“Not an ocean front resort” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Wild Dunes Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Not an ocean front resort”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Not an ocean front resort, the ocean from my expensive ocean view room could only barely be seen between 2 buildings over 300 yards away and no balcony. Not a resort experience unless I golfed. Room is clean and large but don't go for an ocean experience.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank Davis32ky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

The Boardwalk Inn at Wild Dunes Resort is the ideal location to experience the beach in Charleston. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. The rooms was pristine. The boardwalk to the beach is incredibly nostalgic of yesteryear with all the modern amenities and conveniences. Fabulous stay with gorgeous views of the Lowcountry.

• Stayed April 2013
Cleveland, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed here with my wife last night on way to Myrtle Beach. Went to bed at 11 and at 2:30 I was awaken by 4 people that were beyond drunk. Called front desk and they said they were aware and had just "moved" them to their room. Said they would send security. Nothing for 45 minutes - got worse - banging furniture etc. called again - they said they would send someone - took over an hour to handle it - I expect much more from a family facility. Got up for walk this am and had beer cans all over outside. I will go to Kiawah next time and certainly wouldn't bring kids here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank ScottF51
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear ScottF51,

I apologize for your unpleasant experience with noise and behavior from some others staying at the resort. I have spoken with the Front Office team to ensure that these types of complaints are responded to as quickly as possible. Wild Dunes Resort welcomes all types of guests but we really pride ourselves on being a family friendly resort. Our staff strives to maintain a positive atmosphere for all of our guests and especially for families with children. Please trust that these situations are rare and taken seriously and the team will be auditing the protocol in which we use when responding to these calls to make sure it’s as quick and efficient as possible. Thank you for sharing your review as it allows us to improve in the future. If you would like to discuss the situation further, please contact me directly at ffredericks@wilddunes.com.

Regards,

Frank Fredericks
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband had a trip to Charleston and I joined him for a day. We decided to stay someplace different since we have stayed in Charleston proper before and loved that but wanted to see the beach area. We decided on Isle of Palms. I had never been there and had no expectations whatever. I was so surprised to see what a beautiful resort area this is. We stayed at Wild Dunes Resort in the Hotel in a room that faced the ocean and overlooks the pool and boardwalk leading to the beautiful beach. A wedding was taking place that weekend and we had a perfect view of the bride and wedding party. It was also the weekend before Easter and the Easter Bunny was walking around though he didn't have anyone much to interact with since it was still off season and very chilly for us this time of year. We loved the well appointed room at Wild Dunes that was very spacious and had a very nice walk out balcony and view. We liked the room so much we just ordered room service for dinner and breakfast but the balcony and view had a lot to do with it. The food was good and came quickly. We love sitting and watching the ocean and there was a big cruise ship out there at the very end of the boardwalk that was perfectly framed between the rows of townhomes that flank the boardwalk. They are painted in lively pastel colors and are very pretty. There is a large gazebo like structure at the end of the boardwalk that has a grill and gathering area. The resort has valet parking with nice attendants and a nice but small lobby with very nice personnel that helped us upgrade our room (at additional cost). Check in and out was flawless aside from waiting a bit for our room to be inspected upon our arrival. We enjoyed it and are very happy we found this little gem and beautiful area at the end of the island. Beautiful, we want to go back.

Room Tip: I'd definitely spring for a room facing the ocean and boardwalk. It's just such a pretty vi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AtlantaChelsea1
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Loved this hotel with its comfortable beds and beautiful pools and golf, but..... while the service in the dining room and patio was great, the Grand Pavillion needs work. At one point, my friends and I waited for mudslides for over 25 minutes, watching them sit and melt while the female bartender chatted up a male guest. The perils of hiring a young single woman to tend bar in a huge resort.... There were several other instances of this kind of service but I will suffice it to say that the management team needs to pay more careful attention to their staff. I would definitely go back, but would look at another route to cocktails on the pavillion.

Room Tip: ask for a beach view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mrsgros
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Spent 3 days after Easter. The service was wonderful, rooms well kept and the restaurant seemed much improved from our last visit two years ago. We didn't have an opportunity to use the amenities but was impressed by how much there was to do. Great swath of beach and again really wonderful service. Plan to head back in a couple of months.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JustUs03
Versailles, Kentucky, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

First of all we thought we were renting a condo and we ended up with one room, we only stayed here one night and left the following morning. We had reserved three nights on Travelocity and I regret ever stepping foot in this establishment.
The location is awful. The concierge was very rude to my family and I. We felt trapped here, there was nothing to do and the food prices in the hotel were unreasonable, who pays 4$ for 6 oz of Orange juice. The room service food was good but the portions were small and outrageously priced.
The actual building is nice and the pools are also nice, but the people here were completely snobby. I realize the hotel has no control over their guests but I wan you that this is a place where you do not want to go if you can't stand snobby people. The evening we checked in I went to the beach and someone asked me to help them set up a beach chair, and I did, after i was done they said thank you and tried to tip me, of course I was offended by this persons actions. The following morning, when I was at the gym people were just eyeing me down and I heard an extremely ignorant comment from one of the guests to the other, her words were "Why are the employees allowed to use the same gym as us?". The only thing that could of led the lady to believe I was employee would have been my skin color. I did not have a t-shirt or a uniform with the hotel logo on. Then later that day my sister and I had gone down to the beach for a walk on our way back to our room we were eyed down the whole time. We checked out later that day. I had never felt such a genuine racism towards me, I'd been called names and even told to leave, but I had never been discriminated like I was at this hotel.
Another thing is that it is a rip off over all, Most hotels which are fairly priced offer complimentary breakfast this establishment at these ridiculous prices does not even do that. So I warn you not to come to wild dunes resort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank Servayvay123
Dear Servayvay123,

I appreciate that you took the time to share your review of Wild Dunes Resort. I would first like to apologize that the accommodation that you stayed in was not what you expected. We do our best to make sure that there are plenty of photos and accurate descriptions available on our website especially and other’s websites so that our guests have a clear understanding of the accommodations that they are reserving. Unfortunately, we cannot control websites outside of our own and some times those sites may reference a general “room type” versus a specific unit. I have spoken with our team , and we will audit the listings and images to make any necessary updates to make this more clear. I am sorry that you were not pleased with the location of the resort and our activity offerings did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide a diverse range of activities that would appeal to a variety of guests and promote these activities through our activity planner located on our website as well as through our pre-arrival concierge who contacts each guest prior to arrival to customize their stay. I am terribly sorry to hear that you had some unpleasant experiences with others staying on the Resort. Diversity is a guiding principle of Wild Dunes Resort and we take pride in creating and maintaining such a diverse operation. I truly apologize for your experience as this is absolutely not the impression that we like to leave our guests. I invite you to reach out to me directly at ffredericks@wilddunes.com if you would like to discuss the situation further. Thank you again for sharing your review as it gives us opportunity to improve in the future.

Regards,

Harbourview Inn
Harbourview Inn
#6 of 60 in Charleston
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,931 reviews

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!