“"Bad" Elevator”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
Bristol, VA
“"Bad" Elevator”
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Husband and I stayed two nights here last week. It was an ok motel for the price and location. It was clean, but does need an update! The front desk staff was very nice. The housekeeping service could be better. We did not get cups, bath mat, coffee, etc. on our second day and they left our dirty wash cloths, etc. in the bathroom. All of this was "little" things to us, however, our big problem with them was the elevator! It was terrible! You did not know if you would get stuck or what! They really need to update! We was only on it one time and that cured us! We had to use the steps and since I am disabled, that was not easy! Be careful booking on the website of the hotel. I thought I would have a king bed and it ended up being two (they called it double) beds. I called them 3/4 beds. We both could not sleep in one and so for the first time in our married life we slept apart. We enjoyed the area and thought the people were friendly and we would probably stay again if they get a new elevator or I could get 1st floor!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — elevator
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
ohio
Reviewed June 5, 2008

nice location, clean rooms, friendly staff. perfect access to beach and close by beach bars and restaurants.

• Liked — close to everything
  • Disliked — a bit older, needs a little updating
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed June 3, 2008

First off, I really enjoyed this vacation. For all of those bad reveiws I read before we got to the Hotel, I would like to say "This was a great Hotel to stay at for the price and amenities. The pool was great and for the price on the beach was exceptional. I was expecting the worse from reading the other reviews and was exceptionally suprised. If you are expecting a bed and breakfast then go a bed and breakfast and pay the huge $$. I will be going back to The Palms Hotel in October for a small vacation with my family. I absolutely would reccommend this hotel to anyone that asked. Again on the beach and the price, the room was very clean and the room service was great. This hotel earns an A+ from me.

• Liked — On the Beach access
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Charleston , SC
Reviewed May 29, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed two nights at this beautiful facility . The sound of the waves and the privacy of the balcony overlooking the beach was breathtaking . The room was very clean and nicely equipped . There is convenient parking and many great ammenities nearby . I would definately stay there again . - Jack Kiser

• Liked — General location , sound of beach
Arlington, TX
Reviewed May 23, 2008

Just returned from a 6 night stay at The Palms. I was a little reluctant with some of the negative comments. However, we were very satisfied with our room. The location is great, right on the beach. It is located between 2 restaurant/bars, but we never noticed any noise. Room was clean. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good....better than most. I guess the biggest drawback is the parking. Yes, you are charged $5/day to park in a lot across the street, but I think it is a small price to pay for the location.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — parking
TN
Reviewed May 21, 2008

The Palms Hotel is a very reasonably priced Hotel that is clean and comfortable. The housekeeping staff and desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The beach area was very clean and quiet, a great place to just relax. The free breakfast was excellent every morning of my visit.

• Liked — The Beach Area
  • Disliked — NA
Ohio
Reviewed May 21, 2008

The rooms are good. A lot of space, clean. Our room was always cleaned every breakfast, while we were gone. Hotel, however, can use some improvement - there is rust around stairs, hallways and etc. Probably because it's right by the ocean. Location is awesome! Great live music in restaurants near. Overall - good stay. But I wouldn't say it is 3 star hotel, 2 is what it should be.

Almost forgot, they screwed up my reservation 3 times. I had 2 rooms, when we arrived - they said what second room? No joke. Then offered some weird room smoking. Well, we got kids - I made it clear i need non-smoking room. Then all the sudden our 2nd room was found in the paper work? Ok, at least I got my rooms =) Then they ask to sign 2 papers, one for each room. and approve credit card charges. Guess what? WRONG charges! About $150 more for each room that reservation. I'm glad I noticed! They apologized and by the time we left (3 nights) fixed the issue and I signed correct bill. Be ware!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price vs Quality
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family

Harbourview Inn
#5 of 60 in Charleston
French Quarter Inn
#2 of 60 in Charleston

Been to The Palms Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!