“Nothing close to what I expected....”
Review of Wild Dunes Resort

Wild Dunes Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Nothing close to what I expected....”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

After reading the many reviews on the hotel on this site, I was very excited for my birthday trip there. Once I got there, that chanced rather quickly. The room I was booked in, 212B, had a ½ eaten piece of pie that was left in the fridge. I went down to registration and Mr. Hagwood (I think his first name was Jason) was very helpful and was able to switch me to room 218B and apologized for the error. No discount was offered. Room 218B had a bigger kitchen, which I did not use and had a better balcony view. The pillows were terrible and woke up with a headache twice out of the 3 night I slept there. The bathroom was even worse! Both electrical sockets looked like they were from the 1950’s and hadn’t ever been cleaned. Thankfully I did not need to plug anything into those. Was worried I would burn the whole building down if I plugged anything into them. The caulking from one of the sinks and some of the bath tub was missing, sheet rock above the bath was peeling up the walls and a tile was moved out of place in the shower and it looked like there could have been mold behind that. Not only that, but on my first day there, no maid service came into the room to make the bed. I brought this to the attention to the person at check out, showed him the photos, he apologized & took notes, but that was it. I was very surprised and shocked that a hotel with that reputation had such an inferior room and unwilling to try to correct the situation. Now I know that I will not be going back to that hotel. The valet staff was awesome! Always very helpful and gave some good recommendations on places to eat and also how to get over to see Patriots Point and the H.L. Hunley Sub. Will post photos soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank uoducks1999
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Uoducks1999,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and review. I apologize that your stay at Wild Dunes Resort for your birthday was not as you expected. I have spoken with Housekeeping management about the pie left in the refrigerator as well as the lack of cleaning service on your first night. They have they have informed me that both of these were an oversight in the inspection process for your particular guest room which is currently being addressed, and the inspection staff is currently undergoing coaching to help ensure that this does not happen in the future. I am pleased to hear that Mr. Jason Hagwood was able to accommodate you in an upgraded room to compensate for the inspection oversight. I would like to thank you for bringing the issues with the electrical socket, caulking, and tile in the bathroom to our attention. Our team takes upkeep and maintenance of our resort accommodations very seriously and will be looking into this particular unit for any needed enhancements to ensure it is up to Wild Dunes standards. We would like to welcome you back to Wild Dunes Resort on your next trip to Charleston. I invite you to contact me directly at ffredericks@wilddunes.com, and I will personally make arrangements for you.

Regards,
Frank Fredericks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Very impressive looking upon arrival. The check in was very upsetting as were told that they were overbooked and that our prepaid room had been given to someone else. Upon my stern objection the young lady suddenly found an available room. The staff could use some training on making the guest feel more welcome. Afterall it should be an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Glazier01
Glazier01,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and review. I apologize about the concern of availability of your prepaid room. With such high demand, the Boardwalk Inn does sell out and perhaps oversells some nights, but we try to keep those instances few and far between. We do our best to make sure each guest stays in and enjoys the accommodation that they booked and paid for. I apologize for the miscommunication in the availability of your accommodation upon arrival or inconvenience experienced at the front desk as a result. We would love to welcome you back to Wild Dunes Resort in the future. I invite you to contact me directly at ffredericks@wilddunes.com and I will personally assist in the arrangements.

Regards,
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We joined some friends here for the weekend. It was a bit hard to find in the dark and rain but once we got there, it was well worth the effort. The suites were well furnished and very tasteful. The views of the area were very nice. Service was great. You can walk to the ocean. The adjacent hotel had a great restaurant where we had breakfast - expensive but very nice. Really a lovely getaway. Everything about it was great!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bensus
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Susie C,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your weekend at Wild Dunes Resort. Our team takes pride in the appearance of the Resort and works hard to make sure that both the resort and natural beauty of Isle of Palms are maintained. We enjoy the walk to the ocean and the views as much as you do! Our team is currently working on increased signage and entrance lighting to help with visibility in the evenings and in rainy conditions. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and reviews. We hope to welcome you back in the future!

Warm regards,
Aiken SC
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We spent two nights at Wild Dunes resort with friends flying into Charleston from Denver. The place was immaculate, the two bedroom was extremely spacious. The included breakfast was well worth the extra $15 pp. The Boardwalk area is quite beautiful. would not hesitate to go back,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bja1945
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Check in, valet, maid service were all exceptional. The beauty and cleanliness of the resort is magnificent. Only concern we had with our stay was the under staffing at the lobby bar. We went twice to get drinks and both time we were waiting for 20 minutes. The bartender was struggling to handle a group of conventioners. When I asked for a Michelob, I was given a Michelob Ultra. I wanted something that I could taste, not some thinned out, tasteless beer. He only had the Ultra. Come on! At least stock your bar! Have 2 bartender when you have evening convention events. Just because there are 2 bars on grounds doesn't mean that I have to go to the other to get my order. I didn't want to go into a night club for drinks, just a nice quiet bar, that is stocked, with two bartenders when business dictates.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank 4joeebear
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I love this place! We go several times a year and are never disapointed. You never have to leave the resort if you don't want to. It is great for married couples and families. You can't go wrong, no matter where you stay here. The Villages are our favorite..

• Stayed June 2012
ceredo, wv
Reviewed February 7, 2013

we vacation here often and have for over 15 years. we love going in october since the weather is still nice and the crowds are gone. my kids have the beaches to themselves, and there is usually another family around for them to plat with. everything you need is in the resort. the bike station is awesome and very helpful. nice new playgrounds were added last time we were there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Tides Folly Beach
Tides Folly Beach
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Palms Connector
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Pa...
#10 of 25 in Mount Pleasant
French Quarter Inn
French Quarter Inn
#2 of 61 in Charleston

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!