“Awesome Talapia!”
Review of Boathouse

Boathouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Boathouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Breach Inlet
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I recently ate at The Boathouse on Isle of Palms, and my meal was delicious! I had a very fresh salad and talapia. I must say that it was the best talapia i have ever eaten! The restaurant was right on the water with a fabulous view of the sunset. the next time I am in the Charleston area, I will eat there again!

There are newer reviews for Boathouse

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Great seafood, nautical atmosphere. Casual dress and on a clear day you can see dolphins off the deck. A good place for friends and family.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We had an excellent meal there Jan 11 (during restaurant week). Previous reviewers did not. The food and presentation was excellent and wait staff professional. We did eat early (about 5) and it wasn't too busy. We've eaten there many times over the years, and while expensive, have always been happy with service and food. Sunsets are great in the Crow Bar in warmer months and we often have a meal there on apps.

1  Thank James B
Reviewed February 9, 2013

What attracted us to this restaurant was the prospect of dining waterfront, and since it's on the western side of the island, we also enjoyed a lovely sunset. The food was very good. My husband ordered the fried shrimp and grits, and I enjoyed the crab stuffed tilapia. Both dishes were excellent, but I have to say my husband won out on this one. The atmosphere was lovely, until some very loud, foul-mouthed patrons sat at the table next to ours, and ordered a wine that was out of stock. So then they demanded the most expensive wine in the restaurant, a three hundred dollar bottle. And the woman in the group began to barter, loudly, "275!" People in tables around us started to turn and stare. We ordered the chocolate mousse cake for dessert, which was delicious, and were happy to leave. Up until the obnoxious patrons arrived, we had a lovely meal, the sunset was pretty--even viewed through the plastic that was lowered to keep the outside deck warm. In the summer it must be really lovely. I only wish the management had done something to regulate the folks who came in obviously drunk already.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

My sweetheart & I dined at The Boathouse at Breach Inlet on Saturday, December 29th. For Jim The Boathouse was a home run, for me, not so much. First of all, I felt like I was sitting in the middle of Grand Central Station during rush hour. The restaurant was loud & chaotic, and the servers were moving at such a frantic pace, that I felt like my food was being thrown at me, rather than being served to me. In addition, the tables are very close together. We were actually dining with the party of four that was seated next to us. Not to mention, the servers cannot always squeeze by the patrons, in order to properly serve the table.

One of the reasons I selected The Boathouse, was because you could choose a fish from the daily selection, with five options on how it was prepared. I ordered grilled shrimp, which came with two sides or a house salad. I opted for the house salad, but requested fruit instead of veggies. I didn't think this would be a big deal, since they serve an entrée salad with strawberries, grapes & raspberries. Our server looked at me like I had lost my mind. She tried to upsell me the entrée salad for an additional $9.95. When that didn't work, she agreed to add the fruit, but would have to add a surcharge. The shrimp arrived doused in black pepper, which I scraped off. I dared not send it back or I might have received another disapproving look from our server. The Boathouse serves one complimentary basket of bread, per table. An additional basket of bread is $1.95. Are you kidding me? I've never had to pay extra for bread. It’s not the money that bothers me so much, it’s the principle & the audacity. I’m eating at a glorified Red Lobster for Pete’s sake!

On the other hand, Jim had the Soup du Jour, House Salad, and Grilled Red Snapper. He thoroughly enjoyed his selection, and thought it was the best meal he had during our visit to Charleston. He says he would definitely eat at the Boathouse again. If he does, he will be dining alone or with the people seated at the table next to him.

1  Thank OUTCRUISIN2610