“A very average OVERPRICED Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Palms Oceanfront Hotel

The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
Greenville, South Carolina
“A very average OVERPRICED Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

Not much to say about this hotel. Yes it is on the Beach, a short walk to the Ocean but that is about the best I can say. For the price ( $349 for a Room with a King Bed and Ocean View with Tax and Parking is was $400 for one night) is was not worth it. Everything about this hotel was in need of a face lift. The bathroom paint was stained and in need of a paint job. It wasn't very clean or fresh looking. The patio furniture on the balcony was old and worn. The Linens too were on the old side, small very thin towels in the bathroom that were once white but now sort of gray. A small breakfast area serving the very basic complimentary breakfast but at $400/night not really complimentary is it. It has a small rooftop pool that was ok, again nothing special. More like what you would get at a less expensive Motel Chain.
The Staff at check in was very friendly but I would expect that. Not that is was a big deal but just know that Parking is a block away. I just feel that these type of mid range hotels need to be priced accordingly. There web site makes the Hotel appear to be much more elegant and nicer then it is. If it was no more than $150 a night I'd say it was worth it for the location. I would never stay here again for what we paid.

PS by accident this review also got posted under my old Mangia Bene TA account which I no longer use so I reposted my review here.

Room Tip: From what we saw the inside rooms are very small and very dark. Unless you have an ocean front room...
2 Thank borninthebronx54
Matthew C, General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Thank you again for your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

2 Thank Mangebiene
Thank you for taking an opportunity to share your feedback with us. I am glad to here that you enjoyed your stay and had positive experiences with the staff. We are aware of the work needed at the hotel and have begun work in common areas and other areas of the hotel to include our parking garage, and swimming pool. In February, management presented the ownership a property improvement plan to renovate the entire hotel, including guest rooms. As we finalize and wrap up other common area items, we hope to get into the rooms by next season.

Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you in the near future!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

This is my second stay here, the staff is friendly and the rooms were nice and clean. Upon our arrival however, our room wasn't ready even though it was after check-in time. We checked in and left our cell phone number being assured they would call us within the hour when our room was ready. Long story short, sometime after 7pm we finally returned to the hotel and were given our key, no one had touched base with us prior to this to let us know our room was ready, nor was the front desk apologetic for forgetting to notify us that we could check in. A nice place but a big strike against them in my book.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the opportunity to provide your feedback. I appreciate your feedback and apologize for the inconveniences experienced upon your arrival at the hotel. I am glad to hear all of the other wonderful things experienced while here at the hotel and appreciate you notating them as well.

Over the course of the past two weeks, the hotel has experienced many challenges with staffing in our housekeeping department that we have worked diligently to ensure minimal to no impact on our guests. In this instance, we clearly fell short of our efforts and commitment to you, our guest. I do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and do hope you will consider us for future visits to the area.
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a week to stay on the beach but not in an extremely crowded and overpriced area of folly beach. The hotel is older and it shows it but don't let that discourage you. We had a wonderful time and there are some great nighttime restaurants and rooftop bars next to it. The beach is also right there and downtown Charleston is only 15 minutes away.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew C, General Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful feedback! I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to the Isle of Palms.
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

Booked a double room back in Dec for Jun. Arrived about 6 PM, was told room was not ready. No problem, after a 9 1/2 hour drive, we went to eat, came back an hour later, room still not ready. Took a stroll on the beach, came back 45 minutes later. Was told room still not ready, no reason given for room not ready. Check in time was after 4, check out time 11 AM. You would figure they could get the room ready in 6 hours. I asked to speak to a Manager, front desk lady went to find one, said the Manger would be right there. 30 minutes later, no manger. Decided to chance a stroll to another hotel and was lucky to get a room for the nights we needed.
Sorry excuse for a way to run a hotel. Book the room six months in advance, travel over 9 hours to get there and to be treated like this. Never will we schedule a stay there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Bob S

Over the course of the past two weeks, the hotel has experienced many challenges with staffing in our housekeeping department that we have worked diligently to ensure minimal to no impact on our guests. This has even resulted in me personally cleaning rooms on some occasions. In this instance, we clearly fell short of our efforts and commitment to you, our guest. I do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and do hope you will consider us for future visits to the area.

Travelers are raving about these Isle of Palms hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

Too many complaining on here about this place. We stayed there recently in an interior room for two nights for about $300 total. It's ocean front! If you're looking to complain, you'll find stuff. We just needed a place to sleep that was that area. It fit the bill just fine. The safe didn't work, big deal. There was an foul smell under the place, yeah well I smelled the same thing on a very ritzy Wild Dunes Golf course. When you're near all that swamp, it gets that way some times. The cleaning staff could be more enthusiastic, but I'll bet $10 would go a long way with them and get you some special treatment.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the opportunity to provide your feedback to us! I greatly appreciate it and hope you will consider us on your next visit to the Isle of Palms.
Gulfport, Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

When we showed up at around 6pm we were told our room wasn't ready yet. This was a bit concerning, since check-in was supposed to be around 4. The desk personnel seemed very rushed. As we waited for our room I noticed other desk staff were assisting the cleaning staff with the rooms. Once we got in the room it wasn't bad. It was definately dated and worn and needed to updating. The cleaning staff also need remedial training. They had problems with getting the hair out, but generally speaking they did a decent job of cleaning the room. Once on our one week visit, they placed the towels and soaps on the bed, instead of in the bath room where they belonged. We used the microwave once and a little food spilled over. I left the microwave door open hopeing they would get the hint that it needed cleaning, but they didn't. With all of this I had to remind myself that this hotel was not built and is not intended to be a luxury resort (I watched it being built from the restuarant next door approx 14 years ago). The resturant does have live music, so if that is a concern do not get a balcony without a view, since they face the music. Our room had an ocean front view and we could barely hear the music. The music is required by city ordinence to shut down at 10 pm during the week and 11 (I think) on Friday and Saturday. This is a good hotel for visiting the beach and Charleston. You are literally on the beach and a short 15-20 minute drive to downtown Charelston. The Plantations are within an easy drive. The bed was comfortable and room quiet enough.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie M
Thank you for taking the opportunity to provide your feedback. As always we appreciate guests taking the time to write reviews for our hotel informing us of their stay. I greatly appreciate the feedback and have forwarded along to my Housekeeping Manager. Over the course of the past week to two weeks, we have made many changes to our housekeeping department and apologize for the impact you incurred as a result. Thank you again for taking an opportunity to provide a review. I do hope you will consider us for future visits to the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isle of Palms
The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Tides Folly Beach
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,273 reviews

Been to The Palms Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!