“nice oceanfront property”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“nice oceanfront property”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Our room was very spacious and clean. Pillows are hard and lumpy...bring your own. Great cycling area. We didn't try the restaurant because we love dining in downtown Charleston. Resort offers some great deals and we try to take advantage of them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Our stay was pleasantly nice. We booked the 3 bedroom suite in The Villages and traveled with 2 other couples. We loved how secluded the resort felt and how close by shops were also. We traveled for my husband's birthday and we had checked the weather earlier that week and realized it would be in the 70's in January!

So we looked online and saw that Wild Dunes was having a 25% off winter special. We invited 2 other couples and took advantage of the special and the weather. Everyone was highly pleased with the resort, the rooms, the comfort of the bed, the beauty of the bathroom, full kitchen, etc. Everyone said I did a great job picking the resort. We all plan to make this a more frequent trip throughout the year.

Wild Dunes really far exceeded my expectations. We plan to come back in the summer when it will be warmer to swim in the ocean. We also want to come back and experience the bike rides, tennis, and golf at the resort. Everyone was extremely pleased w/Wild Dunes and how friendly the people of Charleston are.

Room Tip: I forgot my toothbrush but luckily there was a Target less than 5 miles from the resort. That's...
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Great Resort with beautiful grounds and a welcoming staff. I have stayed there twice - once in a condo and the other in the Boardwalk Hotel. Beautiful Island! We received an excellent restaurant recommendation for an establishment in downtown Charleston.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Destin, Florida, United States
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I tried to book a room online 5 days ago. The online booking service was not functioning properly and would not allow me to process my stay. I called the reservations number immediately and the phone was answered by a young lady that promptly told me " I don't know how to do reservations and everyone has left for the evening". I then sent an email that evening using the contact form provided on their website. I explained the dates I was looking to stay and provided my number to reach me. My call was never returned.
Today I then try to book online and of course, the online booking system doesn't work. I then called the reservations number again and it went to the voice mail of a concierge. I can't believe that such a large resort would have such an unprofessional management service running the reservations. I can only imagine how poor the housekeeping and maintenance departments are as reservations is the easy part. Best of luck, you will never get my business.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank JoshM677
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
I am sorry that you had such trouble trying to book an accommodation. I had the team review our website to ensure that the booking process has not experienced issues. Sometimes, when the user puts in desired stay dates and accommodations, if we do not have availability the system will return a message to retry dates. That may have happened in this case. I do know that our Reservations team received your email inquiry and tried the number you left, but did not receive an answer so they left a voice mail. It sounds like it was not received. But from your message below you tried even once more, and when you finally did make contact, the person on the other end did not know how to assist and did not offer to forward you to someone who could. I’ve spoken with the manager who handles the phones in the evening to ensure that they know the correct department to forward these types of calls. We would love to welcome you to Wild Dunes Resort on your next trip to the Charleston area. If you would like, please email me directly at ffredericks@wilddunes.com and I will personally make the arrangements for you.
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Upon check-in our room was beautiful then after going to restroom there were several hundred flying gnats. We then called the front desk requesting bug spray instead they moved us to another room. Which was very nice and clean. The maid(?) made a comment that this was the second person to request to move because of bugs. Then our question to them was why rent the same room out until the problem is taken care of? NYE dinner reservations in the Sea Island Grill for 8 pm. Cold appetizers @9pm then cold dinner @10:30. Left without any food @11pm. Bringing in the New Year with Popcorn for dinner @ midnight. Charged for our drinks/appetizers Not a good visit to say in the least. I would not recommend this establishment to anyone in the future.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Dkharrell
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your post. After investigating this situation, I have determined that the gnat situation that day was unfortunately caused by a bit of soda that spilled at the end of the hall in the drink machine area that undetected for a few hours and affected the guests in a few rooms on that end of the hall. Once our team found the cause, we quickly cleaned it, and tried to move as many affected guests as possible. There is no excuse for your experience at the Sea Island Grill. I have been in contact with our Restaurant Manager to understand what happened, take steps to make sure that it does not happen again to future guests, and that we have taken all appropriate measures to remedy the situation as best we can at this point. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience. Please contact me at ffredericks@wilddunes.com.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2013

A large resort with everything you need. Bed was amazingly comfortable. We were there out of season and it was quiet and easy. Be prepared to pay for everything (and at quite a price). For a romantic 24 hours away, it was great.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about the service here. They were so friendly and accomodating the entire time. I am allergic to goose down so they sent people up right away to replace all the down from the bed. The check in staff was friendly and the valet provided some excellent restaraunt local tips.
We stayed in the Ocean View King room on the fifth floor for two nights. The room was very pretty and the bed was comfortable. The desk and sofa area is nice for relaxing. The TV reception was not great and the in room rental movies were insanely expensive. Seventeen plus dollars for some pretty old stuff seemed rather steep. For such a nice room the bathtub was tiny, the water pressure was very low, and the shower head was really old. The ocean view is really a small strip of ocean on the horizon and a ton of houses in between.

Our two biggest complaints were the bathroom (water closet) and the hallway noise.

The toilet is in a small room off the bathroom. The light inside is very dim and comes on along with the main bathroom light. There is no exhaust fan of any kind and the bathroom door is practically see through and just wooden slats. Lets face it, we all have to answer the call of nature every now and again. For a such a lovely room the lack of privacy there made things much less than pleasant.

The room door has a heavy spring and slams shut very hard. The doors seem to have no insulation at all and constant slams were audible at all hours. Forget sleeping in because the noise of the cleaning crews and people checking out is tremendous. Even normal conversations in the hallway can be heard as though the parties were standing in our room.

One can only assume the sound transmits both ways if you understand ;) .So between that and the toilet issue, if you are looking for romance this place ain't it. Also the balconies might as well be shared with the adjacent room but for a metal rail. If you are looking for family vacation with outstanding service you will be pleased..

Room Tip: The higher ocean view prices are not really worth it because the view is minimal and the balconies l...
3 Thank Candice R
#2 of 61 in Charleston
Market Pavilion Hotel
Market Pavilion Hotel
#9 of 61 in Charleston

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!