“Very pleased with this deal”
Review of Wild Dunes Resort

Wild Dunes Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 5, 2009

My family wanted to vacation near Charleston, but we also wanted to be on the beach. However, there are very limited options for staying on the beach near Charleston. Eventually, we managed to find a great deal on this resort, and we were very pleased with the experience.

It should be noted that this was our first time staying at a resort, so it should come as little surprise that we were impressed with the service. The staff, from the desk clerk to the cleaning staff, was always friendly in any interaction. We stayed in the Boardwalk Inn, and the room was clean and larger than most beach hotel rooms we've been in, and had a king-size bed. The cleaning service was top-notch, and the valets were always helpful.

Again, we are not regular resort patrons, and generally I would not bother with the upscale cost of a resort, as we tend to get out and about during our week of vacation. Therefore, we didn't take advantage of the resort's on-site amenities; due to negative reviews, we stayed away from the restaurants, and never found time to check out the tennis courts, etc. It was clear that others were taking advantage, and I could see how you could spend the week there and never leave the resort (although I would think that would be rather cost prohibitive).

We generally prefer a beachfront room, but since those were a scarcity around Charleston, we ended up with the short walk to the beach from the Boardwalk Inn, but it was not a long distance down the boardwalk between the resort's villas and across the Pavilion, which was always a hive of activity.

We only had a a few minor issues with the overall stay. Probably the most annoying was, as others have said in reviews, the walls in the inn seem to be surprisingly lacking in soundproofing. A child in the room next to us seemed to do nothing without crying, and we heard it clearly, so much so that we knew her by name. This surprised me for a hotel of this quality; I've stayed in several much cheaper hotels that were much more soundproof.

The refrigerator in the room was more of a cooler for alcoholic beverages, it seemed, and was small and did not keep things very cold. There was no microwave provided, either (again, I'm sure the assumption/hope is that you'll be eating the meals offered by the resort).

The place is layered with security, and that's a nice thing, but it became a bit of an annoyance in coming and going from the beach late at night. Since the Pavilion closes at 11 p.m., the gates on either side of the Pavilion would not accept your key card after this time; hence, if you wanted to walk to the beach after 11 p.m., you had to take a circuitous route through darkened areas. Additionally, late at night our key card would not open the gate opening onto the pool at the back of the inn (even though a staff member told us it was open all night), forcing us to walk around to the front of the hotel to get back in. This probably wasn't much of an issue for others, as all the common areas, from the Inn to the beach, were devoid of guests after 11 p.m.

Overall, this was the nicest place we've stayed on any of our eight family beach vacations. All that being said, as was noted at the beginning, we got a great deal on this room; we got great value, but it's hard to speak to what kind of value it would normally be.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,218)

Reviewed June 25, 2009

My family and I stayed at Wild Dunes last summer and loved the resort. We were planning to return and even received a discount post card with discounted prices of up to 40% off for seven nights stay. The fine print says its a limited time offer which is valid through Sept. 3, 2009. When I called in June to book a stay, I was told the offer was no longer valid and had expired in May 2009. The new offer was 25% off vacation bookings. When I read the fine print to the phone attendant, she had no explaination. Even though there was availablility in the units we were interested in, 2 BR Villa, they would not honor the discounted rate from the post card I received. This is a very deceiving and disingenuous add. Though we love this resort, we will not return! We have stayed at other large resorts, simular to Wild Dunes, in the Charleston area and will return to one of those.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Okies151
Reviewed June 24, 2009

This is the second year our family have visited Wild Dunes and stayed at the Villages. The villa was beautiful, and had every amenity we needed. The beach was great and the staff extremely pleasant and helpful. There is great dining close by and Charleston is only 25 minutes away. We already have reservations for next year!

Reviewed June 17, 2009

We stayed in the new village building, in a 2 bedroom unit. It was amazing! The furnishings were stunning, the kitchen was 1st class with everything needed to cook a great meal. We have two young children, so the 2nd bedroom with 2 queen beds was perfect. The hotel-like service and room service was professional, quick, and very polite. The food at the lettered Olive downstairs was ok, food at the Boardwalk Inn was very good, but we like to go into Charleston for dinner almost every night anyway. That's the big draw for us, it's only a 25 minute drive. The beaches were great, golf was great, heated 25 meter pool was clean and a 2 minute walk. We will be back many times in the future, and may even buy here. Top notch resort, and proximity to Charleston makes it even better.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2009

My family of four stayed at the Boardwalk Inn and had a one Bedroom with two queen beds. We have two children that are 3 and 13 years old. I have to say that after traveling to locations such as Kawaii Hawaii, Hilton Head, Destin Fl, and many other places, we thought we had recieved good service. I am here to tell you this place offers the very best in service, convenience, seafood, ammenities, and helpful staff that we have seen in many years.
This was our first stay at Wild Dunes but it will absolutely not be our last. We are going back again this summer for another week. I wish i had more time for more details because it was an awesome experience. Please visit Wild Dunes and you have a home to go to anytime you need a great Vacation.
We will stay in a little larger villa or home just for extra space, but that's the only change we will make.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2009

This is the resort that you want! Everything about Wild Dunes - the grounds, the villa, the beach, the golf course - is first rate. We traveled with 2 sons, ages 21 and 19. The beach is lovely & wide, the greens are fantastic (as are the carts equipped with gps and "distance to hole & time of play" displays), the staff is exceptionally cordial and helpful. We looked online and then called - found out that there were upgrades available on the phone that we couldn't see online. Worth the call! They answered our e-mails quickly and called the day prior to arrival to see if we had additional questions. We stayed in Beach Club Villas, 3 bdrms, and it was lovely! Beautiful inside and roomy, updated, overlooking the pool and lovely palms, and just beyond was the beautiful beach! Rental umbrella/chair combos were pricey, but the sand beach is fabulous, especially away from the hotel. The hotel is lovely, but with families/kids, stay in a villa! Highly recommend! This is NOT Myrtle Beach - thank goodness!

Reviewed June 8, 2009

We just returned from a week long stay at the Wild Dunes Resort. We rented a Boardwalk home so we had immediate access to the pools and beach as well as the Grand Pavilion (burgers, drinks, entertainment, etc). I was originally concerned as I read some complaints on TA. After having a thorough discussion with the reservations department and a member of the management team, I decided the best decision was the house. They were very patient in answering my questions about the different accommodations they offer, their locations, amenities, pros and cons. I had some apprehensions originally due to the negative reviews but both people I spoke with helped me overcome them. Through a series of emails and conversations, I was impressed before I arrived at the communication level as well as their willingness.

When we arrived, everything was as promised. The location was exactly as described by the pictures I was emailed. The house was equipped with everything I was told. Everything was clean.

The beach is HUGE. It is perfect for children. The pools are directly in front of the beach so it is hugely convenient for my older daughter.

There are certainly things that I could mention that need improvement but that is to be expected everywhere. We were very happy overall and I really think their service was terrific. We are already planning next years trip.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isle of Palms
The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
#3 of 5 in Isle of Palms
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Palms Connector
Homewood Suites Charleston - Mt Pleasant
Homewood Suites Charleston - Mt ...
#11 of 25 in Mount Pleasant
Tides Folly Beach
Tides Folly Beach
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach
The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!