“Pictures on website are deceiving!”

The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Pictures on website are deceiving!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

They allowed us to check in an hour early, as I told them I would have preferred they use that hour to clean the room. It looked like it had been weeks since the room had been dusted, the microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, door to the bathroom was disgusting, the headboard and nightstand was covered in dust. When you pay $309.00 a night for a room you would think they could pay closer attention to the cleanliness. I went to the front desk and requested to speak to a manager, I asked her to go to the room with me to see the condition of the room. She apologized and gave me $100.00 off the first night and sent someone to thoroughly clean the room the next morning. i had requested another room but was told they were booked for Friday and Saturday night. The pictures on their website is deceiving, the only positive comments I would make is the staff at the desk was very nice and it's a great location.

Room Tip: There was no restaurant or fitness center on site .
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Charlotte S
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
I would like to thank this guest for their review. I actually remember having this conversation with the guest. The guest was very gracious in their complaints, and I felt horrible that they weren't happy. Upon their check-out, they were again very polite, and I was so glad the issues were addressed to their satisfaction. I explained to the guest that a change was made in that department, and we had a new executive housekeeper starting later that week. I have seen gradual improvements already. I do hope this guest will come back to stay with us again. We have high hopes for the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This place is terrible - and that is putting it nicely! We love the IOP area but this hotel is an outdated dump. Our bathroom was disgusting - dust, hair, and unknown stains all on the walls and the floor around the toilet. Management seemed hesitant about sending someone up to clean it. Our shower did not drain so we literally took a shower in 6 inches of water. I called the front desk and they reluctantly moved us to another room - THE FOLLOWING DAY. The next room was cleaner but was located near the elevator and pool. The walls are paper thin and we heard every conversation, bump, beep, splash, and scream from everywhere around. Breakfast was a joke. Elevator was smelly and nasty.I do not recommend!!

3 Thank bella7719
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to write a review for the hotel. I would like to address a couple of things mentioned in this review. I am one of two managers here, and I would never hesitate to send someone to address any issues with a room. I am also confident that the other manager wouldn't either. Also, if a different room wasn't offered until the following day, that would have to be because there wasn't another room available until the next day. We want our guests to be comfortable and happy with their accommodations. It is regrettable that this guest wasn't completely happy with their stay, but I would like to thank them again. Their time was appreciated.

Travelers are raving about these Isle of Palms hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The location of this hotel is very good but the positives stop there other than they let us out of the last two nights of our reservation! To put it bluntly this place is seriously run down and filthy. I have a hard time believing that this location wouldn't support a nice, modern, upscale hotel.
The contrast from this hotel from the other two that we booked on this trip is just unbelievable! It doesn't have anything to do with price either because this one fell right in the middle. They must have just become complacent because the location fills the rooms regardless of the condition or experience. The staff were friendly enough ( if not super professional looking ) but I would certainly not recommend or book again!

Room Tip: If you don't get an oceanfront I can't imagine why you're here!
2 Thank Dittmo
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
It is disappointing to read this dissatisfied guest's review. Even though we have lost this guest as a customer, we have taken the things they mentioned to heart, as we do with all reviews. We have started our improvements, and our looking for things to only go up moving forward. With that said, we do hope this guest will give us another try when visiting the area again. Either way, we appreciate their time and feedback.
Kentucky
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I do not recommend. High price for low quality. Ocean view room, over charged on arrival $228 a night (highed than booked $159). Many issues: dusty furniture, aged decor, blown out wall plugs, green shower head, rusty toilet paper holder, filthy dirty patio and table, warm furniture. Breakfast: no pancake mix, no hard boiled eggs, fruit ran low. We went next door to eat breakfast. We would never stay here again. Terrible customer service: messed up the bill and didn't provide military discount as promised.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank vinfamily3
It was disappointing to read this review. We never like reading when a guest is dissatisfied. I would like to say, however, that if there is ever a discrepancy of any kind with a bill, as long as the confirmation is provided, it is fixed. Also if a military ID is shown, we would certainly honor their discount. I don't know where the breakdown occurred in this instance, but if this guest would like to provide a confirmation, I am still willing to fix any discrepancies, should they exist. I also would like to apologize for all the inconveniences they experienced during their stay. I look forward to possibly hearing back from this guest.
Hoyt
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We traveled from Kansas, where we are used to seeing dust in our lives on a daily basis, and our little girl wanted to see the ocean, so we stayed here, choosing to spend a little extra for a beach front room. We don't live high society and enjoyed staying at a place where we could walk to the beach without crossing any roads. The employees were nice, so was the weather. If the room had been any nicer we would have felt uncomfortabe walking in with a little sand on our feet. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NEKansasBob
We want to thank this guest for their honest view of their experience at The Palms. We are glad that our facilities met their needs and their purpose for visiting. We are glad they were able to enjoy the time with their little girl. We were also happy to read that they found the staff to be friendly. We do hope they will come back to stay with us again.
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Well, as you can see, some of the guests were disappointed in The Palms, but after a long day and road trip from Greenville with an elderly relative, I was grateful for the patience and help from people like Jaqia at the front desk. The breakfast was decent-enough, esp. once one of the other helpful desk attendants pointed out the boiled eggs. I also liked the coffee. My grandma and I were able to get up and down the elevator without any problems and it was handy to have the luggage carriers. We stayed on the 2nd floor which was quiet, surprisingly, with the busy restaurant below. We could curve our heads around the balcony and see the beautiful beach. I walked on the beach in the evening and felt relaxed and safe. Yes, it was too expensive, but in my circumstances, it worked out well. Kindess and quiet walls go a long way. Also, the flat-screen tvs & mini shampoos were nice.

Room Tip: try to get an oceanfront room where you can chill out on your balcony...save up those pennies!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 280jackie
We were so delighted to read this guest's review. The picture of the guest and her grandma was such a nice touch. We remember them very well, and it was such a pleasure to meet them. Jakia was so glad she could be such a help to such a sweet family. We are glad that they found their accommodations suitable and were able to take in the peaceful effect the ocean can have on you. We do hope this guest and her dear grandmother will come back to stay with us again. They were a true delight!
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Palms this past Saturday and Sunday nights. The beach front location is the only thing this hotel has going for it.

Unloading for your stay is self-serve and parking is about 50 yards across Ocean Boulevard in a gravel parking lot.

The rooms are not well appointed. Ours had a fiber glass shower and tub and mangled plastic shower curtain that didn't work well. There were small insects that periodically flew around the room. The sheets are cheaply made and the room didn't have a very good smell and was dank. The ice machine on our floor didn't work.

Our interior-located room near the elevator was noisy. We could hear everyone who passed by each time to take the elevator (and the elevator noise each time). People who came by checking in/out with the luggage cart could easily be heard each time. The air conditioning unit was loud. On Saturday night we were awakened numerous times by hotel guests talking loudly and banging on hotel room doors.

There's a bar located next door that has live music. The music is very loud and continues until 11:00 p.m each night.

The room was serviced by staff on Sunday, but the staff forgot to leave the next morning's coffee allotment and left all the cups we'd used on Saturday lying around our room.

The breakfast isn't very good and the coffee is marginal.

I have no idea why anyone would give this hotel more than a 2 star rating. That would be generous. Someone else has suggested that you stay somewhere else off the island and use the public parking on the island during the day to access the beach. While I haven't checked other hotels in the area, not much would have to be done to provide a better stay.

Upon checkout when the person at the front desk asked how our stay had been and my wife told her, her response was that we should have complained. When my wife informed her that we had complained at least twice. She was told there was no record of our complaints. My wife told the person that she wasn't aware that guests were required to enter their own complaints into the hotel computer system.

Finally, you get all this for an average of $300.00 a night. Frankly, we felt like we'd been robbed spending that money on this hotel.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
1 Thank StevenAtha
We were disappointed that this guest wasn't satisfied with their accommodations or the service received. We never want our guests to feel their needs were not met, or that their complaints were ignored. I would love for the author of this review to contact me to discuss the problems they experienced. I also would like to thank them for their time in writing this review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isle of Palms
Seaside Inn
Seaside Inn
#4 of 5 in Isle of Palms
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Palms Connector
Comfort Suites at the Isle of Pa...
#10 of 25 in Mount Pleasant
Wyndham Garden Charleston Mount Pleasant
Belmond Charleston Place
Belmond Charleston Place
#13 of 61 in Charleston

Been to The Palms Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!