“Not Impressed”

The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

The 'booking' portion of the trip was very smooth and our room was as promised. However, the drain in the bathtub was clogged, the blow dryer only worked in 2 minute increments (which is a pain), anytime the staff rolled one of their carts past our room it echoed (at 7 am), and we found a roach crawling across the tv stand the next morning. Not a room worth $167. Complete waste of money.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

I appreciate this guest providing feedback regarding their stay. I do apologize for the inconveniences this guest experienced. I do want to clarify the comment about the staff rolling their carts at 7am. The housekeeping staff doesn't start until 9am, so what this guest must have heard was other guests rolling luggage carts. Also, I am not sure if they reported any of the things mentioned in this review, but we ask that anytime something isn't working properly in the room, please give us an opportunity to fix it. I want to apologize again and thank this guest for their time.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

The front desk staff was great! That, the ocean views (and sounds!) and downtown IOP location make this a worthwhile last minute get-away place. Our room was a bit dusty, but the bedding was very clean; it's possible it just hadn't been occupied recently. (The chandelier had layers of dust from non-cleaning over time - a simple housekeeping checklist fix for guest comfort that I shared with the hotel - just sharing here as fyi for allergy sufferers). It would be a nice touch if comforters shown in website pictures were in the room; at least in winter season. However, the heater fixed that problem quickly :) All was good for a couple nights stay; thanks to the staff and oceanfront, "walking distance" location to many great little spots!!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Wow!!! Me and MY family really enjoyed this hotel. We check in on Christmas and with a warm welcoming was a Young lady named Kia'. She helped us find somewhere to go and eat, and Help us find the Christmas lighting. She was a big help, great customer service. The room we had was very nice and clean, the view of the ocean is breath taking. The rate was a good deal. Breakfast was ok. We will come back to this hotel again. Are first time here, and the rooms and staff was great.

Room Tip: Ocean Views are great choice
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

The staff at The Palms would like to wholeheartedly thank this guest for taking the time to write a review about their experience at our hotel. I wish this guest could have seen Kia jump up and down with excitement over their comments. We are so happy this guest experienced the customer service and clean accommodations we work so hard to provide. We look forward to serving this guest and the family again. Hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

The best thing for me about this hotel was the little that you had to interact or see any of the staff. You are left alone to enjoy your trip and don't have to see anyone, any time you leave or go back to your room. It is a motel style, meaning, that your the way to get to your rooms is through an outdoor hallway. It is nice to feel the great weather as soon as you step out of your room. The balconies were great too. The only negative was the fact that the doors to the balcony are really heavy and make a really loud slam if you don't guide it shut. It is conveniently located right next to a really great restaurant and is right on the beach.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Angela D
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

I am so happy to read that this guest truly enjoyed their stay. I appreciate their taking the time to write a review and provide us with feedback. I am glad they were able to enjoy the location and the nice weather we had overall in December. It was a great time to visit as it is a slower time of year, so you can feel like you have the place to yourself. I do hope they plan to return and stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

We started out with a regular room then we thought we would ask how much it would cost to upgrade to an ocean view and they gave the price which wasn't bad but we said no thank you. Well Ms. Kia and Ms. Sam gave us the upgrade for free because they found out it was my birthday! So sweet! Beautiful!

• Stayed: December 2013
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to provide feedback about their stay. I am so delighted that this guest received excellent customer service from Jakia and Samantha. They will be so excited when they read this review. I am glad this guest enjoyed their stay, and I hope they will come back to visit with us again soon.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

This was our second stay at the Palms. We get a top floor with full beach view and it is great. Our experience with staff and service has been very good. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. The location is as close to the beach as you will find, and the surrounding area is quite nice. Sept-Oct is a good time to be there since the weather is good and it is less crowded. We will likely return.

Room Tip: Beach view rooms are best. Haven't seen the others.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

I would like to thank the author of this review for being a repeat guest of the hotel. I am so glad they enjoyed their stay again, and were pleased with their accommodations. I am also glad they found the service of the staff to be satisfactory. We look forward to serving their needs again. I certainly hope they will return to stay with us soon.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed here November 7 - 9 and I was nervous about staying here after reading recent reviews. We have stayed here several times over the years with no problems. We had a wonderful time this trip with no problems. The front desk took care of everything I ask for and our room was clean. We reserve a king ocean front room and enjoy the view. Housekeeping was great. The hotel is showing some signs of age but it was clean and it is ocean front. We don't ever get to stay a full week so this is the way to go for us. We know what to expect about parking so that isn't an issue. It is free on the street or in the lot across the street in November but you will have to pay in peak season. There was a stain on the carpet and the kitchen area showed some age but everything worked and was clean. The free breakfast is OK but it is free so I can't complain about that. The pancake machine attracted the kids and a wait so I went for cereal and fruit and I was good to go. I recommend Acme Low Country Kitchen for a good full breakfast. It is one street over about a 3 minute walk. I do book online directly with the hotel to get the best rate. You can also see the room types and know what you are getting. I recommend to spend the extra money for the ocean front. Isle of Palms is a quiet beach community. We come for the beach . If you want non-stop action - don't come here. I sit my chair on the beach and just enjoy my time here. I will be back here next trip.

Room Tip: I would suggest an ocean front room. It does cost more but the view is nice. I go to the beach for...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

I really appreciate this guest taking the time to write a review for the hotel and for being a loyal guest of ours. I am so glad they found their accommodations to be clean and the housekeeping staff to be great! I am also glad these guests found the front desk staff to be helpful. That is all I as a manager can ask for from my staff, great customer service and a clean environment. I am so glad they achieved this from this guest's perspective. I certainly look forward to this guest's return. I am so delighted they enjoyed their stay and benefited from our location.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isle of Palms
Wyndham Garden Charleston Mount Pleasant
Belmond Charleston Place
Belmond Charleston Place
#13 of 61 in Charleston

Been to The Palms Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!