“Hoped for more; got what I paid for”
Review of Port O' Call

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isle of Palms
Port O' Call
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Hoped for more; got what I paid for”
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Got a great deal on C202 for a few days in August. We've stayed at the hotel in Wild Dunes before but wanted a condo with ocean view this time for a reasonable price. That is what we got through Island Realty.
Location of Port O Call is great, close to Mt. Pleasant (where we ate a lot), close to Charleston and close to IOP Harbor where we took a crab trip (great).

The pictures on the website make the unit look great. Nice colors, nice style, hard wood (laminate floors). When we got there, we realized the owners had put some effort into it, but I was expecting more. For example, there are gaps between the dishwasher and cabinets, so you see the nasty stuff behind it. Same thing with the fridge. The tub/shower had cracks, floors made noises - we could hear the people above us walking, the sliding doors to the patio required two hands to open b/c they were old; etc...

All that doesn't really bother me that much, the biggest issue for our family is that we found 4 Palmetto Bugs (giant cockroaches) in the unit the first two days. It was just really creepy and hard to get over. I know we're at the beach, it's to be expected etc., but we've never had a problem with this before in other places. Kind of ruined it for us.

The outside of the units need a lot of work. The floor was very dirty around the elevator and our unit, door was filled with dirt and grime. The elevator was a mess, no air, windows all grimmy.

Pool was great, never crowded; beach was great. Bike paths are great, very quiet place.

I realize each unit is individually owned; I could have done a better job of finding one I guess; but the outside of the units are all the same - they need work. I imagine the owners pay a lot for upkeep, but they are not getting their $ worth in my opinion.

I'm really not that picky. We just like clean places. This one looked clean in the photos, but when you are there you feel like it's not. I guess for the price I got what I paid for. I would return to Wild Dunes, but would try a different condo complex next time.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank ckralich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed June 12, 2009

My husband & I stayed here the last week of April. We couldn't have been happier with our choice. The location was outstanding if you like some privacy. We had unit F303 which faced the ocean. Beautiful sunrise to watch each morning, and beach in this area of WD is not so crowded. Unit was decorated satisfactory, however, it showed a little wear. This is to be expected since it is a rental unit. Unit was very clean and we appreciated screened porch overlooking the beach. We'll be back!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ozarkstravelover
Berea, Ohio
Reviewed April 24, 2009

For the week we stayed in 304E Port O' Call, I felt as if I'd stepped into an issue of COASTAL LIVING. Casual and inviting in a muted palette of greens and a soft khaki and pine flooring, it was a space where we immediately felt comfortable kicking off our shoes. And whenever our lodging includes seeing the water the minute I open my eyes in the morning, I'm very happy indeed. This is a corner penthouse villa with a screened porch and widow's walk to an open roof top deck overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.
Staying at Port O' Call about 20-30 minutes from Charleston enabled us to combine a restful retreat with exploring the city. It was a good value, we thought, at a total including tax of $1097. Not everything was perfect (key mix-up, problems with unusual washer/dryer combo), but we'd like to return next year.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Akron OH
Reviewed March 18, 2009

We just returned from a 4-night stay in Unit B-304 in the Port O Call villas at Wild Dunes. Even though the furnishings aren't upscale (like at the Boardwalk Inn or Village at Wild Dunes), the condo is cute and the oceanfront location made our time there memorable. We took advantage of a Wild Dunes-offered package that allowed us to add a 4th night at no charge, so it was extremely affordable, too.

The weather was mostly to partly cloudy with temps in the low to mid-60's for daytime highs, but other than swimming, we were able to do everything we wanted to do. With Charleston such an easy commute, we enjoyed walking the historic district and shopping on King Street - and my husband was glad to get in a round of golf at the Harbor Course located on Wild Dunes. And, of course, being oceanfront allowed us to walk the beach at will - and enjoy the fabulous sights and sounds each day and night from our screened deck and bedroom windows. This unit also has a "widow's walk" located up a spiral staircase - but it was not accessible at this time (darn!).

As to local restaurant suggestions, we like the Sea Biscuit on the Isle of Palms for breakfast - and on the resort itself, The Lettered Olive is very nice. In Charleston, I would highly recommend Magnolia for wonderful food and lovely decor. If you're looking for a place for outstanding seafood and absolutely NO ambiance at all (but it's worth it), seek out "The Wreck of the Richard and Charlene" located on Shem Creek - the fried shrimp and oysters are amazing - and the Key Lime pie was the best we've ever tasted.

We look forward to returning to Wild Dunes - and though we may not specifically request this condo, I think that anyone who stays there would enjoy themselves as much as we did. (We also toured both a studio and 1-bedroom at the Village at Wild Dunes - and they are brand new and fabulous - so if you're looking for class *at a higher price*, stay there!)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusieQAkronOH
Southern Minnesota
Reviewed February 17, 2009

We loved our condo (A 304). The A building is not an oceanfront building, but the ocean views from our condo were fabulous! The condo was very clean and had everything we needed for our stay. The kitchen was small, but well equipped and supplied (kitchen soaps, paper towles, etc). The bedroom and bath were both quite large and all our linens and towels were provided. It was great to have a washer and dryer and we appreciated the internet access, too. The screen porch was wonderful and accessible from both the living room and bedroom. It was amazing to fall asleep and wake up to the sight and sound of the ocean waves!

Wild Dunes was great.....clean, beautifully landscaped and all the people we met were very nice. It felt like a very safe place, too. We walked on the big, beautiful beach every day and collected a great variety of shells (didn't find any shark's teeth though).

We booked our stay through Island Realty and they were a pleasure to work with. Everyone we talked to was very pleasant and helpful. And they were running a great special for the winter months, so we got a great rate, too!

All in all, our condo at Port O' Call provided a great start to our South Carolina vacation!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gjkov
Boone, NC
Reviewed December 30, 2008

First some information about Port O Call Generally:

As others have mentioned, Port O Call is a section of the gated resort community of Wild Dunes. Each unit of Port O Call is individually owned, and either rented by the owner, or a property management company. Wild Dunes is a large development, and Port O Call is just one small part of it. However, Wild Dunes is also an older development, which means its well landscaped and beautifully designed. The Port O Call section is in a quiet part of the development, away from the restaurants, tennis courts, etc. It's bracketed by the ocean on one side, and the golf course on the other. Port O Call consists of 7 buildings, each 3 stories tall, with a total of 9 condos per building. Buildings B & F are the ones that are directly on the ocean. They have the ultimate 180 degree views, with nothing between you & the beach. The other buildings may have ocean view, but they are set further back, and the view may be interrupted by landscape or the other buildings. All of the Port O Call units are one-bedroom, with a small kitchen, bathroom, breakfast nook, living room, washer/dryer & screened porch. The top levels also offer a rooftop balcony. Some old reviews mention that the beach eroded, but that has been repaired. There's a large beach area in front of the condos.

Next a review of Resort Quest:

We rented our unit through Resort Quest. Their website was easy to navigate, with an availability calendar that's kept up to date. I was able to book online, and since it was a last-minute trip, I got a great rate. Within 1 hour of booking, I received email confirmation of the reservation, along with all the information I needed in terms of maps, directions, what's provided in the condo, and what they recommend we bring with us. Their office on Isle of Palms is open 7 days/week, which is nice if you need anything. The DVD player was broken in our unit, so we were able to stop by the Resort Quest office & pick up a replacement.

Finally, a review of the specific unit we rented (B-302):

We really lucked our with our rental. It was a top floor, oceanfront unit. Some of the other reviews mention that the carpet in their unit smelled. The unit we rented (B-302) has tile & laminate flooring, so there's no carpet to worry about. (Smart owners!) The furnishings were comfortable. The apartment is bright & clean. The views are amazing from every room, but especially the bedroom. I've never woken up to an endless ocean view before. That combined with the sound of waves crashing as we fell asleep, made for a heavenly vacation. We also were able to access wireless internet while there, so we could check email or google local information when needed. We enjoyed meals on the island at the Sea Biscuit (breakfast), Long Island Cafe & Morgan Creek Grill. We cooked many of our meals as well, and it's worth leaving the island & going to the Piggly Wiggly instead of the local Red & White supermarket. The Piggly Wiggly is just a 5 minute drive, with much better selection & prices.

Overall, I'd give our vacation a 5-star review. We loved it all!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Mountainsssss
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed August 15, 2008

We stayed in Port O' Call Unit 302A. These are one bedroom condos along the beach on Isle of Palms, within the gated resort community of Wild Dunes. We booked with our travel agent through ResortQuest.

ResortQuest - could have been more clear about how to check-in. You have to go to their office first to pick up the keys to the unit. When I called to find out where the office was located the woman told me it was"Where the old bank used to be." This would have been helpful if this wasn't my first time on the island, but alas, it was. There seemed to be some confusion in the office too, when we arrived the young man said the room wasn't quite ready, but he would call when it was available. He was nice and we were a little early so we went to the grocery store first to pick up some items for the room. After that we called back and a woman answered the phone and told us to try back in an hour. A minute later the young man called and said we could come back and get the keys. No big deal - juts seemed unorganzied. The ResortQuest website also says there is a Concierge to help with vacation plnas. The first time I called to make arrangements with the concierge I was transfered from the receptionist and then the call was disconnected. I called back right away and the same receptionist said to try calling back tomorrow because the concierge was off that day. Again - no big deal, it just seemed like they were less organized and ready to help then they present on their website.

However, the room was supposed to come with detergent for the washer and when we didn't see any in there we called and they brought some the same day. That WAS good service.

Port O'Call - Ok - some issues with the room upkeep. The kitchen faucet was so loose that you couldn't turn it and it dripped unless you turned it off juuuusssst riiiight. The carpets were old and needed deep cleaning - a little yucky. The condos could use some sprucing up on the exterior. One of the units had a large piece of trim dangling off the window quite precariously. They needed exterior paint or cleaning very badly! Also the elevator smelled like moth balls - we had to hold our shirts over our noses - very gross carpet in there too. The furniture was nice enough and the kitchen well stocked. The tub was very dirty and the vertical blinds besides being outdated were broken. The place needed a really good scrub down. The AC didn't quite work in the bedroom and they had a fan in the closet that was also dirty and had two speeds - grandma breathing next to you and cyclone. It has a bad leak in the entry by the pot lights over the bar. It rained bad one night and all our stuff (my cell phone included plus a wallet, watch, and purse) got SOAKED! I almost fell on the wet tile in the morning. Yikes!

BUT - all that said. The views were wonderful - straight to the ocean from the bed and the screened porch and widow's walk were very nice. As problematic as the decor and cleanliness was - I think we would consider staying here again - but I think a different unit! The pool was great and it is so close to the beach - you can't beat it.

The Beach - great! The old reviews are out of date because they have put tons of sand on the beach and no matter where the tide was there was PLENTY on beach. No worries there. We had a great time with our toddler picking up shells and looking for shark's teeth - which a friendly local told us were washed up all the time and showed us what they look like. Fun!

Also recommend using the Isle of Palms Umbrella and Beach Chair Rental Company. They had our umbrella and two wooden lounge chairs et up on the beach in front of out unit every morning by 9am and came back in the afternoon to pick them up. So much better than lugging that stuff down to the condo andout to the beach. Friendly and easy service!

We had eastcooperdelivery.com bring us dinner from Zeus Grill one nioght - the food from that restaurant was great and the delivery service was super easy to work with and very helpful in recommending food. Also a great island service.

In short - We would try Isle of Palms again for the wonderful beaches and relaxing atmosphere - but would look for a different unit in Port O Call or a different complex in Wild Dunes altogether.

• Liked — Proximity to the beach and the view
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and decor
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Palms Connector
The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort
The Beach Club at Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina
Wyndham Garden Charleston Mount Pleasant

Been to Port O' Call? Share your experiences!