“Good location but sketchy!”

The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Good location but I felt unsafe and it was dirty. I would definitely not take any young children. In the early hours of the morning someone next door was screaming and crying like they were being murdered, and the cops came. I almost climbed out the window to leave. Definitely not worth the money, get a condo.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

It is unfortunate that this guest felt unsafe during their stay with us. They obviously had rowdy neighbors that caused a situation that resulted in the police having to be called. While we have no control over the clientele that decide to stay with us. We do all we can to diffuse any situation that a guest may cause, sometimes that would involve calling authorities to handle it. If anything, the police being there should make one feel a little safer, not the opposite. Having the authorities come to our hotel is a rare occurrence, but when we feel it is necessary, we do what we have to do to remove the problem, and ensure a safe environment for the rest of our guests. I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to voice their opinion.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I just returned from a stay and all I can say is YUCK! This place needs a major cleaning. The furniture in the room was old and in need of replacement. There're was a huge bug that ran across my husbands foot in the bathroom. Hair on the bathroom floor. So much dust in the hair dryer it had a burning smell when it was used. It's too bad that such a nice location has such a terrible hotel. Most of the places were rental homes, but it was only 2 of us and we just needed a hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013

I do regret to read this review from an unsatisfied customer. I want to apologize to them for the condition they found their room in. I appreciate their feedback, and it has been taken to heart and shared with the staff. I do hope they will give us another chance to provide the type of accommodations we are capable of offering. The time they took to write this review was appreciated.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Spent a weekend there. Hotel is showing quite a bit of wear, but the thing that bothered me the most is that we ended up with a room with no outside window. One side if the hotel is incredibly close to the building next door, so none of the rooms on that side have any outside windows. That bothered me more than I would have thought. I hated having to leave the room to see what the weather was like, and hated waking up in the morning and not even being to tell if it was daylight out except by looking at the clock. Otherwise, it was decent, but nothing special. Bathroom was so small that a chunk had to be cut out of the bathroom door so it would clear the toilet when you opened it. Shower was good. Beds decent. AC was cold. Continental breakfast was pretty sparse, but staff was very nice. All in all, not a bad beach hotel, but make sure to get a room with a balcony!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to write a review to provide feedback about their stay. I am glad they found their accommodations to be satisfactory as far as the comfort of the beds and performance of the A/C unit. I am also glad to see that they found the staff to be friendly. I do hope this guest will return to stay with us, except this time getting a room that offers a view of some kind. I appreciated this guest staying with us, and I again would like to thank them for their time.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

If you want close proximity to the beach, this is a good hotel to be in. Unfortunately for people who are lazy to drive out and wants the beach closeby, the price is ridiculously overboard. Even if a group of 4 splits the bill for a one day stay, it's still going to be a rough $90 each per day. You only need to add $20 more to get a much more decent room at a Holiday Inn in Mt. Pleasant 20 minutes away, and divide that by four persons. The room area wasn't as sparkling clean as I thought (I know how hard it is to maintain a beachside hotel as I also work in the same industry) but it could be better. It could use a good vacuuming. The bathroom tho' was commendable.

The continental breakfast was abundant by motel standards and the night audit person was very accommodating by brewing us a fresh pot of coffee when we came back to the hotel around 3am from a night out in Charleston. Parking was sufficient as we didn't have problems getting a spot even if we arrived very late in the evening.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

We appreciate this guest's honest review. As someone who works in the same industry, their feedback is valuable, and we will take it to heart as we do all our reviews. I am glad they enjoyed the location, the continental breakfast, and the customer service they received. Perhaps this guest and their friends could come and stay with us again when it isn't our peak season and prices reflect that. I again would like to thank them for their feedback, and hopefully they will come visit with us again.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The location is great!! Other than that , this hotel is terrible! The bathroom was moldy and rusted, there were ants all over the bathroom floor! There were roaches on the bed and when I called the front desk to complain, they told me it had been raining alot lately which caused the bug infestation?! OK, so I had to sleep in a room infested with bugs! You have to pay extra to park and walk across the street, no onsite parking , no complimentary parking. The sheets are cheap and itchy as well as the pillows cheap and flat. The place needs some serious renovations. We stayed thru labor day weekend and were charged $360 a night for beachfront!!! we could hear every little noise in the breezeway even people getting ice while we slept! So noisy and Horrible!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms share a common walkway so everything echos and you can even hear people getting ice...
2  Thank jessiebee143

We appreciate this guest providing feedback about their stay. I do want to apologize for the inconveniences they experienced. However, infestation is by far not an accurate term to use. There has been a slight increase in sightings due to the excessive rain we have had this spring/summer, something I am sure the clerk overheard from the exterminator himself, but infestation is not what we are dealing with. We are all over the problem and have had the exterminator coming out weekly, in opposed to the normal monthly treatment to ensure this is nipped in the bud before it becomes an infestation. The parking is not something in our power to change, but the other issues mentioned have been taken into consideration. Again, we appreciate the time this guest took to write a review.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed at the hotel in August 2013. Reading some of the other reviews I was nervous, but the hotel was fine. It provides a great location in relation to the beach as it is oceanfront and a easy walk to restaurants and stores. Our room, 324, was clean and the complimentary breakfast was very good. Other reviewers had complaints regarding the overall cleanliness of the hotel. In general, I would agree it could be better maintained, but it is a beach hotel. All in all I found it to be a good value and would stay there again.

1  Thank irishguy122
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

We appreciate this guest taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We are glad that this guest decided to come stay and see for themselves the type of service we can provide. It is great that they found their accommodations to be clean and they enjoyed the breakfast. We look forward to this guest returning to stay with us again.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Not sure where these other folks stayed who were so negative .... We recently spent a week at the Palms and had an excellent experience. Considering the congested area of the hotel, the drop-off space was really nice - off street, easily accessible and with enough baggage carts that you didn't have to fight for one! The front desk staff were very efficient in checking us in and out, and they were always friendly and courteous, providing much helpful information about the locale (restaurants and driving information) which made our stay even better. The room, while not the Taj Mahal, was very nice, quiet, clean and comfortable, and the maids did a great job of taking care of it. The location was excellent for a week ivisiting the Charleston area and enjoying the beach, and we certainly recommend this to anyone considering visiting the Isle of Palms and Charleston.

1  Thank John G
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

We want to thank this guest for the time they took to write a review for our hotel. It is deeply appreciated. We are so delighted that they were happy with their accommodations and the friendliness of the staff. Everyone here works really hard to ensure our guest's needs are taken care of, and it warms our hearts when it pays off with a satisfied guest as a result. We certainly hope this guest returns to stay with us again when they are back in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isle of Palms
Tides Folly Beach
Tides Folly Beach
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach
Homewood Suites Charleston - Mt Pleasant
Homewood Suites Charleston - Mt ...
#10 of 25 in Mount Pleasant
Hampton Inn and Suites Charleston/Mt. Pleasant-Isle Of Palms

Been to The Palms Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!