“WHY is this place #1?????”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Boathouse

Boathouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Boathouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Breach Inlet
Charleston, South Carolina
“WHY is this place #1?????”
Reviewed September 28, 2008

I will admit the view of the water is pretty nice, but many places on the other side of the island look right out on the ocean, so that's just more of the same.

Food wise, this place is NOTHING special. Typical over-priced great-view-kinda-place average food. I will admit that the gumbo that I had was great, but the steak/crabcake entree leaved a LOT to be desired.

I've been to soo many of these places that claim to be "the best in town," but usually it's the lesser-know and hole-in-the-wall places that are much better. Definitely not impressed.

If you want BETTER food and BETTER atmosphere, go to Huck's down the street, on the beach.

1 Thank pianos101

Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Over priced average food”
Reviewed September 17, 2008

We went to the Boathouse on IOP after we had heard it was "very good food." Honestly, the food wasn't bad, but I would no way consider it great. It was VERY AVERAGE food for an obsurd amount of money. I have no problem spending a lot of money on a great meal...but this was by no means great. Just a mediocre restaurant that is over priced.

1 Thank SophieWatson16
Raleigh, NC
“Great place!”
Reviewed September 17, 2008

My husband and I went to the Boathouse Sunday, Sept. 14, 2008 for pre-dinner drinks and then dinner. We had reservations at 7:45pm. We arrived early to watch the sunset from the roof top deck- it was amazing! Great bartender, Derrick, took care of us and recommended the local "Sweet Tea" Vodka (tasted just like sweat tea- which could get you in trouble quickly if not careful). The only con is the deck isn't huge and you can't really see the sunset from the actual bar area. It was crowded on the deck, but we never had to wait too long for our drinks. You can also order food up there as well if you like. After the sunset it was time for our reservations. We were seated immediately. I will agree with other posters, the tables are pretty close together and with that comes noise from others conversations. However, we were not bothered by this! We actually had some conversations with our "neighbors." Our waiter, Joel, was nice and made some recommendations. Our meals were great, cooked just as we ordered, and we didn't have to wait very long. The prices were about right for the entrees, but I thought the appetizers were a little over priced- four crab fritters were almost $10. Oh well... you are on vacation after all, might as well enjoy yourself! Overall, I would definitely recommend this restaurant if you are visiting the IOP or Sullivan’s Island. We will return on our next visit!

1 Thank carolinajennie
Charleston, SC
“Overrated”
Reviewed September 10, 2008

Waaaay overrated and nothing special. The food portions were small and ordinary and the tables are so close together you feel like you are eating with your neighbor. I can get a better meal anywhere in Charleston. Oh and I hope you like the sound of thunder because it will go on the whole time over your head from the chairs being scooted around at the bar upstairs. Very annoying. Won't ever go back.

1 Thank ncjjm
Charlotte
“Terrible food and service”
Reviewed September 9, 2008

Went here for my 1st anniversary. was served 2 pieces of chicken. One burnt to a crisp. Told the manager all he said is "I will let the chef know" didn't offer to replace it. ALso they charge you if you do not choose any of their side items and want a side salad instead. 2.50 so not only do you NOT get any sides you have to pay for this little bitty salad they give you. Waitress also seem to care less about the burnt chicken simply said "would you like dessert." the food was awful and the customer service was horrible. Never will I go there again

1 Thank luv2eatnc