“There Won't Be A Next Time”

Liberty Taproom & Grill
Ranked #15 of 86 Restaurants in Irmo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Columbia, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“There Won't Be A Next Time”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Liberty on the Lake provides consistently bad service with mediocre food. Each of my visits to this restaurant have met with excessively long waits for our food, poor service and food that offers little to brag about. My last - and I do mean last - visit was today. After waiting nearly an hour for our food to arrive, two members of our party of three didn't receive what we ordered. When we brought the mistakes to the attention of our waiter, he immediately developed an attitude and was blatantly discourteous. We reported this to the manager. Even after the manager intervened, our orders were not correct. I hear frequent complaints from nearby residents about slow and poor service. Lake Murray needs a great dining spot, and Liberty has enormous potential. But until this restaurant is staffed with competent personnel who care about good customer service, this is NOT a place you want to visit. I will not return.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Rock H

“Average place to eat with a really good view”
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Beer is overpriced
View is good
Service is slow and sporadic
Food was average
Nice place to go for a relaxing dinner, but do not have high expectations

Columbia
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Went here 2 days ago, my first time going to a Liberty Tap Room because I know that there is one in the Vista too. We were a party of 5.
LOCATION- behind a large apartment complex, makes you doubtful that you're at the right location. You literally have to drive through the apt complex parking area to get to the restaurant. However, its right near the marina which is nice and if you sit outside a nice breeze and good scenery to look at.
PARKING- horrible, like I already stated its behind an apt complex and there's no sign stating parking for liberty customers, so we parking in the back, possible in the apt complex parking for their residents' visitors or something. Parking is a pain because the boaters and residents park there and you have to walk far due to lack of parking space.
RESTAURANT- it was a two level restaurant. Loud - very loud, I don't really like loud places. And we went on a Sunday afternoon. No real dress code that I noticed - kids were in there swim suits and women in covers over theirs. I really didn't like the noise level. The serving women wore skimpy shorts. Clean areas on the inside, nice booths and tables. Kid friendly.
SERVICE - Seating was prompt - we didn't have to wait at all. We were seated upstairs and had a good view of the marina. Our server was prompt however her service wasn't that good after that. Drinks got confused - which is no big deal but why write down what people want and it still turn out to be wrong. I had requested a water at the end of my meal twice and never received it
FOOD - not that great. For appetizers we got loaded fries and (we were supposed to have the coconut shrimp) but we were given peel and eat or something like that - it was cold shrimp like shrimp cocktail. The fries was really good - it had cheese, ranch sauce and bacon bits. We ordered our food the same time we ordered the appetizers. Appetizers came about 5 mins later after ordering, 10 mins later we were done with those 25-30 mins later our food arrived. By that time we were - antsy and very hungry. Our server never gave us a time reminder of when the food was coming no explanation of why it was late. Nobody ordered anything complicated that would have required extra long time like steaks - I got a hamburger, the others - pizza, fish sandwich and honey bourbon chicken x 2. Well the pizza was burnt - had to be returned and they were going to make another one. The bourbon chicken - was stated to be dry by both parties. My burger was fine and fish sandwich was fine. The new pizza didn't arrive until it was time to go and it was fine.
CUSTOMER SERVICE - the manager I assume for the night, came and apologized about the lateness of the food arriving and that fact that the pizza was burnt and decided to let the pizza meal be free. I felt as though a greater discount should have been given due to their timeliness or lack thereof of service but it was an experience. It wasn't overly crowded so I can't blame that as a reason for it being so slow.
OVERALL - it would be a top place to go back to or recommend to friend.
PS - pics to be posted soon

Columbia, SC
“Disappointing”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The 1st few times my husband and I went to Liberty on the Lake we really enjoyed our food. Although service can run slow the view and the food were worth it. However, on a return trip this past weekend, we were disapponted.

They have changed the menu. They no longer offer our 3 favorites - crabcake apps, crabcake sandwich and the boursin burger. The menu is now no different from the Liberty in the Vista. Why have a restaurant on the lake when you don't serve great seafood? If we want seafood, I guess we will have to go somewhere else. And, we usually want seafood.

Also, we tried the advertised boat delivery at the dock. We ordered and waited. Another boat pulled up, went in the restaurant and were done before we ever received our food. Not worth the wait (50 minutes)- we were burning daylight!

Visited August 2013
“A disorganized place.”
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Very slow service. View very nice. Food okay. Could be a wonderful place. Too loud. The waitress seemed ashamed about the slow service in the kitchen. More of a"bar" type place. Less family friendly. Needs a good manager.

1 Thank Tmkjr