“Great course, very challenging”

Arthur Hills Golf Course
More attraction details
Owner description: Arthur Hills took full advantage of the Lowcountry's dramatic coastal beauty when he designed this award-winning course at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort located on Hilton Head Island. Tucked within the serene enclave of Leamington, this shot-maker's favorite offers continuous lines of dunes, a rolling layout, numerous water hazards and thick stands of palmettos. This course emphasizes accuracy and precision over distance, providing formidable challenges at every turn.
Half Moon Bay, California
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Great course, very challenging”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We spent a week on Hilton Head Island, and played Arthur Hills twice (torrential rains cut our experience short the first time). The course is challenging for all skill levels, with four sets of tees. There is water on most holes, but the course is well laid-out, and fair. The second hole is particularly scenic.

If you can brave the hot afternoon sun and high humidity, and don't mind the risk of thunderstorms, twilight rates are a bargain at $65. The "air conditioned" carts are a nice touch.

Visited July 2013

Indianapolis, Indiana
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Excellent Experience”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Great course, great staff, great golf. Do it. I have been travelling here for 30 years. This is a very well managed operation. Four hour round and we never waited.

Visited July 2013
Springfield, Missouri
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beautiful and a challenge”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I set a tee time three months in advance to play this course in addition to the other two (Fazio and RTJ) in Palmetto Dunes. I was told as I entered the Pro Shop, in the pro shop and by the starter that the greens were recently aerated so I didn't hold that against them in my review.
The course is a challenging and the yardage books provided in our cart were my best friend all day. Beautiful and challenging are the two words I would use to describe the course, the placement of sand and water made me think twice about many shots. I thought the back 9 provided the greatest challenge. Make a tee time and you won't be disappointed.

Orchard Park, New York
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“I would love to play here again!”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Very nice course, I am a 20 handy caper and it still was able to find this course fun and playable. They do have back tees that looks like they would be lot more changeling. It is a very beautiful course and well kept. Only real problem was there were no pictures of the holes or yardage books (like Old South has) and for 1st time players of this course it was difficult to see where you should play the ball. There are times where you cannot tell if there is water or sand or even where the green is.
They did just get done arrogating which made it tough on the greens to read. I would recommend calling to see if they are doing it when you go to play. We had reservation 6 months in advance and they never called to let us know. Other places we booked at did let us know and we were able to switch courses.

Montclair, New Jersey
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A great golfing day.”
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Our first time on this course. When we made our tee time reservation several days prior they had the integrity to tell us the greens had been aerated which was good to know. The course seems to be extremely well maintained and the holes are challenging and visually interesting. The staff was friendly and helpful. Note to first timers, spring for the course booklet as some of the hole layouts are tricky and probably not able to be fully grasped by looking at your handheld GPS.