & 4 others with feathers - NOT down - FEATHERS. Ouch. The bed was made with a spread that looked nice, but wasn’t terribly warm. The next day I discovered a light blanket in the odd little ‘storage area’ next to the bathroom. The walls were a sweetgrass green, which was charming, but there were no pictures or wall decorations - not even a clock; the living room had A mirror on one wall. The floor was tile, which was nice but no throw rugs or anything else. The bed felt like I was sleeping on a bench. It was just flat & uncomfortable. I thought of sleeping on the well worn couch, but there wasn’t really enough room or support to make it any more comfortable. The fridge had a broken bottom door shelf, held in place with electrical tape (nice touch). At least there was ice in the freezer.
The bathroom was hideous. The sink, toilet & tub were a matching yellowish, greenish, something gross kind of color, except for the toilet seat - that was off white. Didn’t go too well with the sweetgrass green walls or the 'yacht club' sign in there. (there was NO color that would have gone with those fixtures!) In places that were noticeable, workmanship was shoddy. Above the shower stall border, drywall was peeled away from the corner, a few inches of it. On the sink, the side support was cut wider than the actual top of the sink basin. It all had the feel of salvage materials in what may have been a storage room before; it certainly wasnt designed to be what they were trying to make it appear to be. Definitely not warm or inviting. Sad too, because being a corner room it has so much potential.
Also, everything seemed to have been pepared by someone whose maximum height was 5' 6". I am 5' 9" & the fridge was short, the bathtub toilet were very low, the sink & the mirror in front of it were low too. Even the shower head was lower than the top of my head.
For a corner room, I certainly expected a little more class, especially at what came out to about 150$ a night for the off season. The location is great, but certainly isn’t everything. Yes I have a dog, but cripes, is it really so hard to make things a bit more comfortable & inviting?

Room Tip: do not use room 206!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank mxp5769

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

The Ocean Inn is a nice little Inn that was very good for us. Our family wanted to stay in Isle of Palms and the Ocean Inn was the only place that was reasonable in price. We stayed in room 107 and it was great for us. Two bedrooms which were seprated by the kitchen and a little porch with a table. The people that ran the Inn was always very nice and spoke to us whenever they saw us out. This place is nothing fancy or high end but nice and enjoyable. The location was perfect because it is with in a 1/4 mile of the beach, shops(which are few on the island), and a good number of restaurants. We would for sure recommend the Inn and will someday return we hope.
I do have one complaint which is during our three day stay we got no clean towels and before we checked out the rules basically ask you to clean the room, take the trash out, and put all the linens and towels in a pile. I thought that is what housekeeping is for after every stay. I was just a little upset by all the request.

Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank CaribbeanSidewinder
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We rented a studio for a couple of days and had a very nice stay. The studio was spacious and clean. The location was great, just a block from the beach, restaurants, and shops. There is plenty of parking and a private pool.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy R
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Not clean at all. Dirty stained pillows, long hairs in bed, stained floors. The entire condo seems as if it has not been cleaned in quite sone time. You get what you pay for I guess but I was hoping it would atleast be clean.

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank Reedrichards06
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Very cute, compact condo. We had a split level, which I loved! 2 bedroom. The rooms are very small, but we didn't need anything big. A nice fully equipped kitchen. Nice size living room. Very clean and well decorated. One of the few in isle of palms that allowed dogs which was also a plus! Only a short walk from the beach. Could hear the bar music a tiny bit on Saturday night, but that would be my only complaint.

• Stayed: May 2013
7  Thank Stephanielee1991
Reviewed May 10, 2013

One block from the beach. Large living room. Full kitchen. Quiet. Lovely area. Nicely decorated. Would visit again. A bit more money than we are used to spending, but I went with Tripadvisor ratings and was not disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert C
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I couldn't have been happier with the Ocean Inn, especially when travelling with our dog (who isn't always welcome at most places). Although it wasn't right on the water, it was only a block or two away, with a strip of places to eat, shopping even closer. The studio condo we stayed in was wonderfully spacious, with a kitchenette and nice-sized living area. Wi-fi for the week was cheap at only a one-time $5 fee, though I guess if I had one complaint, it would have been great if that was included. But definitely not a deal-breaker. I would recommend this to anyone staying at Isle of Palms, especially if you have trouble finding a pet-friendly place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
#3 of 5 in Isle of Palms
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Palms Connector
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Pa...
#10 of 25 in Mount Pleasant
Hampton Inn and Suites Charleston/Mt. Pleasant-Isle Of Palms
3 mi away
Homewood Suites Charleston - Mt Pleasant
Wyndham Garden Charleston Mount Pleasant

Been to Ocean Inn? Share your experiences!