“Not what you would expect from a Hyatt”

Hyatt Place Columbia
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Irmo
Rock Hill, SC
“Not what you would expect from a Hyatt”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband stayed at this Hyatt recently for a business trip, and he was very disappointed. The room smelled musty, the furniture was archaic, the bathroom was tiny, and there were no vending machines on any floor - you had to go to the front desk for a drink. Also, the elevators were extremely slow, and he had a terrible night's sleep because he could hear doors opening in the hallway. The air conditioner kicked on every 10 minutes regardless. He did email the hotel manager, and they sent him an apology. It's just that this hotel did not represent the name Hyatt well at all. I don't think we will be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Georgia
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Overall we had a good stay at this hotel. The room was pretty clean and it was nice to have the wet bar in the suite. The only downside is the small bathroom. You have to completely stand in the bathroom to close the door once you walk inside, but other than that it was very nice. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast as well. They served hot food as well as bagels, fruit, yogurt etc. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have noted as of late hotels are taking cleanliness and service to a new level as they compete for the ever-shrinking vacation dollar. My girlfriend invited me to South Carolina to celebrate my birthday. We live in different states and neither wanted to drive far so we compromised and met in the middle. Just outside of Columbia we chose the Hyatt. The first thing I look for is the cleanliness of the parking lot and it was pristine. We walked into the lobby and it was fresh and had a very clean smell as did the elevator the hallways and our room.
The young lady at the front desk greeted us very warmly and gave us a preference of the floor we want to be on and the direction that the room faced. We did not want to be near the elevator nor hear the sounds coming from swimming pool.
The only drawbacks I have size of the room and the way it is configured. The bathroom is very clean but it was also very small. If you are sharing a room and one person is an early riser they will be awakened by the sound of the fan in the bathroom that automatically comes on when the light is on. They will also be awakened by the light over the sink area, which is directly across from the bed. The refrigerator does not keep items very cold and there is o microwave. Like many of my fellow reviewers I have to speak to the complimentary breakfast. If you want to fill up on a lot of carbs then go for it. Breakfast sandwiches, cereal, pastries, bagels, fruit and yogurt. Remember it is complementary so you get what you pay for. If I may quote Arnold Schwarzenegger in the Terminator”I'll be back”. The Hyatt is doing a great job. Great teamwork among staff.

Room Tip: Upper floor away from the elevator and out side pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GREENEVILLE, TENNESSEE
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

After searching for an hour for a last minute place to stay in Columbia, I ran across this gem! Normally, I stay at top of the line hotels in the city so I was some what reluctant. My rate was only 98.00 for a double bed room. The room was very clean and way beyond my expectations. Separate living/office/ bed areas... Very spacious and comfy! Very well appointed and upscale furnishings. I stayed in 107.The staff was fabulous and helped me make copies for a meeting. The breakfast was great...eggs Benedict, French toast, Canadian bacon biscuits with gouda cheese...wow! Its away from the crowd in the west side. I will stay here every time I visit Columbia..it's that good!

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Alpharetta, GA
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is the first time I have stayed in this hotel, but I will be back! The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was large, clean, and the bed very comfortable. When we checked in we were told that the pool was closed due to unexpected maintenance. To make up for that, they awarded an additional 2500 points and offered a free in-room movie. We went out to visit family, and when we returned, they had also put together a manager's reception with food and a glass of wine or a beer to make up for the pool maintenance issue. We also found a voucher in our room for a free night's stay at their hotel. In my opinion, they went above and beyond what most hotels would have done to make up for an unexpected maintenance issue. They have a loyal repeat customer in this traveler!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Warner Robins, Georgia
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Overall, the hotel is nice. The staff is friendly. The breakfast is ok. The room needs some touch-ups. The bathroom is small and bathtub is dirty(old shower curtains, tub stained). If you are into technology, the tv components were up to date. I was expecting more, but what choices I had, it was best.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Brentwood, Tn
Reviewed July 24, 2012

we were coming in town late night and hot-wired this hotel and got a great rate, so I should say the rate probably made me like this hotel more. Rooms were modern and huge and the bed was so comfortable. This was a great quality place. Quiet and clean and comfortable. Only one tiny thing --terrible water pressure, but for all the rest I would put up with that again for sure!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irmo
Hilton Garden Inn Columbia - Harbison
Hampton Inn Columbia-I-26 Harbison Boulevard
Residence Inn Columbia Northwest/Harbison
Comfort Suites at Harbison
Comfort Suites at Harbison
#32 of 94 in Columbia
Wingate by Wyndham Columbia/Harbison
Extended Stay America - Columbia - Northwest/Harbison

Been to Hyatt Place Columbia? Share your experiences!