“Once upgraded we had a good experience”

The Palms Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Isle of Palms
“Once upgraded we had a good experience”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This hotel is older so some of the rooms have an odor. We were in town for our anniversary. We were helped out with a last minute reservation and were extremely grateful - however the first room we were provided smelled of urine or something that smelled like it. We called the front desk to let them know - not necessarily to complain - we just wanted to know if this was normal since the hotel was older. They sent someone up who was extremely helpful (she brought up some deodorizing spray but she admitted that the room didn't smell nice and she would ask what they could do). Long story short - they moved us to another room for the first night we were there and then to an ocean view the next night. We were very appreciative of their customer service. I think if you are to stay here then you definitely need to stay in a full ocean view room. The beds are comfortable - the ocean view room is spacious - the bathroom is small - and I was surprised that they didn't have bottled water in the fridge. Especially for Isle of Palms. My husband and I agreed that when we come back we are definitely going to stay in an ocean view room. We have to hand it to the staff here - they really went above and beyond and made our stay so much more enjoyable. Thank you for making it right for us and we were able to have a positive anniversary weekend !!! Thank you so very much !!! :)

Room Tip: Only ocean view from now on and higher floors have less noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Katie L
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
I regret to read about the situation of the first room this guest was checked in to, but I am so delighted after being accommodated, these guests enjoyed their stay. I was proud to read of the customer service extended by the staff. We look forward to these guests returning, and we appreciate the time they took to write a review for us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Kansas
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This hotel is under construction, it appears they are working on the roof, the outside and possibly the Garage. But the inside of the hotel is fine. The Hotel is right on the ocean. We got a good price. The clerk gave us a Triple AAA discount as my friend is a member. We got a nice room with a balcony and we could still see the ocean. We walked on the beach every morning and evening. The rooms had a nice king size bed and the bathroom was clean. We got a balcony with a side view of the ocean, our friend got a room with a front view of the ocean and it was just a couple of dollars more, I would highly recommend that next time. The hotel was next to two restaurants and there were some good souvenir shops acroos and down the street. A nice quiet area to stay around Charleston. It was also close to the plantation we wanted to see and Fort Sumter. I highly recommend this motel. It is nothing fancy, but it was a good clean hotel. Also their breakfast was good. Had hot food and cold food. A good place for a good price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
We really appreciate this guest taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We are happy to read that they enjoyed their accommodations as well the breakfast. Also our location is priceless, and the convenience of being near area attractions is a plus. We look forward to welcoming these guests again, hopefully in the near future.
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I came here on business last yr and it was so nice had to bring the family back. We stayed here for beach view and spent our days in Charleston. The rooms are clean, The beds were comfy, the premises are clean, though the pool had a small problem with beatles. The breakfast was fine, but not great, the food establishments around hotel are expensive so try to eat elsewhere to save money. The general feel of the place is the reason to stay here though, its probaly one of the most peaceful place I have spent time in since I can remember. The view is anything you can get on the gulf , though the beach is not a pretty, however along with the nice view from the hotel and the non commerical nature of the area you will enjoy it more.

Room Tip: Oceanside rooms are well worth it so you can sleep with door open, really good if storming
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
We would like to thank this guest for the time they took to write a review. We are always happy to read when guests find their accommodations to be clean and comfortable. We are proud to be located on Isle of Palms, where it has been kept pretty non-commercial. It is a very family friendly area. We look forward to these guests returning to stay with us.
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

We made last minute reservations through booking.com, upon arrival the staff couldn't find our reservation but soon identified booking.com was experiencing a communication issue with their system, not too long of a delay.

I work for an inn myself and while making my reservation first I called the hotel direct instead of a third party site and I was surprised to hear the reservations staff clearly is not authorized to offer discounts to close a deal, meaning they couldn't beat or even match booking.coms rate with a direct booking which makes no sense.

Upon first impression we were disappointed to hear loud machinery under the pool area repairs/renovations i assume but being Friday we hoped it would end soon which was true, the noise stopped for the weekend. The cleanliness of the room could have been much better but I was able to overlook things in favor of the great service and amazing location. As northerners we were just happy to get some sun after a long winter!

We made a lot of great friends at the hotel who we saw repeatedly which made for a fun trip! We would visit again!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Chrlsearose4
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
I would like to thank this guest for their feedback and taking the time to write a review. I just want to address the comment about matching rates with third parties. I actually do allow the desk staff to match rates as long as they verify on that particular site that the rate the guest is quoting is correct. I have a new desk clerk and as anyone knows, it takes time for them to get acclimated. I will share this review with the clerk to advise them of the policies set in place so that this misunderstanding doesn't occur again. I do appreciate this guest bringing that to my attention. We are also working with getting the new housekeepers hired for the season to perform at the standards required. I am glad to read that despite the problems encountered this guest will return to stay with us, and I look forward to them experiencing the cleanliness and service we take pride in here at The Palms.
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I am actually staying at this hotel right now. I booked it based on other reviews on Trip Advisor. But I am sorely disappointed. I am not terribly picky about hotel rooms, but do expect them to be clean, especially for a rate of $225 a night. Our room is anything but clean. The shower is dirty and the shower curtain has mildew on it. There are no shelves in the shower so there isn't anywhere to put your shampoo, etc. There is no closet, just a rack to hang things on that is about four feet from the floor, so our clothes are currently touching the unclean floor. The bed linens are stained and dirty.

If you like clean rooms with basic amenities (like a normal shower and a closet), I suggest you book elsewhere. Honestly, a chain hotel is going to be better than this. It is nice that its on the beach, but the hotel offered no chairs or towels to use on the beach. So you may as well just drive to the very convenient public beach access right next door!

In short, I would not recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Mfinnegan123
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
I do regret to read that this guest is unsatisfied with their accommodations. They are actually staying in a handicapped accessible room, which explains why the closet area is hung lower than standard. I will be more than happy to discuss the cleanliness issues with this guest if given the opportunity before they depart. If not, they can feel free to contact me at a later time with their concerns. I welcome whatever feedback they wish to further provide me, and I look forward to speaking with them personally.

Travelers are raving about these Isle of Palms hotels

sparks nv
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The location can't be beat! Quiet island. There is a loud restaurant next door, but they shut down early. You are sol close to the ocean that the surf puts you to sleep. Great mattresses. The property is not quite as clean as it could be and a bit run down. But, we would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank fiddlestogo
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I am very delighted that this guest enjoyed the location of our hotel. It was nice to read that they took in the sounds as well as the views. It is very relaxing, and I am glad they were able to experience that. I also appreciate their honest feedback about the condition of the facilities. We welcome such comments because they only help us to improve. I want to thank this guest for the time they took to write a review, and we look forward to their return.
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We have been staying at the Palms Hotel for over 7 years now. We travel to Charleston at least 6 times a year to enjoy the beaches and the awesome weather. We always stay at the Palms. It is clean, friendly and we feel safe there. We always get an ocean front room. The island has everything you need for a relaxing get-a-way. We are always made feel very welcome by the staff and we love them! Especially Susan (desk clerk) we always talk about rescuing homeless animals. Housekeeping gals always take good care of us too :) No other place for us ~~ they are like family!

Room Tip: always get ocean front - beautiful view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan H
The entire staff wants to thank these guests for taking the time to write a review. We want to say we really love this couple as well and we always look forward to their visit. We are so glad that they feel safe and right at home when they stay here, that is really important to us. Again, we appreciate their being very loyal guests, and their time in writing this review was valuable to us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isle of Palms
Harbourview Inn
#5 of 60 in Charleston
French Quarter Inn
#2 of 60 in Charleston

Been to The Palms Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!