“New Years Eve”

Wild Dunes Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Decided to go to Wild Dunes resort for new years eve. At security checkpoint where we entered, the guard asked "what can I do for you?". We told him that we were going to the restaurant and he gave us a slip of paper. Then I had to ask directions.

Opinion: whats the point of the guard stop if its that easy to get in, personally he shouldn't assume I know where to go.

When we got to main building, we had no idea where to park. We pulled up to valet, but valet was nowhere to be seen (no signs). Wife went inside to get someone and a manager came out and informed, valet was free and that we could leave car.

Went to restaurant and our table was right next to the bar and there was a wedding party at it so throughout the night people were standing by our table talking. We did in the beginning to find another table but they escorted us out of the restaurant to a back room that was used as a banquet room and were currently using for overflow. It was gloomy and toooo quiet so we opted for the bar though it was noisy and distracting.

I did not realize it was a prefix menu at $75, however the food was great.
Service was great, a little stiff but attentive. The waiter did loosen up toward the end, hope it was not because it was tipping time.
The female manager that was taking care of us was extremely patient and very accommodating. Checked on us throughout night.

I personally did not want to sit in bar area and watch football and be distracted by a crowd that stood over my food. This was my biggest problem. I do wonder why they didn't suggest waiting for main dinning room. I didn't ask, because after moving twice, I just wanted to sit.

Overall:
Food was very good
Service was very good
Atmosphere stuffy for main dinning room and cold in bar area.

Room Tip: Did not stay, But by looking at the area, I am sure they are clean

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Just returned from a last-minute 5-night stay over New Years. Party of 4 (me, husband, 2 teens). Goal was to re-connect as a family as well as determine if Wild Dunes was a destination we would return to again. Mission accomplished.

PLACE: fabulous resort, great layout, lots of accommodation styles and sizes to choose from, very clean rooms, golf course, tennis courts, biking and running trails. The beach was beautiful, able to stroll and bike on it for what seemed like miles. Two things I had not expected: multitude of shells I discovered each day (I brought home tulips, olives, whelks, cockles, angel wings, sea urchins, sand dollars, red scallops) as well as how you can see the sunrise AND sunset on the beach (due to the way IOP is angled into Atlantic). Lots of planned activities provided (New Years Eve party, New Years run, exercise classes, etc) + those you could book on your own (excursions, spa, salon) + those that required no planning at all (biking, tennis, gym, running, basketball, strolling, pool). Was able to utilize Hudson’s Market for everything from morning coffee to evening sandwiches to Nyquil. We stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 bath resort view unit in the Village, would not hesitate to book there again.

PROXIMITY: Wild Dunes is a 20-minute drive to Charleston for touring, exploring, sightseeing (the Aquarium + Sea Turtle Hospital is worth the $$$), eating (don’t miss Magnolia, SNOB, Southend Brewery, Sugar Bakeshop), and other fun stuff (Black Fedora comedy mystery theater, City Market). You can bike from Wild Dunes towards Sullivan Island (don’t miss Sea Biscuit Café, Poe’s Tavern, Fort Moultrie). Drive into Mt. Pleasant. Explore the plantations. Buy a sweetgrass basket. Take in all the area offers.

PEOPLE: we were very impressed by everyone we met at the resort. Kind, warm, welcoming. Great advice on what to do and where to go. A big hello from cold NY to Emily (reservations), Sue (pre-arrival concierge), Jeannette and Shawn (Hudson’s Market), and Addie (spa).

Wild Dunes, kudos to a job well done. Thank you for a wonderful start to 2014. We will most definitely share our experience with others. We know we will see you again real soon.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank NYgal_TCI
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I would not recommend this hotel in my wildest of dreams. After an almost 13 hour trip from Poconos we booked 2 rooms at this hotel for a one night stay. Prior to arrival I called in to let them know that I would be at the hotel at about 10 pm and I asked for them to have an additional bed to one of the rooms and they stated that they would set-up an inflatable mattress. After checking in the air mattress was not set-up as they had already told me and my TV was not working. We had to personally set-up the air mattress and after 30 minutes (10:45) finally a staff member came to fix the TV. My two kids and my sister-in-law (which does not speak English) stayed in the other room. The next morning I find out that my son had called at 11:30 pm since there heater was not working. After being on hold for several minutes they said that they would have a staff member come in and have it fixed. No one bothered to show up for the entire night and the room temperature was below 65 degrees. The were sick the next day and all I was told is that they will check their records to see what happened. And by the way the air mattress was deflated in 30 minutes. When I returned from my trip and saw my bank statements I saw that they had charged $180.00 (which they said they would) plus an additional $90.00 that I was not told. They were rated 4 stars and I strongly disagree with this ratings. Very nice facilities but awful costumer service.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank torerique
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Boardwalk Inn 2 nights this Holiday, the second night being new years eve.....I found the Inn a bit old and would like to suggest an upgrade, especially the (1) elevator that is quite slow...The first morning I woke around 8 am to the knock of a doorman requesting that I keep my noise down....I was on the phone with my office...no TV was playing ....no radio was on....I just found it very unprofessional that this very young fellow would come knock on the door instead of calling first to see if the complain he told me was accurate or not...found him a bit rude also.....that day I played golf at the Links.(great course)...got back to my room at 2 pm...no room service...busy I understand...dinner with friends at there condo...back at 1 am....no room service...very very unhappy.....unfortunately this is the only place close if you have other people staying at Wild Dunes...will not be back...

1  Thank dwall1553
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear dwall1553,

I appreciate you taking the time to review your recent visit. Please accept my sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay. From your feedback, it seems there was one disappointment after another. The customer service you received is beyond inexcusable and far below what our team strives to provide each and every guest. I regret that our team’s shortcomings resulted in frustrations for you and your wife during your vacation. I appreciate your detailed feedback – as it calls attention to specific issues that must be addressed and helps us improve moving forward. Trust that I am sharing your review with our guest service and housekeeping department leaders to ensure this doesn’t happen in the future. I cannot take back your experience, but I hope you will give us a chance to make it up to you. Please email me directly at ffredericks@destinationhotels.com.

Regards,
Frank Fredericks
Managing Director

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed at Wild Dunes Resort for two nights following Christmas. What a fabulous resort! We stayed there several years ago and it was great then. But now, it is even better. As a matter of fact, I would rate this resort as one of my top three favorite resorts in the country. The Boardwalk Inn had spacious rooms, great food and a terrific team of staff members. The grounds are beautiful and there is plenty to do for every member of the family.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Marcus L
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We rented a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home on Twin Oaks Lane. We had nothing but positive experiences with staff - these are real professionals. Our rental home was lovely, with a great location. We had an exceptional meal at the Grille's lounge. The pool was heated, and the grounds are lushly landscaped.

I really enjoyed the convenience of Isle of Palms - close to Charleston without the bustle, with great shopping in Mount Pleasant.

I fully intend to return, only for longer!

Room Tip: Check the map available online so you can see where your accomodations are located. The photos and...

Dear PBandJ2003,

I’m very happy to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your family reunion at Wild Dunes Resort. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in this review. It’s wonderful to hear that your accommodations, meals and recreational activities at the Resort made for a wonderful family getaway. Whenever you are planning to return to Isle of Palms, please feel free to reach out to me directly at ffredericks@destinationhotels.com and I would be more than happy to assist with your bookings. Hope to see you soon!

Kind regards,
Frank Fredericks
Managing Director

Reviewed December 20, 2013

We amounted to 4 families renting a house on the beach. It was a little chilly over Thanksgiving but found the house perfect for our needs! There is nothing like an ocean view when it is cold and rainy outside. The house initially had a few issues when we arrived but the management team immediately fixed them and we were able to celebrate our family reunion. There is so much to do in the area and in the Wild Dunes Resort. We enjoyed their fitness and spa centers. I definitely recommend pampering yourself with a massage or a facial. If I lived in the area, I would go the spa center for massages.
All the while, we felt very safe as we went for walks and runs on the beach on roads. I would definitely go there again. I don't know what the area is like during the summer and warmer seasons but there is a lot to do in the "off season" as well. Thank you Wild Dunes!!

Room Tip: There are a variety of things to do indoors and outdoors. We were mindful to bring umbrellas and sm...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
#7 of 61 in Charleston
French Quarter Inn
French Quarter Inn
#1 of 61 in Charleston

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!