“Consistently Exellent”

Wild Dunes Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Spent 3 days after Easter. The service was wonderful, rooms well kept and the restaurant seemed much improved from our last visit two years ago. We didn't have an opportunity to use the amenities but was impressed by how much there was to do. Great swath of beach and again really wonderful service. Plan to head back in a couple of months.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JustUs03
There are newer reviews for Wild Dunes Resort

Reviewed April 7, 2013

First of all we thought we were renting a condo and we ended up with one room, we only stayed here one night and left the following morning. We had reserved three nights on Travelocity and I regret ever stepping foot in this establishment.
The location is awful. The concierge was very rude to my family and I. We felt trapped here, there was nothing to do and the food prices in the hotel were unreasonable, who pays 4$ for 6 oz of Orange juice. The room service food was good but the portions were small and outrageously priced.
The actual building is nice and the pools are also nice, but the people here were completely snobby. I realize the hotel has no control over their guests but I wan you that this is a place where you do not want to go if you can't stand snobby people. The evening we checked in I went to the beach and someone asked me to help them set up a beach chair, and I did, after i was done they said thank you and tried to tip me, of course I was offended by this persons actions. The following morning, when I was at the gym people were just eyeing me down and I heard an extremely ignorant comment from one of the guests to the other, her words were "Why are the employees allowed to use the same gym as us?". The only thing that could of led the lady to believe I was employee would have been my skin color. I did not have a t-shirt or a uniform with the hotel logo on. Then later that day my sister and I had gone down to the beach for a walk on our way back to our room we were eyed down the whole time. We checked out later that day. I had never felt such a genuine racism towards me, I'd been called names and even told to leave, but I had never been discriminated like I was at this hotel.
Another thing is that it is a rip off over all, Most hotels which are fairly priced offer complimentary breakfast this establishment at these ridiculous prices does not even do that. So I warn you not to come to wild dunes resort.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
16  Thank Servayvay123
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Servayvay123,

I appreciate that you took the time to share your review of Wild Dunes Resort. I would first like to apologize that the accommodation that you stayed in was not what you expected. We do our best to make sure that there are plenty of photos and accurate descriptions available on our website especially and other’s websites so that our guests have a clear understanding of the accommodations that they are reserving. Unfortunately, we cannot control websites outside of our own and some times those sites may reference a general “room type” versus a specific unit. I have spoken with our team , and we will audit the listings and images to make any necessary updates to make this more clear. I am sorry that you were not pleased with the location of the resort and our activity offerings did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide a diverse range of activities that would appeal to a variety of guests and promote these activities through our activity planner located on our website as well as through our pre-arrival concierge who contacts each guest prior to arrival to customize their stay. I am terribly sorry to hear that you had some unpleasant experiences with others staying on the Resort. Diversity is a guiding principle of Wild Dunes Resort and we take pride in creating and maintaining such a diverse operation. I truly apologize for your experience as this is absolutely not the impression that we like to leave our guests. I invite you to reach out to me directly at ffredericks@wilddunes.com if you would like to discuss the situation further. Thank you again for sharing your review as it gives us opportunity to improve in the future.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

A very pleasant stay at the Boardwalk Inn. We needed to get away and recharge our personal batteries and had a great time at the resort despite the weather not cooperating at all. The staff was extremely helpful which included the valet, front desk and the restaurant employees. Did not have time to enjoy any of the amenities but the restaurant in the Boardwalk Inn was excellent. I am looking forward to our next stay, hopefully with better weather and more time to enjoy all the Dunes has to offer.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank woodrow_11
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We needed to get out of the cold, so booked 5 nights at Wild Dunes over the Easter weekend. We booked a 2BR Village condo - and wow, were we impressed. It was huge, with a nice balcony (non ocean-view, though if you peeked around the corner, you could see some blue) and a kitchen that's better equipped than our own house! The kids (5 & 2) loved having their own bedroom (I thought I had booked one with two beds, but they were accommodating in bringing up a pack-n-play for our toddler). It was such a treat to have a full kitchen as well as daily housekeeping. We could eat out when we wanted and eat in when we wanted. The resort was lovely - the kids liked being close to the beach and pool and the bike rental place was right across the street, too. It's handy to have a market nearby, but it would have been nice if they had a bit more selection of fresh fruits and vegetables.
The Sea Island Grill looked a bit fancy, but took great care of our kids and we had a nice dinner. Breakfast at The Lettered Olive was for the Easter Bunny brunch - it was fine, nothing special - except the kids loved the Easter Bunny.
Overall, it was just what we were hoping for a family getaway - somewhere that makes it easy to be a family with small kids, and Wild Dunes did just that!

Room Tip: Because they offer so many different types of accommodations, be very clear about what you're bo...
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I took a 4 day weekend at Wild Dunes Resort and I found it to be a relaxing experience. From check in to check out the resort staff was very cordial and helpful. I had a great room in the Village, I found the accommodations well appointed and kept. I included 2 rounds of golf, 1 at each course and if you're a golfer you will love the courses and staff. I was alone on this trip and both days I got paired up with local members who treated me as if I had been golfing with them forever. I also got a massage one day and Sharon was excellent, would certainly do that again. It was a short walk to the beach and there are miles of walking, jogging, cycling trails to just wander and relax. The restaurant staff and food were awesome and prices were not what you would expect from a resort. Hudson's market is great with food, beverages and souveniers at very reasonable prices.
I would highly reccommend a trip to Wild Dunes, you will enjoy your experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 174stevef174
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear 174stevef174,

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your getaway to Wild Dunes Resort. Our staff takes pride in delivering great customer service experiences and it’s always nice to hear such positive feedback from a guest. I am glad that you had the opportunity to play (and hopefully enjoy the picturesque views!) on both of our Links and Harbor golf courses and found the staff and the Wild Dunes Golf Members to be friendly and welcoming. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed many of our dining options offered at the resort. Thank you for your kind review and sharing your experiences from your stay. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the resort in the future!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We've rented a house for 4 days in Pelican Bay. Overall we've been very lucky with the weather - despite it being windy, we've had good sunshine throughout. The resort has oodles of space, a great network of paths for cycling and walking/jogging/running. You can rent bicycles, play tennis and golf. The beach stretches for miles (well, it feels that way) and you can spend loads of time just walking on it, playing in the waves (our boys loved it), building sand castles, collecting shells. Each of the developments appear to have their own pool, so you can swim even when it's windy on the beach. There are flocks of pelicans and what appear to be plovers and cormorants. The watery inlets that you pass have terrapins in them, ducks and (apparently) alligators too. We haven't seen one at close quarters, but that doesn't mean the signs are there in vain.
Within Wild Dunes you'll find a few restaurants and take away joints (expensive), so you can eat 'locally' or drive out into Mount Pleasant in a jiffy. Charleston is about 35-40 minutes away, so within easy striking distance for a late afternoon jaunt. Wild Dunes feels really safe, secluded and cared for.

1  Thank Flylittlebird
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Flylittlebird,

I am very happy to hear that you had nice weather and were able to take advantage and enjoy a lot of the amenities offered here at Wild Dunes Resort during your stay. I’m glad that your boys enjoyed the ocean and you explored our spacious two and a half mile beach. Our team takes pride in the upkeep of the resort so it is wonderful to hear when guests take notice and appreciate our staff’s hard work. We enjoy being a part of the world class city and love that beautiful downtown Charleston is just a short drive away! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and review of your stay at Wild Dunes Resort. We hope to welcome you back to the resort on your next trip to Charleston!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

You can have a wildly different experience, depending on where you stay. Wild Dunes reservations acts as a rental office for a lot of private owners. If you know their "code" (which they've recently changed slightly) and can book accordingly, you'll have a 5 star experience. But I learned this the hard way. Units are rated as "standard," "moderate," or "deluxe." One might assume, as I did, and very incorrectly, that a standard unit simply lacked a lot of extras and was, perhaps, a little smaller than the others. Having stayed here so many times, I was stunned to learn that what "standard" meant is old, perhaps dirty--not because it hasn't been cleaned, but because the dirt is so ground in as to be impossible to remove--outdated, cheaply built, and cheaply appointed. I assumed renting anywhere in WD was assurance of fine accommodations. WRONG! What they call "standard" are, in my opinion, SUB-standard, at best. My feet literally stuck to the floor and made little clicking noises whenever I lifted them up. My first encounter with this was when I had an infant. Let me tell you, that was a long week, not being able to put my son down bc the floors were too nasty to let him crawl around. And I am not one of those boil-everything-mothers. I believe a good helping of nice clean dirt never hurt anyone--but that place was disgusting.

We are now here again. We come every year for the Cooper River Bridge Run (same reason we were here when I first got my "standard" education). As always, I waited pretty late to get our reservations, but I have never had a problem with availability. This year, however, there were a couple of other things going on at the same time, and the very last unit we could get was a standard one bedroom (or the Inn, which I am sure is lovely, but we need a kitchen). With the hopes of someone canceling so we could upgrade, I went with it. No luck on upgrading, so here we are. And, in all honesty, the unit is not THAT bad. Sure, it appears to have been built with the cheapest possible options back in 1985 (can you say oak and formica?), but it was at least clean. The carpet doesn't stick to your feet, anyway. My big beef here is it is clearly stated on the description in a couple of places that it has a king bed and a fold out couch. The fold out is here, but there were no sheets for it. We tried calling housekeeping, guest services, the front desk and anyone else we could think of, each time getting the metallic recording that the number had been disconnected. My husband drove to the Inn to get sheets from housekeeping and was told they would deliver them. My 4 year old, in the meantime, was actually begging to go to bed (for once). I rigged the blanket so that it was under and over him and went to sleep while my husband sat up waiting for the sheets. All this started at 8. I went to bed at 10. Not sure what time my husband came to bed, but he gave up waiting. Good thing, bc it is 4 the next afternoon, and STILL no sheets. At 3 am my son came and crawled in bed with me...which leads me to my other complaint. There is NO KING SIZED BED IN THIS UNIT. If this bed is a queen, it is the least roomy queen I've ever seen. There went my sleep. Not exactly a restful vacation, so far.

We have stayed here many, many times, and I would usually rate the accommodations as many stars as they'll give me. I knew not to expect much this time, when all I could book was a standard room. But the bed is a BUMMER. Hopefully the sheets will be remedied today.

There are only 2 knives in the kitchen, both of them what I call tomato knives--about a 4" serrated blade--both flimsy and dull. We encounter cheap, dull knives a lot renting, and that always baffles me. If the fear is that people will steal them, then their frugality is misplaced. The liability of someone hurting themselves with a dull knife surely outweigh any savings on the junk. And, in any case, you don't have to spend a fortune for a knife that will cut. Thank goodness I didn't get a watermelon, as I usually do. That would have been no fun to cut with these pathetic Dollar General knives.

The resort, itself, is wonderful. It is a safe, self-contained, beautiful place. There are well-maintained biking/running paths meandering all around, tennis, golf, fabulous pools, alligators and turtles. I went ahead and booked this standard room bc, as long as you book through WD, you have access to the fantastic pool at the Grand Pavilion, and the beach is amazing, and we are, at least, ocean-front in this unit (be careful with that, when booking, as well--you can be a bit of a haul to the ocean here, but everything IS walkable, depending on your willingness to walk). I thought that, as usual, we would spend very little time in the room, anyway. Of course, the weather has turned, it is blowing like stink and in the 50s, with rain fc for the next 2 days. I will just look across the dunes to the ocean, rather than at the old, chipped formica and painted-over oak cabinets. This is Mariners Walk 12B (units in the same building can vary greatly, depending on what the owners have done with it). I would say, if it is your last option to stay here, then go for it. Otherwise, go for a better unit. I don't know if I have rented any of the "Moderate" units, but every other place I've ever rented here (usually at least 1, sometimes 2 or 3 times a year for the last 13 years) has been fabulous. So, if you are confused by the contradictory reviews, now you know the problem.

Room Tip: Make sure to rent a DELUXE or at the very least a MODERATE unit. Standard units are far inferior to...
4  Thank joyflyer

Dear Joyflyer,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your stay at Wild Dunes Resort. Our property management rating system ranks the criteria by quality level and rates accordingly, and I have shared your feedback with our Property Management team to ensure we’re being as forthcoming in the description of that particular accommodation and determine what improvement opportunities exist for the accommodation based on your helpful feedback. I apologize that the Standard unit you stayed in did not meet your expectations. The specifics you mentioned do not meet ours either and we have addressed those with our housekeeping team to ensure that this doesn’t happen in the future as our goal is to first and foremost deliver exceptional experiences for our guests. I am pleased to hear that you have been a loyal guest for 13 years and have a love for the resort. We want every guest to have the experience that they desire when they chose to stay at the resort, but we especially want our loyal return guests to have experiences that live up to their expectations. I invite you to contact me directly with any questions or concerns regarding your previous stay at Wild Dunes Resort at ffredericks@wilddunes.com. We do appreciate you patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isle of Palms
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Palms Connector
French Quarter Inn
French Quarter Inn
#2 of 61 in Charleston

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!